1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

*** The pilgrimage Bar***

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just seen a thread on Pasoti about a chap called Mike Pengelly being seriously ill and in Derriford. I used to work with him and he is a really nice bloke. Only recently exchanged a couple of emails with him about Argyle as he is a total fan. Spoilt my weekend that has and hope he recovers. Glass suitably raised in salute.

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

All the best to him; don't know him myself but judging from the comments on PASOTI he is obviously a good guy. Sadly, just heard that someone I vaguely knew in the RN has dropped dead having only left 6 months ago...younger than me as well.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Going to a funeral next week of a lady my wife and I lived next door to for 39 years.......she out lived her husband and son.....92 yrs old and still lived at home until the last.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thanks for that you 2 I feel much better now........

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe not if we lose today......:headbang:.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Drinks in and remembering the people above RIP and get well soon Mike.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Did any one watch the cricket final today? T20.. i thought we had that as the West indies needed 19 off 6 balls? Great game.. hit 4 sixes straight off.. i wonder if he would have it 6 in a row? Should have let Root have the last over not stokes <doh>

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I didn't watch the cricket cause I haven't got Sky sport. I did follow it for a while and thought at one stage England might win it. Admit I tuned out after a while and didn't know the outcome till later. I much prefer the old one day cricket and probably would like this T20 slog as well if I saw it. Test matches are a bit like paint drying these days and most of the Cricketers have forgotten how to play that brand. Probably because they do more slog and hope stuff now.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see this Saturday is Armed Forces Day at Argyle. I think that as a gesture all us ex service persons should be given a pasty to celebrate. That and a cup of bovril at half time. Have you still got any influence with this Lyndhurst?

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

No, after putting it together for the last 5 years, David Tall and I have handed over the reigns to a new team (but still no free pasties or bovril). In fact I am not even sure I will be at the match-today is my last day in the RN. Currently in London and going to my official leaving do tomorrow- in a box at the Royal Albert Hall with half a dozen (ex) colleagues and their other halves to witness the Mountbatten festival , which for those who don't know is the Annual Royal Marine band concert-supposed to be the best show available in London. Only problem is that we are all staying in the same hotel, which also happens to be the one that a lot of the band stay in. Could be a late night, so whether I get back to Plymouth in time is 'uncertain'!

11. Greenarmyjoe

Enjoy your evening Lyndhurst.. Try not to drink much. :emoticon-0167-beer:

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I do like a bit of Military Music I have to say. I spent around 4 years in two stints working in an Office just above the Parade Ground at BRNC and listened to the RM Band most mornings for a while. It does kind of get you marching instead of walking about. You drink as much as you like Lyndhurst I'm not a kill joy like Joe. However, not to attend the Armed Forces Day at Argyle on the first occasion in those years that you haven't had a hand in organising it is a bit poor form so make sure you are back in time.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sad day all around yesterday. After watching Argyle do their normal thing I also read that the chap I mentioned at the top of the page has passed away. As said before he was a really genuinely nice guy and a total Argyle supporter for life. Condolences to his family and I'll raise a glass in salute in his memory. Cheers Mike and I'm sure you will be sadly missed by all who knew you.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sad to hear when someone you have worked with passes away.....I'll raise my glass to a fellow green as well sensible.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

16. Greenarmyjoe

Sorry to hear that News Sensible.. RIP mike.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Been a bit empty in this bar for a while again I see. Have one on me you miserable lot and bollox to the expense a bag of nuts apiece if you will bar person.

I was trawling the pages tonight and have just seen one piece of good news out of a load of crap football ones lately. Spurs only managed a draw with West Brom tonight and are now 7 points behind Leicester with 3 games to go. As Leicester aren't like us they will more than likely go on and win the title this season now and that bloke with the betting ticket is doing cartwheels around his garden right now no doubt. I would if I was him and would probably do it naked just for extra effect.:emoticon-0169-dance

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Joe won't be keen on you not being disappointed for Spurs only drawing tonight sensible......he'll probably dock you points.....just to make sure you come bottom of the prediction league

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It makes me laugh the way the football people are going on about Leicester. I mean the fact that this club could possibly win the league. Never mind they started the season with the same points and games to play as everyone else and have managed to win more than the rest. Just because the pundits didn't pick them and they aren't fashionably big enough. How fecking rude they are. ALL clubs in ALL leagues start the same with the same chances. It doesn't matter who they are they can all win and to dismiss them is just wrong. A wake up call for all of those supposed experts who got it so blatantly wrong in the first place. They should not be going on so much about the shock of it all. Leicester have been top for ages now so it shouldn't be a surprise to any of them so stop saying it is. There is more about shock than well done to Leicester.

Now that I'm in with a shout for the pasty I want it all for myself. If that BC thinks he's getting any he's got a fight on his hands.

20. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

What's that Sensible a pasty up for grabs...look forward to mine.