1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Match Thread: Middlesbrough v Watford

Discussion in 'Middlesbrough' started by geitungur akureyrar, Mar 16, 2011.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread

Middlesbrough 2 v 1 Watford

The Smoggies play host to the Hornets. The Reds tackle the Yellows and the 20th team plays the 8th. The travelling folk of Hertfordshire are going to visit to Teesside.

MIDDLESBROUGH

1156fullimage.jpg

• The Manager – Tony Mowbray

tonymowbray.jpg

“The Championship is a brutal, attritional league. Whether you are home or away, you have to fight your corner and be at it. You have to fight your way out of it. Can we? The answer was there that we can.”

“I thought we became stronger as the game went on and only one team looked like they might win it in the second half.”

• The Smoggies

Paul Smith
    Jonathan Grounds
    Rhys Williams
    Andrew Taylor - goal 45.min
    Joseph Bennett
    Tony McMahon
    Nick Bailey
    Barry Robson - caution
    Stephen McManus for Julio Arca
    Merouane Zemmama for Scott McDonald - goal 33.min
    Marvin Emnes

Substitutes:

Connor Ripley
    Maximilian Haas
    Richard Smallwood
    Mickael Tavares
    Tarmo Kink

• The Fan – dyrewolfe – devourer of hens

"Considering the squad we have, the injuries and the lack of funds to remedy this, I think its a testament to Mowbray's man-management skills that he's been able to virtually secure Boro's survival, considering where we were when Strachan left, with games to spare."

Update on the Boro’s latest statistics

WATFORD

15128544.jpg

• The Manager - Malky Mackay - sent off

MalkyMackay_595722.jpg

"You've got to give the opposition due respect. We're talking about Premier League players on the other side there."

"I'm delighted for our fans who made the trip. I'm sure they'll be singing back down the A12 while Danny and Troy are still sorting out the goal on the coach!."

• The Hornets

Scott Loach
    Dale Bennett for Adam Thompson
    Lee Hodson
    Adrian Mariappa - caution and sent off
    Martin Taylor
    Ross Jenkins
    Marvin Sordell for Will Buckley
    Don Cowie
    John Eustace - caution
    Andreas Weimann for Troy Deeney
    Danny Graham - goal 28.min and caution

Substitutes:

Rene Gilmartin
    Connor Smith
    Matthew Whichelow
    Piero Mingoia

• The Fan – Roger68

"At the start of his managerial career, even the start of this season, Malky seemed to be a rather conservative manager. He would rarely change a winning team, was not aggressive in his substitutions, and seemed to emphasise hard work ("sweat on the shirt") over flair. Now he varies the formation and line -up between games and within games, matches the tactics to the opposition and circumstances, gives young players a chance and expects players to be versatile and adaptable. He seems much more confident in his role , and has got the squad playing with confidence and spirit. He is building a truly effective , even memorable team. The title "genius" will come later, but for now the title "best in the Championship" will do.”

Update on the Hornet's latest statistics

Who will win?

Current form Three wins in their last ten matches and only seven home wins all season is not a good return. Thirteen goals since the beginning of February with 17 against is not the best form. Watford have now managed three wins in five games and only three defeats in the last ten matches show an almost return to the form of December. Also with Danny Graham finding his scoring shoes again things are beginning to look bright.

Akureyri's Prediction: 2-2
    Watford’s return to form will be given a tough test on Saturday but they will come though. A draw will not be a good result for either team, but that is how I see the outcome.

There is a history

The last match:
    Watford 3 – Middlesbrough 1: Danny Graham scored at 17.secs and two more in the first twenty minutes from Jordon Mutch and Danny Graham again left Middlesbrough for dead. They recovered to mark a late goal from Adrian Mariappa(!) to make the final result better for the visitors. Strangely the locals had less possession, shots, more fouls and two cautions.

Further into the past: Wafords journeys to the north to visit Middlesbrough started in 1924 with a 0-1 victory in the FA Cup. The next visit was in 1967 and since then only 11 more league matches and one in the league cup. The goal total of 22 for Middlesbrough and 15 for Watford indicate more success for the locals than the visitors but five wins for the Boro and four for the Hornets and one cup win each shows that they are a little more matched. The Smoggies 4-1 win from 2007 in the Premiership is the best result either team has had, with two goals from Mark Viduka and one each from George Boateng, Fabio Rochembach and Damien Francis.

On My Radio:
    If you cannot get to the game, BBC Radio 5live and BBC Radio Tees will cover the game. And ESPN have it here

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget

not606 Nest
    Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about
    Middlesbrough.

2. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

An excellent thread Akureyri :)...thank you! Looking forward to the fun on Saturday. i predict a Watford win, but then..i've never predicted anything else ;).

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good thread as usual ak. I think you have used an outdated league table though. <ok>

4. geitungur akureyrar

5. Dyches Beard

Dyches Beard Member

Good thread. I'm going for a 2-1 Watford win, but anything can happen in the Championship.. :emoticon-0107-sweat

6. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

<applause> spot on again.

7. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

And 0-3 to the Golden Boys, just to keep a symmetry. I know I'll end up looking daft when it doesn't happen.

8. SandyHornet

SandyHornet Active Member

I'm with you Zen, I went with 0-3 in the prediction league too. So you won't be on your own if it does go wrong.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Welcome to not606 SDG

I will predict 3-1 to Watford

As always an excellent thread Ak - but who have been messing about with the star rating on 606 ? :huh:

10. COYH

COYH Member

Great thread Ak (might I suggest a slightly smaller font next time though)

Will boro actually have 16 fit players?

Will the right Will Buckley turn up?

Will the local accents confuse DG?

Will the 'Orns win? Yes, and I'm going for 1-2; Deeney and Sordell (but I hope Danny gets another).

11. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Hoping for a 1-2 scoreline to help my late charge up the not 606 championship betting table:)

12. Norwayhornet

Ak you might want to write Nest at the bottom of your match thread;)

13. geitungur akureyrar

That was a good note Norway I must have missed that when I found a photo of young Tony Mowbray.

COYH I will make the text smaller. On my computer it is a good size but the reply is smaller so I will use that size in place.

14. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Leroy Lita out with a hamstring injury by all accounts - may make things that bit harder for Boro. We may, therefore, be facing a team with a Kink - not sure which one though. Ray Davies maybe:emoticon-0102-bigsm

15. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With Lloyd doubtful, Lee with a small chance only of playing, who will be left back? :(

With all of the injuries on both sides, maybe we could agree to a 8 a side match. ;)

16. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Wonder what odds you'll get on Andy Taylor getting sent off as seems the way this week with the ex Watforders?

17. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Another tough away game but after Tuesday I feel strangely confident about this one. 2-1 to the Golden Boys.

18. Norwayhornet

interesting question aberdeen Will give you 11-1;)

19. Supergeo2411Wfc

Hello all.:) I've just set off, reckon 0-1 or 0-2, although the last game I went to was Brizzle City <laugh>

20. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hey Super - have a great day! i think you're in for a good one! :)...i'm feeling very positive about today...enjoy!