1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Medical Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Didley Squat, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Thought l’d set up a thread we can all post on when relevant.

Yesterday, l had session in the MRI machine and having been in one several times before, l again thought nothing of it until today.

Today l was told l would need 3 x 20 minutes sessions in this coffin type machine.

l went to sit up on the sliding bed but was told l would be going in head first. Ok, no big deal l thought but boy was l wrong.

l was told to keep my mask on and not move. So in l go, head first and although there is a light on somewhere in there, the table l was on was lifted so that my face was almost head butting distance to the top of the machine circle. I was all the way in.

l couldn’t see out but could experience some light within the unit.

l started to fret and breathing with a thick mask became harder. I started to fret more..
    Should l hit the panic button and stuff the whole process. I had been in about four minutes.

Man up Didley, get yourself together and think about something else.

l couldn’t. I hit the button and a voice told me to stay still. I said l was struggling and breathing was hard.

l shut my eyes and tried to think about work and things l needed to do to complete, etc.

Nope, for the first time in my life l had to quit something. I could take it anymore. I lasted about 13 minutes in total before l hit the panic button again. Get me out…. Please!

Although l was angry with myself for not completing the session, l cannot tell you how relived was to get out

……….. Anyway, l would be very interested to hear of other peoples thoughts and experiences. The medical professional said it happens daily but l thought she may be trying to make me feel better.

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Hope it's not for anything too serious diddles
    Been in the noisy MRIs twice without any issue
    Just lie back close your eyes and bring in a decent CD

Didley Squat likes this.
  3. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Don’t beat yourself up over it….many people panic and stress out in the MRI machine…..it’s very claustrophobic and as you rightly describe, feels like being in a coffin.
    I’ve had more than a few and personally I just shut my eyes, listen to the whirring and buzzing of the machine and imagine it being a bit of a ‘Rave’ tune……..time soon goes, but of course this is easier said than done.

Didley Squat, SwanHills and kiwiqpr like this.
  4. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

What Stainsey saya...but obviously easier said than done.
    Been in twice...both as a control in a medical trial. The rythmamic bonking noise ( no jokes please) just sent me to sleep..but I realise it is not that easy.

Didley Squat and kiwiqpr like this.
  5. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

My late father always had to be knocked out before going into the MRI.

I had a scan under similar conditions to what you've described in March. Quite why I was required to keep a mask on in a chamber when all by my lonesome I cannot say, but I experienced a 40-minute ordeal, sweating buckets and fighting the panic. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Hope it's nothing serious for you, Oz.

On another note. I tried to make a doctor's appointment a while back and failed. In the end, I had to go online and say it was "urgent", which then offered me a six-week wait for the appointment. I eventually set it for 9am next Tuesday (31st). Just received a text saying they've cancelled it. No reason given. Instead the doctor will call me at some point convenient to them over the course of that day and if I need a consultation in person another appointment sometime in the distant future will be made for me. Pathetic. I could be dying!

I've never subscribed to all this bollocks about how wonderful the NHS is; it's been crap for as long as I can remember and it's getting worse. Covid has given many of the blighters an opportunity to be even crappier.

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I've been in those machines before Covid came without any problem a few times Didley, so no mask, and not for anything like as long as they told you to expect.

Didley Squat likes this.
  7. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

GP practices are private businesses providing services to the NHS, so not strictly part of the NHS. My experiences with my GP have been similar to your own - all but impossible to get an appointment unless you kick up a fuss, which I do. As you say, they seem to have used Covid as an excuse not to have to see anyone if they can help it. It really is a scandal and may well be costing lives. Don't be fobbed off.

How to complain if you're unhappy with your GP or doctor's surgery - Which?

Didley Squat and Uber_Hoop like this.
  8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It's an absolute ****ing scandal that one can go to the hairdressers etc, but not get in to see one's GP.

Ridiculous.

9. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

First time I had an mri, the radiographer asked me if I was claustrophobic. In a fit of bravado, I stated not at all!
    Once incarcerated in the tube with less space than a coffin, I realised how wrong I was!
    Made it through - just.
    Now when I have one, I just lie with eyes shut imagining I'm elsewhere and works for me.
    Subject to other comments about your GP (one side of the story), ask your GP for a dose of Valium before your next scan. Might help.

kiwiqpr, Didley Squat and Uber_Hoop like this.
  10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Whilst it is true about the 'private' or independent contractor status, the flip side of that is that most GPs have just one contract and that is exclusively with the NHS. The vast majority of GPs that I know are passionately committed to.the NHS and are some of its fiercest advocates.

11. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up over it Didley. I've had a number of MRI scans and they aren't much fun, and don't get easier the more you have. I don't even like watching people have them on TV as it brings back the memories. I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day with that, but I hate them. I've tried to explain to my wife, (who has never had one), why I hate them so much, but I can never quite explain clearly enough how horrible they are.

Didley Squat likes this.
  12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

As far as I’m concerned the whole structure is the “NHS” because it’s all supposed to be what I can access by virtue of my taxes. Public, private or joint initiative (pah!) it’s all ****e. Governments of all livery have had the opportunity to sort it out, but haven’t.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the NHS accelerated my father’s demise.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  13. surreyhoop

surreyhoop Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience back in the 90's when a 'larger' girl sat on my face. Claustrophobia a nasty business...

kiwiqpr, Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  14. Stroller

Hairdressers are happy to see you because that's how they get paid. GPs get paid just for having you on their list.

I don't know any GPs personally. I just know that the practice that I'm signed up to has an appointments system which seems to be designed to protect the GPs from actually having to see anybody. Uber has had a similar experience and I hear the same from friends.

When I've been able to pierce the protective shield and actually get an appointment, the individual GPs have been excellent, but I do think that something dangerous is going on with the availability of appointments. I kick up a fuss, but many wouldn't and there could be life-threatening conditions not being dealt with.

15. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Guess I was very lucky with the MRI scan I had a couple of years ago, Technician (think he was pleased I called him 'Dr') was a terrific guy. Wasn't so bad and I surprised myself when I accepted that it was just a bit unpleasant. However, before I went in the machine a nurse gave me the needle and stuck an entry-gadget in my wrist, couldn't understand what this was for. However, when I was pulled-out, the 'Doc' said that he'd like to do some kind of mirror image of the scan (can't remember exact words) and said that if I agreed just say OK or something. I decided, what the heck, and I managed to mumble OK. He stuck a needle in the entry and gave me a shot of some stuff and said that I'd feel a bit strange for a bit but procedure only lasts another five minutes. Back I went in, a bit unpleasant with that stuff giving me a bit of a 'tingling' sensation. But, true to his word, he pulled me out on time, and said "Well done, you did very well indeed. Your hospital doctor will be seeing you again today or tomorrow, so back to your room and have a good nap!"

Yes, I was very lucky, was well taken-care of. No further MRI scans have been necessary.

Oh, forgot to say, thank goodness I did not have to wear a mask in those days.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    UTRs and Didley Squat like this.
  16. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

When:-
    “He stuck a needle in the entry and gave me a shot of some stuff and said that I'd feel a bit strange for a bit but procedure only lasts another five minutes. A bit unpleasant with that stuff giving me a bit of a 'tingling' sensation”.
    Are you sure he was a doctor?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  17. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Happy you managed to clamber out again and live to tell the tale.

18. Stroller

I empathise totally, mate. I have had an MRI, but only chest down. I'm not sure I could cope with going head first.

Didley Squat likes this.
  19. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Sounds like a alien abduction mate, you're on a planet where QPR keep winning, very fishy...

Ranger4ever and SwanHills like this.
  20. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the comments back, it was good to hear your responses.

SwanHills likes this.