1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

*** The pilgrimage Bar***

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

WHAT....that's a whole match before the match....will they supply pre-match entertainment and food and drink and by then a portaloo.......if they lose after all that you could have some grumpy old fans (or ex-fans).

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently there are a lot of old grumpy fans already. It was on the local news tonight about angry people being denied any matches even though they have a season ticket. This was bound to happen and I can see this reflecting on season tickets next time. I understand it is difficult to rotate the people allowed in but to be honest that should not mean they don't try. I for one have given Argyle the remnants of money from last season's non attendance and now it seems all of this season as well. I will not even consider a season ticket next season unless I am guaranteed to attend every game. Even then I might opt out. I fear good will will have run out after this and the numbers might shrink dramatically. This one is going to run and run.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I am a bit annoyed now having read around a whole load of stories of fans returning and how they are going to do it. The story out today is one of our CEO defending the club for only allowing in the same people time after time. A logistical nightmare is what he alludes to if they rotate the season ticket holders to allow all a chance. Funny but there are a whole load of clubs doing precisely that without it seeming to be such an impossible task. The view I now take is that Argyle are simply relying on the good will of the fans yet again and taking the easiest route out of this for the club rather than the paying customers. I fear even more now that it will come back to bite their arse. The supporters are a grumpy lot and do moan a lot very easily but it also has to be said they are very loyal and have done a lot to support the club since Administration. Trouble is I don't see this loyalty coming back the other way and I do now feel Argyle take their supporters too much for granted in that a load of them feel slightly like mugs now. This is a great pity given the input by our current Chairman after the last one. I fear Simon you are being badly advised.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

In this technological age that we live...it must not be that hard to rotate say 5000 fans so that 2000 fans each week come to the top of the pile in equal proportion.....I could sort it out with a bit of paper and the stub of an old pencil....so it must be a doddle for today's computer savvy generation.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I don't think it's quite as easy as that: making sure that people only sit together if they are in the same household, setting the gaps to the next groups in two dimensions and allocating the seat numbers, which will be different to the season ticket numbers, fixing entry time slots and communicating this to the fans, all to be repeated for every home game.

I can see the problem of course and to me, you are either a season ticket holder or you are not, it doesn't really matter whether you bought in Week 1 or Week 10.

The answer is of course to get the virus under control but given the number whinging about the restrictions on the pubs, that may take a while. The story going around currently is that Sir Patrick Vallance said that there's no evidence that pub curfews cut the transmission rate. He didn't, he said it was impossible to model accurately the effects of a curfew but that there were clear indications from around the world that hospitality settings did drive infections.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It is an 18000 stadium and they would be fitting in 2000. That really isn't that much of a logistical nightmare. What it entails is a bit of hard work done quickly and no more than that.

Honest from me. I did not see or read that any football I could go to would be first come first served. I am not disputing the info was out there but simply saying I did not see it. I believe that is true of a whole load of ticket holders. Why would so many people buy a ticket knowing they had no chance of watching a game. Or at least potentially not watching. We then come to the refund option. Offer made before the allocation of seats was known by announcement to the world at large. That says to me it was "well times" if I am to be kind. I believe that a whole load of people could well have opted for their money back had the statement been made after the announcement was published. My wife is annoyed at me for opting not to have any money back. It is alien to her that you would voluntarily pay for something you have no chance of getting and especially when I paid out almost £700 for the season. As it turns out my seat is reserved for next time. Well if this lockdown business is alive and kicking at the start of the next season then I would have to repeat the donation and she would cut off my bollox if I gave them another £700 for nothing. She doesn't get the my club thing or a lifetime of following. To be fair it is hard to justify as there is nothing redeeming about it.

I think the club has got this very wrong. I think they will pay the penalty for it in the long run and that's a shame when it could be avoided.

7. notDistantGreen

I can see your point and completely understand. I think the 1,800 is too low: it's up to the bus companies etc to keep their operations safe, not for the clubs to pick up the burden.

Also I can't see why the club can't have Rota A, Rota B and Rota C, each for 1,800 ish thus covering all 5,000 season tickets. That way everybody gets to see at least 1 game in 3. If you can't make one, well hard luck I suppose, that's no different than in a normal season when something clashes with a game.

