1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The on topic thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by bucks_is_leeds, Feb 23, 2018.

1. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

A place for all things LUFC related. Football talk only though please, any slanging matches (debate is still encouraged of course) or off topic posts will be deleted and continuous spamming will result in a banning. You have been warned! so If its not your thing, don't read!

MOT <ok>

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Family's floral tributes to Leeds United fan run over and killed in mob attack

please log in to view this image

The family of a Leeds United fan who was killed after an incident outside a pub paid tribute to their lost loved one. Jonathan Binns, a dad and Leeds United fan, was found with serious injuries on The Town, in Thornhill, Dewsbury.

Today eight men were sentenced to 30 years in jail over his killing The 32-year-old, from Ings Crescent, also in Thornhill, was taken to hospital but died shortly afterwards. His father, David Binns, said today: “As a family we are still coming to terms with what has happened to Jonathan.

“He was a much loved son and dedicated father to his own child. He was also a devoted Leeds United fan. “We would like to thank the local community for all their continued support.

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Leeds 3 - Wendies 2

Goals at the beginning and end of Friday’s under-23 clash with Sheffield Wednesday ultimately proved enough for Leeds United to claim all three points.

Pawel Cibicki raced out of the traps to net twice in the opening 100 seconds and leave the visitors looking dazed and confused.

To their credit, the Owls mustered some immediate attacking reply and won a penalty through highly-rated George Hirst. Swiss international Almen Abdi stuck it away.

Blows were traded without properly threatening either goalkeeper for some time after that. Hirst eventually latched onto a through-ball to thrash past Bailey Peacock-Farrell deep into the second half.

A draw looked likely at that stage, until Adrian Balboa showed neat footwork to beat Wednesday’s high line.

He drew Dan Wallis out of his goal, rounded him, and then coolly slotted away to claim the win.

Leeds United (4-5-1)
    Bailey Peacock-Farrell - six
    Not called upon to do a great deal throughout the match, but largely helpless for each of the opposition’s goals. Was vocal with his defence and assuring.

Hugo Diaz - six
    Composed in possession and did not put a foot wrong. Linked up with Jay-Roy Grot, playing ahead of him, when he could.

Paudie O’Connor - six
    Did not stand out as much as Monday’s performance at Sheffield United, but there was simply less asked of him today. Marshalled Hirst where he could, but caught out with their second goal.

Pascal Struijk - seven
    Much more encouraging that Monday’s outing. Had the time and space to demonstrate and excellent range of passing. A technically-gifted, modern defender. Ajax links shined through.

Tom Pearce - seven
    Given the licence to get forward when left winger Balboa drifted inside and, as prior performances have shown, he looked a threat. Great engine and willingness to make forward runs.

Jay-Roy Grot - six
    Easy to be won over and impressed by his sheer size and power, but this is the sort of match you would expect the Dutchman to dominate and own. Bullied his markers all afternoon, but little end product.

Callum Nicell - six
    Much of United’s traffic either went down the flanks or straight into Cibicki’s feet, so the three central midfielders were largely occupied winning the ball back or running. A solid performance from a hard-working Nicell.

Ouasim Bouy - six
    Out of shape and lacking match practise. Ambled around and played one or two slick passes, but, like Grot, did not dominate the heart of this match as he should expect.

Oriol Rey - six
    Much like Nicell in his work rate and willing, but not the kind of match which put him or someone in his position on show.

Adrian Balboa - seven
    Well-executed goal gives his rank a boost. A useful source of help for Cibicki when he found himself isolated in attack. A fairly free role in from the left flank.

Pawel Cibicki - eight
    Two quick-fire goals for the Swede with a point to prove. Neat close control and a flash of flair gave himself half-a-yard throughout the game and he was the creative fulcrum for United. Easier to do it in this arena, but did his first-team prospects no harm.

Substitutes
    Kamil Miazek

Sam Dalby (on for Bouy)

Alex Machuca (on for Grot 62min) - five
    Didn’t add anything and certainly didn’t make up for the lost physicality of Grot.

4. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Ouasim Bouy - so that’s where he is

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Yep, Culture Club didn't want him...

6. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Don't know who wrote this, but a pretty fair assessment. Was at the game myself & (didn't realise first, but) was standing in amongst the scouts. Didn't realise who they were, & as usual, can't keep quiet during a match. I expressed that Pearce & Struijc were my picks & should be looking at some first team game time before the end of the season. The guys on either side of me agreed & was most chuffed when I eventually found out they were scouts. Transpires that Man City will not look at Pearce as he doesn't fit their type of player. Their scout still rates him very highly, though. Very. Apparently Everton got rid as he was too weak. At 14!! They've made a huge mistake IMO. Wouldn't surprise me if Spurs make a move for him at some point. Struijk hasn't been here long, but is beginning to get their attention. At this point I should also mention their striker, Hirst. He's going to be a big player, I think.

The other thing to note was who wasn't there. Denton & Sarkic, notably. I wonder if they might make the 1st team squad for the Brentford match? If so, it must surely be last chance saloon for Denton. I don't see him making it myself. Actually, on reflection, perhaps he's already out of the reckoning completely, as he's struggling to get game time for the u23s! Sarkic, however, has impressed me, but I'd like to see him get some bench time before he gets any game time, just to settle him in. I mention the bench time because I think we blooded Grot far too early & completely in the wrong position. Result? Ruined him. Hope he recovers, and his performances in the u23s seem to suggest he might be getting there, but surely no more 1st team game time this season?

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Wow, what a honest assesment.

Is he saying the rest of our defence is crap?

9. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Perhaps.

Basically, we have a choice of Cooper or Pennington. Eck brought Coops back straight away, which surely means that he wasn't happy with Pennington. Big question for him is whether he was right to do so. I personally think Coops will line up.

De Bock? So far he's played like De Cock at times. Totally responsible for goals 2 & 3 against Cardiff, which irritates me more than any other of the long list of cock-ups he's run up. It's stick or twist time for him. Drop him & his confidence might get shot for the rest of the season. Play him & hope the additional coaching he must surely be getting sinks in. That's the biggest questionmark for the defence.

Berra? It's a toss-up between him & Anita. Both are not particularly offensive-minded, & reasonable defenders. Perhaps both will play, one at LB. Who knows what Eck will think. My biggest worry is that Denton might get drafted in, but tbh, he can't be any worse than De Bock to date.

So, the big question - crap? Bit harsh, more like uninspiring, with multiple mistakes in them all.

Marcos Barber and The-Don like this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think stick with De Brock with Alioski in front of him, or swap Dallas and Alisoki over as Dallas probably offers just a little bit more defensively and Alioski offers a bit more attacking wise and with Berardi (RB) behind him he has more freedom going forward.

Midfield and forward I can only see a couple of people feeling Alioski, Forshaw, Phillips, Dallas, Saiz and Lasogga are not the obvious choices.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Suppose Cooper has more experience alongside Jansson, and as Jansson stands head and shoulders above the other defenders, it makes sense he starts.

Someone else here made the point that Jansson plays better with Cooper. I'd agree with that!

The-Don likes this.
  12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I like the idea of Dallas and Alioski continually changing wings...

Today will come down to how well the 3 stars and keeper perform (Saiz, Lasogga and Jansson)

13. 2020VisionofLeeds

I’d be surprised if it’s not the same back 4 with only question being de Bock (id drop him but dunno if PH will) THEN Phillips and Forshaw with Alioski, Dallas, Sais, PML

Oh and I suppose there’ll be a goalie too

14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lasogga has won me over a bit now, he is the best option we have but I still feel we need better before next season begins

Farsleyexile and The-Don like this.
  15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

He's the kind of striker that needs service and he has had very little service.

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

17. 2020VisionofLeeds

ristac likes this.
  18. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Hes never a first team keeper at this level. I'm sure with a change of management/tactics he will be a casualty next season. He's lucky the window is closed or it surely it would have been sooner

Farsleyexile likes this.
  19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hard to understand why we never addressed it in January. Surely he must flap, punch instead of catch and make the same errors in training?

Farsleyexile likes this.
  20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

It was cringeworthy watching Boro pump both long throws and cross after cross with Wiedwald looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights each time unsure whether to come for the bal or not and our defence hacking the ball away for corners time after time...

Farsleyexile likes this.