1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The most important thing...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Is that now we have VAR in place, we're no longer spending time discussing refereeing decisions, and instead are talking solely about the football.

Just as the VAR-lovers said would happen.

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

3. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

VAR and the incompetent twats running it can **** off to Portsmouth. ****ing bunch of incompetent ****ers.

davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  4. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Shoulda put this on the prem board @Libby and had a proper meltdown with all the lads helping you<laugh>

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

In other news, these things even themselves out right?

Well we're off to Old Trafford next, sure we'll get a decision or two there.

6. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

In the old days we still would've got nothing because the onfield officials decided against us twice BUT there was no excuse not to overturn the penalty decision as it was about as blatant as i've seen, the offside on the other hand was not a clear and obvious error.

7. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

The marginal offside thing needs to be fixed badly. Introduce some sort of buffer, because determining whether someone's shirt was millimeters ahead of someone's arse just isn't the way this is meant to be adjudicated.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

there will be a line on the edge of that buffer....

thereisonlyoneno7 and Libby like this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

I've got a great fix to the entire VAR situation:

1 - Hire yourself a big **** off skip
    2 - Lob VAR into it
    3 - Piss on it
    4 - Douse it in petrol
    5 - Set fire to it
    6 - Piss on it again

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This is the trouble. I say go back to having linesmen making the call, and if they’re wrong, so be it. VAR has not solved the issue one bit, but just introduced interminable delays, and stopped goal celebrations. The rule used to be level is on, which tended to favour the attacking side. Let’s get back to that.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

****ing spot on. I can't be arsed anymore tonight but I'm far more annoyed with the pen than the offside.

The lino flagged it and it wasn't a clear and obvious error. The pen was embarrassing.

Saintharry13 and garysfc like this.
  12. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

I think we are all pissed with that. That was do ****ing obvious. The offside , maybe you do maybe you don't

13. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Agreed. However, it won’t tho. £ & “company support” to develop the technology is already in place. It’s virtually fixed.... I don’t mean bent just already fixed as permanently in place. It’s the onslaught of the never ending darkness.

14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm yet to make my mind up.

On the one hand, as you rightly allude to, bringing in some form of buffer is just moving where the lines are drawn.

However, on the flip side, it would at least instil a bit more confidence in the technology. Right now, it isn't 100% accurate. Sure, it might be the best there is, and sure it is the same for everyone. But when the lines are drawn and the outcome is that the linesman is wrong by a mm or two, and hence the decision is overturned, is it definitely the case that the linesman is wrong? Whereas if it needed to be the case that, for example, a decision will only be overturned if the technology shows the linesman to be wrong by a minimum of 20cm, that would increase the confidence that it is correct to overturn. (Even though it would lead to people complaining that someone who is wrongly flagged onside, when apparently 19cm offside, would remain onside.)

But ultimately, given the choice, I'm still in the camp of ditching the lines altogether. Let the VAR use their eyes. If it's too tight to judge, stay with the onfield call,

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Okay I can't help myself... :biggrin:

But the final paragraph is spot on. I've said this so many times but the lines across the pitch gimmick is nonsense and completely unnecessary.

Despite what some people say, offside absolutely should be subject to the clear and obvious mantra the same as everything else is, as confirmed by the people who literally write the laws of the game.

Moving the line to feet, or establishing a 'daylight' rule is just moving the problem elsewhere. The idea of a margin of error is probably still better than what we have, but ultimately still needlessly wastes time.

The lines across the pitch stuff is designed by tech fans not football fans, their interest is in proving how accurate they can get it it, not in the interests of the game.

No lines. VAR gets two replays and two replays only, no ifs and no buts. If it's not clear from that then we go with the lino and get on with the game. I've always been clear on this which is why tonight's didn't bother me that much as the lino flagged it.

It's about gaining an advantage, and if a player has gained an advantage then it's immediately noticeable, you don't need to waste two minutes of everyone's life to get a maybe correct but maybe not decision.

16. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Send this to the dicks at the league.

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Cricket has a rule on reviews where the ball may end up just clipping the stumps but the decision still stays with the umpire's call. That would mean that Danny's goal would still have been called offside but there wouldn't be a need to go into microscopic detail and interpretation. If it is too close to call then stick with the original decision then everyone knows where they stand.

Bill Hill likes this.
  18. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

On the flipside to this, fatty didn't spot the penalty, and the Lino flagged for offside.

So without VAR we weren't getting either decision. We're only annoyed because VAR is there to correct bad decisions.

garysfc likes this.
  19. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Mike Dean should not be let anywhere near VAR. Not only the Penalty decision yesterday but I'm sure he was in charge of VAR with the Bertrand sending off in the game that should not be mentioned last season. He is also a ref that I hate taking charge of one of our fixtures along with Kevin Friend. I cringe when we get either.

20. SotonOldBoy

SotonOldBoy Well-Known Member

My issue I have with the offside is that it has his arm that was deemed to be offside. last time I checked you cannot score with your arm or hand (unless you are Maradona). Now the law may call out that, if any part of the body is in an offside position then its offside, if that is the case, then commonsense has left the game. I remember Bamford from Leeds had the same call vs CP, at the time I was thinking if that happened to us I would be really pissed, so I guess I am really pissed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    NorthWiltsSaint likes this.