I sympathise. So near and yet so far.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see that following a whole load of criticism a further refund offer has now been made. It comes from Simon Hallett. He is such a decent bloke that it is hard to change my original opinion and demand money back. This is not to say that I still think the club got the allocation stuff wrong because I certainly won't change my mind on that. I can't do it and potentially put the club in financial difficulty and that is only speaking as a lifelong supporter with no sense. I dare not tell the other half that another offer has been made because now she knows I am unlikely to get a ticket she would nag me to death to opt for the money back or at least as much as I could get. I would find it hard to justify saying no. I will just say nothing. However I will not renew if the situation is the same next season. This football club will be the death of me.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  9. notDistantGreen

Things seem to be getting worse rather than better. London has gone into Tier 3 and infections are rising in many areas, possibly aided by a mutation that allows the virus to move from victim to victim more easily. The scientists are arguing for abandonment of the Christmas free for all but the laissez faire extremists in the Government are digging their heels in.

Locally, infections are falling but the RD&E has 900 staff off sick (yes 900) and is at it's highest alert state. They have a Nightingale hospital at Sowton but they are unable to staff either the main unit or the Nightingale fully so that not all the beds are open. That's likely to keep Devon in Tier 2 even though the rest of the county is OK.

With another spike likely after Christmas and the vaccination programme running through into the spring (assuming Brexit doesn't jam the ports up so badly we can't get it all), it doesn't look as if much progress will be made in getting the crowds back this season.

10. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

When do you Guys think you will be vaccinated depending on your age.
    The Wife and I are in our late 70"s so around February / March.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm going on towards 82...without any underlying health problems and Mrs Plym is 78 with various ailments....they have started on the over eighties around Bromley Kent..but probably only those with health problems at the moment......so when the vaccine is available I would hope during January......we do know a friend with health problems who has been called by the surgery AND the Hospital....so a bit of admin needs sorting out there.

AWAY IN BC likes this.
  12. AWAY IN BC

Be safe Mr & Mrs Plym.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

......and to you BC and your family.....keep safe.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It must be about time for sensible and his personal barmaid to smarten up the Pilgrimage....and start restocking the cellar....first.... so we can have a virtual pint to celebrate not being relegated....(maybe another half dozen points will see us safe)......secondly...then sort out our beer garden for when Boris allows us to have a beer together outdoors.....whenever that might happen.....we can all sup our favorite tipple and remind ourselves what it was like going to a match....and remind the Ref where the nearest Specsavers is.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

OI! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE BAR? IT'S BLEDDY CLOSED BECAUSE YOUR BEZZIE MATE BORIS SAID SO.

Bugger off before I call the fuzz.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have fought my way through the dust and cobwebs into this place which is as deserted as a centenarians pants. There is a thought for the festive season. As nobody has been in here for a very long time I thought we might just re-open it to raise a glass for the time of year. There isn't much to cheer about but here's to all of you fellow not606 posters and I hope you all have a great Christmas and fingers crossed happier new year than the last few have been. There is a drink behind the bar for each and everyone. MERRY CHRISTMAS..........

17. AWAY IN BC

The same to you and yours Mr S.

18. notDistantGreen

Most appreciated Sensible.

Christmas is finally upon us. Yesterday, we completed our final Christmas grocery shop, which with shortages and delivery delays all around has been more nervous than usual,, We managed to get hold of the all important bottle of mulled wine, a big tradition in our household. We buy it, put it in the drinks cupboard for 6 months and throw it away. Next Christmas, mulled wine appears of the list as if by magic, I say " We never drink it, the bottles are crap anyway, if we're going to do it, why don't we make our own?" but am over-ruled and the magic of Christmas carries on its majestic and mysterious cycle.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

This place is getting old ....and you do get reminded how time passes by....when the barmaid gets dropped off by her grandson because she's misplaced her freedom pass.

Not too much mistletoe this year please.....the flu is becoming more deadlier than Covid... so less use of the mistletoe.....get your flu jab before you pop in here.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Brandy Butter in our place notDistant....and it always get eaten.