1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Nitty Gritty of the BLM movement

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jun 22, 2020.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

To think this used to be a quiet forum with open debate and differing opinions that were generally welcomed all round.
    then the football stopped and things have slowly degenerated to the point the Mods have had to step in, I've not seen that before and I've been on this site for 9 years.
    think it's such a pity.

2. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Caught a snippet of the woman being interviewed on the radio, and I'm sure she literally stated 'The UK is RACIST!'
    Now that statement doesnt offend me because I'm no snowflake, but isnt that statement on par with racism? She is basically calling me, my mam, you, my Indian colleague who has just been made a British citizen, my Swedish made stapler, that beautiful looking tree across the road, that ugly looking tree across the road etc, a racist!
    Such generalisation in this day and age should be equally frowned upon.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Woody and The Exile II like this.
  3. Owld Feller

Owld Feller Well-Known Member

I would totally agree if it was possible to have a sensible debate with someone.

Unfortunately, that isn't possible with someone who refuses to answer questions when asked to qualify/substantiate his opinion because he thinks it will weaken his position - instead he, merely restates it which does him more harm than good.

In addition, his penchant for trolling/attacking other members doesn't help either.

4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing OF, just think it's a pity it's gone this far.

Owld Feller likes this.
  5. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It's a thread about racism mate.

People have very strong feelings and it's a highly contentious issue, you must have seen the riots ...

... I'd be amazed if there weren't heated arguments tbh.

TBH I've seen much worse, on here, over the years.

7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

she would not even reach the rank of police superintendent, if there was anything racial, she would be walking the beat

p.s. your avatar is incorrect is not the picture of Nicola Sturgeon, something fishy going on with her

8. TopClub

TopClub Well-Known Member

There is a very good debate on racism on the sky cricket. Michael Holding has given the best explanation of unconscious racism I have heard.

Kittenmittons and Smug in Boots like this.
  9. Owld Feller

I see the lawyer representing the Grenfell survivors is the latest to jump on the bandwagon by playing the race card!

Mr Thomas said there were "parallel themes" between the Grenfell fire, the killing of George Floyd in the US and the "disproportionate" number of coronavirus deaths among people from minority ethnic backgrounds, adding: "Race and state obligation are at the heart of all three cases."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53320082

Where will it end?

I fully expect to read about someone bleating
    Can you please precis what he said?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. Smug in Boots

I'd like to hear what he's said but I suspect there may be a distinction we may need to establish.

Someone may be guilty of unconscious prejudice but innocent of racism.

I don't like the Welsh but they would never know, not even those I've worked with.

I also have a prejudice against blonde lasses, never been out with one ...

... but it's no one's business but mine.

Woody likes this.

11. TopClub

Mikey described a 2016 Yale University experiment with 200 primary school teachers in the USA who were shown a video of children at school and they asked them to look for bad behaviour. There was none but they were filmed and the teachers eye movements were recorded, almost all of them looked at the black kids first but not conciously. There were several other similar examples. For example Thomas Eddison is well known for inventing the light bulb but an unknown black bloke invented the filament.
    You can google the Yale study by searching Yale 2016 racism study.

12. Owld Feller

Interesting that it suggests anyone can find a reason to feel insulted if the look hard enough!!

13. Smug in Boots

I don't believe he did to be fair, I'm sure it was an English fella, Davy or Davey iirc.

Whatever the case 'light bulbs' had been around for decades before Eddison, loads of people had tried to perfect them for practical use.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  14. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

It was Joseph Swan and he came from Sunderland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan

15. Smug in Boots

Just had a look at the black fella Holding was talking about and hmm tbh ...

... seems he was one of many employed by Edison which proves he was an equal opportunity employer.

The light buld was invented decades before him, he just improved it as did many others.

He was accepted into the US Navy, taken on by a law firm and accepted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame ...

... hardly discriminated against.

If black people want to celebrate and promote him, I have no problem with that but, tbh, they've done f**k all so far.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  16. joeisonfire

joeisonfire Well-Known Member

I’m sorry but I hate this BLM. Originally I understood what their views were saying victimised in America etc and thought yeh fair enough. But when all the statues about history were brought down and violence here against police etc then I’m sorry but no.

There are MOBO awards, BLM category on Netflix, Joshua saying shop in black shops ‘there are some advertising of this also on Facebook etc’, then jobs being advertised for BAME only and it’s called positive discrimination.

I'm sorry but it’s caused nothing but a divide. There has never been so much division between race in this country it’s shocking. I treat a person at face value not their skin colour. But I can’t see an end to this division. And the press and their reporting of the BLM violence is a joke.

17. Smug in Boots

I think you're right mate, it is dividing people rather than uniting them.

The BLM protests, in football, cricket, etc, have been taken as a sign that these sportsmen represent everyone.

I doubt that's the case and, if the stadiums were full, I'm not sure the kneeling and fist clenching would be so well received. Football has generally welcomed and supported the 'Kick out Racism' campaign. However I think the reaction to BLM protests from players might not be what they expect.

I wouldn't boo but I'm sure some people would and that would create conflict which would emphasise the divide, not heal it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    joeisonfire, Woody and Owld Feller like this.
  18. TopClub

Todays Guardian has an article on the sky cricket presentation on racism yesterday, including a video clip of Michael Holdings presentation. Worth checking out and rather better than my precis.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53361278

So here we have a band who changed their name because of the slavery link. They filed fir trade mark on the name, which was also the name of a singer who’s been going fir ages, and the singer says “here we have white peoples taking something from black people”. It’s really pissing me off now. This isn’t the racist act she’s making out. It’s obviously them not knowing you existed as you weren’t (before now) heard of!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Smug in Boots likes this.
  20. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Back to the original name then. Job's a goodun.

marcusblackcat likes this.