1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

True, but as I say, if EU contributions are made to Montenegro, they could find their way to, not from, Russia....

and then maybe on to London, now that would be ironic

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Or, alternatively, EU contributions to the UK in the past may have gone to Russia - and then on to Montenegro ! Britain also had it's fair share of assisted regions - in fact 6 of the 10 poorest regions in the North of the EU (just to clarify - the north includes all of Scandinavia, the Benelux, Germany, Austria and France) are in the UK.

3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

is that a recent thing or have those six been in the top 10 a while

4. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Except that I doubt the UK has the same degree of high level corruption that would allow Russian gangsters to get their hands of EU funds, as is likely in Montenegro if that state in any way resembles Albania

ELLERS likes this.
  5. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

They should do a report on that

QPR Oslo likes this.
  6. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

oh how people laughed at people stockpiling beans and rice
    wont be laughing soon
    get your toilet paper now people

7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

wow what a statement she made
    the shop sold more papers than ever
    the newspapers got paid
    anyone who couldn't get a paper went to another shop
    and it was the leavers that were meant to be stupid

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  8. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

But she'll get loads of 'likes' on Twitter...:grin:

kiwiqpr likes this.
  9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

people find offence in the strangest places
    please log in to view this image

10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Some people get offended by vegan sausage rolls. It’s a mad world.

11. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

6CC403B6-A28C-489E-A2A3-E0681B9C1071.jpeg

BobbyD likes this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Old Holborn ✘

@Holbornlolz

Tired of being told that slavery was evil, so I am evil, by people who still practice slavery.

West African slavery lives on, 400 years after transatlantic trade began

Angela Ukomadu, Nneka Chile
    5 Min Read

LAGOS (Reuters) - Blessing was only six years old when her mother arranged for her to become an unpaid housemaid for a family in the Nigerian city of Abuja, on the promise they would put her through school.

In her home town in southwest Nigeria, her mother had trouble making enough money to feed her three children. But when Blessing arrived in Abuja, instead of going to school, the family worked her round-the-clock, beat her with an electrical wire if she forgot one of her chores and fed her rotten leftovers.

When her mother later moved to the city to be closer to her daughter, Blessing was unable to be alone with her when she came to visit.

“They would tell me that my mother was coming, that I should not tell her what was happening to me, that I should not even say anything,” she says of the family.

“If she asks me how am I doing I should say I am doing fine, they said.”

As the world marks 400 years since the first recorded African slaves arrived in North America, slavery remains a modern-day scourge. Over 40 million people are estimated to be trapped in forced labor, forced marriages or other forms of sexual exploitation, according to the United Nations.

Blessing, now 11, is one such victim. She was rescued in 2016 by the Women Trafficking and Child Labour Eradication Foundation (WOTCLEF), an anti-human trafficking group, after two years of isolation and abuse. She is still under the care of WOTCLEF, which gave consent for her to be interviewed for this story.

Africa has the highest prevalence of slavery, with more than seven victims for every 1,000 people, according to a 2017 report by human rights group Walk Free Foundation and the International Labour Office. The report defines slavery as “situations of exploitation that a person cannot refuse or leave because of threats, violence, coercion, deception, and/or abuse of power.”

A woman, who says she was a victim of sexual exploitation and calls herself Claudia Osadolor to protect her identity, works as a tailor after training with the support of Nigerian charity Pathfinders Justice Initiative in Benin City, Nigeria July 20, 2019. Picture taken July 20, 2019. REUTERS/Nneka Chile
    Trafficking of sex workers, many of them tricked into thinking they will get employment doing something else, is one of the most widespread and abusive forms of modern-day slavery.

The experiences of Claudia Osadolor and Progress Omovhie show how poverty increases women’s vulnerability to exploitation.

After Osadolor’s family in Benin City in southern Nigeria hit hard times, she dropped out of university and headed to Russia after a cousin told her about someone who could help her get work there, with travel expenses paid. She left Nigeria with three other girls she did not know in June 2012. When she got to Russia a “madam” came to pick her up.

Osadolor, now 28, says she was forced into prostitution and suffered internal injuries after being made to sleep with up to 20 men a day. She was trapped for three years, with the madam coming round every two weeks to take almost all of her money.

She cries as she recounts the trauma and her relief at escaping thanks to a chance meeting with a representative of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) at a metro station.

“I feel like I paid the ultimate price for my family,” she says. “But I thank God that I came back alive.”

Osadolor has been able to reintegrate into society after training as a tailor back in Benin with the support of Nigerian charity Pathfinders Justice Initiative.

Omovhie, 33, also found herself enslaved after leaving Nigeria in 2015 in search of work. She paid an agent 700,000 naira ($2,290) - money she had borrowed - to smuggle her on a journey across the Sahara desert to Libya, hoping eventually to go to Europe.

The intended final destination of people smuggled across Africa like this is often Europe, but few make it that far. Many are jailed or sold as indentured laborers when they get to Libya. Some are even sold on slave markets, according to aid groups - a chilling echo of the trans-Saharan slave trade of centuries past.

Once in Libya, Omovhie says she started working long hours as a cleaner for a well-off Arab family in Tripoli, often on an empty stomach.
    “I worked three months and they did not pay me in that house,” she said.

Another agent promised to help Omovhie escape by sending her to Italy, but she was rounded up by police on the Libyan coast and detained there for six months. She returned to Nigeria in July under a state program to help refugees and migrants. It has helped over 14,000 Nigerians return home since 2017.

Blessing and Claudia Osadolor are pseudonyms requested to protect their anonymity.

13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

So any company that supplies a Tory with anything is now automatically boycotted by those strange Lefties? They really need to get a life...

14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Don't forget 40% of the EU will boycott our goods according to someone ITK. :1980_boogie_down:

15. Bwood_Ranger

16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

And you accuse me of just posting articles... at least mine are from the Express. :1980_boogie_down:
    Besides what is the point of this story (which I read yesterday)? It's true, after the niave negotiators and experts we used before, it's time we used the best people... Just a remoaner article from a pro EU propaganda paper.
    Next

17. Bwood_Ranger

We’ve had enough of experts though and we don’t need them anyway as there’s no downside possible to any of this because of German cars. What happened to it being the easiest deal in the world?

BobbyD and Willhoops like this.
  18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

It would have been if the fanatics had supported (respected the vote). I wouldn't worry we will get a deal as the EU have an €85 Billion hole to fill and they will be losing €12Billion a year from us. You watch them cave in. Their first summit has ended in tears over money and the second will be just as bad. I am surprised TBH as we are a 'small country'. Money talks and they need it otherwise their empire will crumble... actually its crumbling already.

19. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This may not take the form of an active boycott Ellers - rather that if the same product, or service, is available from another EU country then they will buy from them instead. 'Brand Britain' will also take another knock if products do not comply with EU environmental standards - if the end result of Brexit is Britain being flooded by products from the USA which fail European standards then customers this side of the Channel will become very wary of anything coming from the UK.

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Yeah okay CH. We will see in a year or two... if the EU is still around.