1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Message Of Hate Thread...

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Aldridge_Prior, Apr 11, 2011.

1. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

I unfortunately have close relatives who believe strongly in all of these.

2. Donkey Toon

Donkey Toon Active Member

Don't we all! ;)

Actually to be fair I hate the thought that there are people who believe in these things and not the people themselves. I don't hate anybody really.

Oh and have to add Homeopathy to the list. Total ****ing waste of Health funding and should be banned.

3. rabit71

rabit71 Member

people who match their avatars to their name

4. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

Depends really. When you spend a large amount of time calmly reasoning with them and explaining the logic to them, and they have absolutely no response possible but continue to dig their heels into the floor about 'their opinion on the matter' I get pretty close to hatred.

Yep. It is extremely disturbing that this **** is actually available on the NHS in Britain. Extremely disturbing. One pipette drop of medicine into the entire water content of the earth would not be considered diluted enough for homeopathy <laugh>. How can anybody actually buy into this?

5. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

Yeah, totally <whistle>.

6. Donkey Toon

Touche!

Like yours btw. <ok>

7. Donkey Toon

I know that feeling too, particularly with religion. Blind faith has to be top of my hate list. As for belief in homeopathy it is just like the other things on the list. Blind faith and wishful thinking winning out over reason and logic. Baffles the **** out of me why any intelligent person believes in any of it but there you are ...

8. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

I do not have a problem with relgious people when they just believe in it for comfort or whatever and take the good moral stuff out of it to lead their life by. But I can't stand it when people actually use it to determine their real life decisions when it impacts on others, especially the major stuff, or when they try and cram it down you throat and have no tolerance to hear anything against it.

9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

This. <grr>

<laugh>

10. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

If an old lady wants to go to church to believe that she is off to meet her deceased husband when her time comes then so be it, I'd never be one of those militant atheists who simply has to wave his penis in everybody's face.

But the main issue with religion is that while it exists there will always be fundamentalists to correctly interpret the original texts and cause harm, there will always be concessions made (including financial support) in non secular countries like Britain and intelligent people will continue to relax their own grasp of logic to give breathing space to totally nonsensical ideas in their own minds which can, when such a contradiction exists within a scientific mind, hamper the progress of mankind.

11. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Yeah agree with that, although I do not reallly buy the whole 'religion causes war and violence' thing, man kind is innately violent and religion is just an excuse for it rather that a reason; if there was no religion then we would still have just as much war and violence but it just would be about something else.

12. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

Definitely agree that it's foolish to claim that it is the only source of war and violence, you're spot on to say that without religion there would still be violence.
    But then look at a situation like Israel-Palestine, a huge problem stained with the blood of countless people which is fundamentally based on two groups of people believing that they both have a god-given right to a particular piece of land. If it was for rich, bountiful land with great agricultural prospects or expansion potential then you could definitely argue that religion is irrelevant. But it's a total wasteland, geographically speaking, and the entire issue is based on revealed faith. There's of course also regular situations throughout the world where people are killed in the name of a particular god because of their belief in something else.
    I don't think it is right to not condemn the huge role religion has played in horrors like these simply because it isn't the only source of violence. I think that if mankind learned how to skeptically view everything and learned howto tackle every thought with reason (thus let go of religion, amongst other things), there certainly would be less violence and unnecessary murder.

13. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Yes I agree that the Israel-Palestine conflict is solely down to religion and that people are killed solely because of religious reasons, but if there was no religion then you have to think what would take the place of it. If all people thought skeptically and there was no religion then there would be less violence and deaths due to religious reasons but there might be more violence and death because people do not have the thought of that there lives mean something and that there is something after death and that everything will end eventually so why not take what you want with force or kill that person. That said if I could choose a world with or without religion then obviously hands down I would choose the world without religion.

14. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

Yeah it's certainly a difficult thought, and one that we'll never find the answer to in our lifetimes unfortunately. Your point about people finding life meaningless is a really good one, some people who stray away from religion return to it because they can't see any worth in life without it. Others are taken in by the wonder of existence and the fact that they have been given the opportunity to live. I'd hope that if everybody fell into the latter camp then it would substantially decrease the amount of frivolous, irrational murder.

15. LTF

LTF Well-Known Member

I can verify this, I was once in hospital with a lady who was waiting to have surgery on her Thyroid gland, (she had cancer) she had visited a Homeopath with regards another matter, as I recall, it may have been Rheumatism, aching joints or something. She was given, I don't like to say prescribed some sort of cod liver oil, or fish oil, it interfered with her Thyroid function, her surgery had to be cancelled, the consultant was outraged to say the least.

16. Donkey Toon

It is meddling with real medicine through the use of faith healing. Any homeopathic medicine, as skalpel said, is so diluted as to be effectively a dose of water acting as a placebo. No medicine whatsoever and relying purely on wishful thinking to have any effect. The fact that the manufacturers and practitioners also charge a fortune for their dose of water when you may as well just get a glass of water from the nearest tap and wish to be better is doubly annoying.

The NHS spends a fortune on this every year meaning that some people who need real treatment with full expectation of results have to go without. It is criminal.

17. Leon's the Best

I don't think you quite understand what an atheist is Skalps <laugh>

18. skalpel

skalpel Active Member

<laugh>

And stop with that name <grr>.

19. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I hate deluded man utd fans who think David de Gea is good. He's ****ing terrible, today proved that.

20. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

That 2nd paragraph basically sums up modern Iran.