Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Don’t worry I will do my bit by pulling down the statue of the Roulette wheel outside the bingo hall and Chucking it in the river.

kiwiqpr and Goldhawk-Road like this.
  2. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I know a few of these replies are tongue in cheek (or at least I hope so). Will, does have a point. Whilst people aren't bothered then things will never change. Now I'm sure these racist scum were racist scum before the social media bubble came about, they now just have a bigger platform to spew their ****e. This is where the problem has to be dealt with, quickly and harshly.

Willhoops likes this.
  3. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

...and take that sticker calling the Buddha a fat c*nt off the rear window of your car!

ELLERS and kiwiqpr like this.
  4. Goldhawk-Road

Of course, any and all the racist abuse against the footballers is criminal and should be prosecuted. Will is absolutely right, but need it be said? Who on this board is he trying to convince?

I get pissed off when Harry and Meghan are criticised for anything and a chorus of millennials scream "racists"

rangercol likes this.
  5. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Maybe he's just making people aware of what has happened. Let's be honest, if we went down the route of never saying anything then this board would cease to exist. I think it's a good idea to share such things and highlight a real problem within society, that's more important than what Harry and Megan are up to.

SW Ranger likes this.
  6. Goldhawk-Road

The MSM is full of these cases though. You'd have to live under a stone not to see it. It's a comparatively few Neanderthals who think they can hide behind a keyboard. What would be welcome news is to have daily reports of their arrests.

ELLERS likes this.
  7. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I for one wasn't aware of Son getting racist abuse. Racism is a hot topic at the moment, especially after the controversial government report, so surely has a place to be discussed. I agree, it would be great to hear of arrests, it would be even better if Will or anyone didn't have any examples of racism to post in the first place!

8. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

I bring it up constantly because... **** all is being done. I don’t doubt that people are aware it happens but Either they don’t know the sheer volume and how wide spread it is, we’re not just on about footballers here, lots of famous people get it, it’s also all over social media to anyone. Or they just don’t give a ****.

When I brought up the Moore incident, rather than it being about the disgusting racist abuse it was turned against Moore and his performances, as though him being a bit **** this year somehow rationalises the abuse, it’s possible to criticise without being an ignorant racist ****. Moore was also accused of playing the race card.

my feelings about taking the knee are mixed, as yes, it doesn’t accomplish much, however we all know the symbolism behind it, so whilst players continue to do it the reason behind can’t be forgotten about

SW Ranger, bobmid and finglasqpr like this.
  9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Lord Tebbit: 'We seem to be thinking of nothing but the rights of foreigners'

Adam Bienkov
    Mar 2, 2017, 5:31 AM
    • please log in to view this image
      PA/PA Archive/PA ImagesLord Tebbit
      LONDON — Conservative peer Lord Tebbit today caused uproar in the House of Lords on Wednesday after complaining that peers were debating the rights of “foreigners” rather than British citizens.
      Peers were debating an amendment to the Brexit bill that would guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in the UK after Brexit.

However, Tebbit, who served in Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet, accused his fellow peers of caring only about those born abroad.

“It seems to me that the first duty of this parliament of the United Kingdom is to care for the interests of the citizens of this kingdom,” Tebbit said.

“So if we are to care for anybody’s rights after Brexit to live anywhere in Europe, it should be our concern for the rights of British people to live freely and peacefully in those other parts of Europe.

“Somehow or other we seem to be thinking of nothing but the rights of foreigners,” he added.

Tebbit also made a bizarre comparison between the rights of EU citizens and those of slave traders.

“At a time when so often these days we hear save traders criticised, my noble and learned friend the Lord Hailsham has made the most splendid defence of them,” he said.

“That is he said that a man’s decision to do anything, he is entitled to make in accordance with the the laws as they were when he took the decision. Well I hope now we’ll hear a little bit less about students tearing down the portraits of slave traders.”

10. West WindsR

West WindsR Well-Known Member

If anything we’re being too tolerant!

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

What happened to the great Brexit trade chaos?
    The ports would reek from the smell of rotting fish. Factories would close en masse as orders got snarled up in red tape. There would be chaos at the borders as deliveries were blocked, and services would hit a wall of ‘non-tariff barriers’ that would make it impossible for British firms to sell them across Europe.

We have heard a lot over the last few weeks about how much disruption our departure from the European Union was causing for exporters, and there were lots of stories about firms that might go out of business or would have to move production to France or Poland.

from leaving the EU may well have been less than £400 million a month.

That demonstrates two things. The first is that membership of the single market, despite all the hype around it, doesn’t make much difference to most exporters. There is no question that it has an impact on a few, especially in sectors such as food and drink where the EU is very strict about what it allows into the bloc (mainly to protect its farmers from any form of foreign competition as it happens). For the vast majority, however, once a few pieces of slightly dull paperwork have been sorted out, it is neither here nor there.

The second is that while there will be a hit to the UK economy from leaving the EU, we now know that it was completely trivial. The ‘lost exports’, which we have been told for the last decade would be catastrophic for the British economy, and would cost us a few million jobs, could come to around £4.8bn a year, not much more than a rounding error for an economy worth £2 trillion (it is about 0.25 per cent of total output).

In truth, the Brexit ‘chaos’ is already over – and anyone looking back on the whole episode a decade from now may find it hard to work out what all the fuss was ever about.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-happened-to-the-great-brexit-trade-chaos-

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  12. West WindsR

I look forward to you celebrating QPR’s next one goal defeat as a glorious win.

13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You can do what you want. You will always find the negatives, even with a sunny day. Truth is, your armageddon portrayal never materialised and we are doing okay. You better get back to listening to James O' Brien on LBC. You two would get like a house on fire.

14. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

free stuff
    woohoo

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

17. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to say anything or is okay to do?

18. West WindsR

I don’t think “not Armageddon” is quite the win you’d like it to be.

19. West WindsR

Grim.

20. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

UK Economy Returns to Growth as EU Exports Rebound

The UK economy grew by 0.4% in February despite the national lockdown restrictions, new figures show. Figures released by the Office for National Statistics show that the economy is beginning to stabilise after GDP fell by 2.2% in January (initially pinned at 2.9%), buoyed by a record uptick in retail sales, advanced manufacturing activity, and construction. Obviously good news, although overall the economy is still 7.8% smaller than its pre-pandemic level.

Still, there was more for Guido to cheer in the ONS’s data: total UK exports to the EU shot up by 46.6% (£3.7 billion) from January, with the number of UK-build car exports matching pre-pandemic levels from February 2020. Exports of food and livestock also rose by 77%. As expected, businesses are adapting to the UK’s new relationship with the EU – who could’ve guessed?

Goldhawk-Road and ELLERS like this.