1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Mexican GP chat and predictions thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Oct 26, 2018.

?

zzzzzzzzzzz mañana zzzzzz

Poll closed Oct 28, 2018.
  1. Lew Ham

40.0%
  2. Seb Vet

20.0%
  3. Kim Rai

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dan Ric

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Max Ver

30.0%
  6. Val Bot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. La Cucaracha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. La Cucaracha

10.0%
  9. Ya no puede caminar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sñr Otro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

It is a bit of an anti climax, we all knew it was going to happen. Just a race dominated by tyres tho.

2. Justjazz

True, point taken.

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It was a pretty shocking race... That's for sure

easynic150 likes this.
  4. Justjazz

Yes, I feel quite flat about the whole race. It wasn't a race I suppose and Daniel on his 8th retirement. A winner who has no nederigheid, Danny not in the team photo (from what i could see). A constructors to fight for in the last two races should keep the interest.

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

shame, the wrong redbull died

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I'll drink to that.

7. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Max head will surely get a lot bigger...i am only sorry fot Gasly...he will get it worse than Ricciardo.

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Vettel seemed very down after the race. He knows this genuinely is the one that got away. He's been very mature and respectful though, congratulating Hamilton and going out of his way to congratulate Mercedes in the motor home.

He's made a lot of mistakes this year, but at least he's not hidden from them. Unlike a certain other young red bull prodigy

Justjazz and dhel like this.
  9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ricciardo has had more retirements this season than Bottas has in his entire career, or Hamilton since 2013.

10. easynic150

easynic150 New Member

And there are still 2 races to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

This retirement was clutch related apparently. Another non Renault failure.

easynic150 and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  12. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

For all their bitching about Renault, RBR have had their fair share of their own failures.

Have they got a similar issue to McLaren in that they are too aggressive with their packaging etc and it just exaggerates any potential reliability issues? The Honda in the Torro Rosso has been far better than it was with McLaren, but in the back of a more aggressively shaped Red Bull will it (or associated components) go back to having issues again?

easynic150 likes this.
  13. Big Ern

Well Honda have improved, but I think Brundle mentioned during the Mexico GP Gasly having used 8 engines so far this season. I won't mind seeing Max geting grid penalties and engine failures.

Number 1 Jasper and dhel like this.
  14. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Was the same in 2014 when these engines first appeared. Caterham were doing lap after lap whilst red bull couldn't even do an installation lap.

When you see the engine covers off Red Bulls internals are very streamlined. Good for speed, bad for shedding heat.

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

According to Craig Scarborough, the clutch itself is bought in - and that's not what failed. Failure was to do with the Red Bull installation, either the RB hydraulic hardware or the control software. Nobody to blame but themselves.

easynic150 likes this.
  16. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

A lot of Torro Rosso's issues were earlier in the year, but I also think they are being used as mules for new-spec Honda's for Red Bull next year which has exaggerated the engine changes.

Newey cars aren't famed for their cooling abilities, he runs them right at the edge of their limits to get maximum aero.

17. Big Ern

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

18. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Below is why I will never warm to Max or his controlling father...They seem to have Red Bull by the balls. Ok, I could understand why he was annoyed because he didnt get pole...he was fastest all weekend up to that point. But why would the little runt be annoyed by Ricciardo's celebration on winning pole? Ricciardo has been on the back foot all season in that car.....failure after failure so it was quite understandable when he picked it up from constantly being lower than fifth to stick it on pole, a tremendous achievement on the day. Why would Max grudge him that feel-good moment? He had all right to celebrate, he might have won too had he not had so much wheel spin off the line.

Ricciardo who has been through a rough spell since, during the summer break, he announced his departure to Renault for next year. Thus pole in Mexico was a sweet comeback for the big smiling Aussie.

After watching his son win the race on Sunday, Jos Verstappen revealed to Ziggo Sport, “I saw him on Sunday morning and he told me straight away that he had slept very badly.”

“Max was annoyed about the car and missing the pole, but also by Ricciardo. He celebrated his pole position with the exuberance of having become world champion. Max was very angry and wanted only one thing: to win.”

Ricciardo’s joy was short-lived as he was gobbled up at the start as his pole turned to fourth place early on and thereafter he was playing catch up until he was forced to park his car with his ninth DF of the season.

19. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's not even just the DNF's. Also the reliability related grid penalties in Japan, Russia and Hungary.

Meaning that Ricciardo has since Austria, Daniel has only had a clean weekend in Silverstone and Singapore. Two out of the last 11 races! Both of those races being disappointing ones on pace anyway.

I'd fully understand if he didn't turn up in Brazil.

20. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

He did hint at that post-race. No doubt just jarred off at the situation, but it could be fun if he takes time off. Red Bull could promote Gasly early, and stick Albon/Kubica/Wehrlein in the second TR for a try-out.