1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The not606 Format

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spurf, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

This is the close season and with that comes all the speculation on transfers. We have no real football to talk of, despite which some interesting threads have developed on here.

For me not606 has already shown itself to be better than 606 for developing debate through the forum.

An article stays near the top as posters comment and it gains it's own momentum. Wum articles soon drop down the order as people ignore it.

Compare that to 606 when repetative WUM articles soon pushed interesting article out of sight. You often ended up with 'sound bite' comments and little else. Just what the media likes.

WUMS are dealt with by our own Mods encouraging decent debate between rival fans.

All in all a change for the better, cheers BBC we have moved on. <cheers>

2. Don_tottenham

Don_tottenham Member

Agreed mate, i got 2 accounts under the same name on both JA and Not606 but i find myself coming onto not606 more now. I like the format and i think i'm starting to get used to it now :)

3. saffaspur

saffaspur Member

Good point. Many people will miss the bbc 606 though. I myself joined the boards in 2003/4. The original boards were wild in a good way. You could virtually say what you wanted... within reason of course. But the not 606 forum have proved to be very efficient and user friendly for all the reasons that Spurf states. The only thing is that we need to get all the quality posters from the old boards on here to maike it even better.Well done gentlemen.

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I haven't been on ja yet, but I'm not sure whether I'll actually feel the need to.
    Not606 could do with a few more posters, but I'm sure that'll happen over time, as the word spreads and it'll pick up when the season starts properly, too.

5. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Ja is just no end of technical probs, to the point I'm just not interested. Smacks of being run by people with good intention, but don't know what they're doing.

There are few little features here I like too, the private messaging is handy, as is editing your post after publishing! No 3min rule, and the self moderating is an excellent idea.

I have no idea what all this 'points' and 'achievement' business is about though...points make prizes where I come from, but I have a sneaky suspicion this will not be the case here! <laugh>

6. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

100% agree about this site being better, although you can use 'last commented' on ja606.

JA606 tends to be full of people who enjoy WUMming and they are shown more tolerence on there. I come here to talk Spurs and don't use anyother boards so I appreciate being able to debate a topic over several days, with real Spurs fans and few idiots.

7. Penshawdave

Penshawdave Well-Known Member

Agreed then that not606 is better than some others. As the BigChief says not606will be the subject of a promotion in the near future so should pick up more ex 606ers.

After a while the not606 grows on you and the many extra features will take some getting used to. I like the fact that recently posted articles are on top and that there are many team forums across all the Divisions. Something for everyone. The PM section is a great idea and all in all it looks like a winner. A lot of screen space seems to be taken up with the info panel on the left. Whether this could be reduced to save all the white space I dont know.

The number of comments per page can be adjusted yourself in the General Settings section and I find 30 to the page saves a bit of time.

All we need now is some football..... <wah>

8. Rebelspur

Rebelspur Well-Known Member

No football but am i right in thinking the fixtures are released next week ?

9. Darren

Darren Member

I think it's a bad call for anybody to adopt the same structure as 606. For instance Ja606 have essentially locked themselves into a format which once changed loses it's one unique element. Some may be attracted there for the layout, it being familiar and a comfortable environment but for anybody experienced in forum usage this'll be the standard.

The reasons as you've pointed out Spurf are numerous, quality debate (moderated effectively) stays up the top of the page for discussions to develop and grow. Content such as vids, pics can all be embedded not taking you away from the site.

The biggest factor is that we're not locked into a structure, if something doesnt work as you'd like you're free to change with the times. It provides long term benefits at a short term user cost (adapting to the new interface).

10. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I also had a not606 and ja606 account but haven't been on ja606 for a while and prefer it here by a mile.

Although this format is new for 606users, I believe it is a very common setup for forums.

11. KingHotspur

How do u find out the scoring system?

who decides the scores?

12. No Kane No Gain

A bit like on Mock the Week?

13. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

Considering it's the close season and a traditional quiet time for sites like these, I am pleasantly surprised by Not606. I am still waiting for my authorising Email from JA after a week, so I guess that tells a tale of the quality of that site. I like the format and the fact that there are some familiar old faces here (yes even the WUMs) I reckon as we get closer to the season starting, more old 606ers will appear.

14. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Well it seems to me that the hard core of the old 606 Spurs board are on this site anyway. Like who is missing?

15. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Well-Known Member

There are a few people I haven't seen (correct me if I am wrong)

Grandspurs, Spurcat, Spuradic, Galvin & Stacey, rothspur, sandy brown, bent a toff

There are one or two people who haven't posted on here for months, like Papa Moomin, who was always funny

16. SoppyMug

SoppyMug Member

A lot of people are still undecided as to which forum to go to. Once the new season kicks off they will make a choice. Unless Leo Messi signs in the meantime giving us all something to talk about

17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's because I'm dedicated, whereas you slag it about with anyone! <laugh>

You've got no Rep Power either, for some reason.

18. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

They might be here under different usernames Colonel.

19. KingHotspur

Le Clique? I think they set up their own FB group.

20. No Kane No Gain

Messia and RRP seem to have chosen ja606 and aanp is squid over there.

It'd be nice to have a few more of them over here but nevertheless we've had some great debates already and I'd say it's going well.

PS wasn't GST Sandy Brown?