1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

It was explained perfectly well on GBnews yesterday. You keep looking at the past and let the rest of us concentrate on the future.

2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Hecklers brought in by the BBC? Explain please.

Maitlis was disciplined, wasn't she? I forget what this was for, but would GB News take similar action against perceived bias from one of its presenters? I suspect it will be encouraged, but only if from a right-wing perspective.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Still on GB News?

First full day broadcasting (Monday 6am to midnight)
    GB News average number of viewers 74,000
    Sky News channel average number of viewers 78,000
    BBC News channel average number of viewers 138,000
    Novelty wore off pretty quick.

The demographic will dictate the advertisers who will pay for the channel. So far 57% are male and 52% aged over 65. So it’s a daytime TV audience with less women. Actually with less viewers full stop. Homes under the Hammer averages 1.5 million.

But GB News isn’t actually a news channel is it? It doesn’t have real news reporters, doesn’t break stories etc, doesn’t do original reporting as far as I hear. It’s a talk tv station, like talk radio, nearly 100% opinion/discussion driven. Not sure which channels/programmes are the true competition.

I haven’t watched any, on the assumption that the belligerent stuff that Neil was coming out with would mean that this is the TV version of a Daily Mail editorial. And the question the GB News person asked Johnson at the CoVid press conference the other day, referring to ‘our fantastic British vaccine’, and the reporting of an anti lockdown rant by someone called Dan Wootton seemed to confirm this. Mind you I find Channel 4 news, the TV equivalent of a Guardian comment piece, unwatchable as well. I’d love to have a TV station devoted to reinforcing my own specific and peculiar opinions, but sadly, or perhaps fortunately such a thing doesn’t exist. And on reflection that doesn’t upset me at all, just means I have to engage brain rather than agree the **** out of someone else’s opinion.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    BobbyD and bobmid like this.
  4. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

mmm
    Firstly QT had some leftie hecklers in when Farage was on and even he said they were brought in. After the show there was a story of the woman who said she was placed in the audience and told to heckle Farage. This is fact.
    Secondly Maitlis... where do we start with her? She criticised the government and Cummings in her opening monologue on Newsnight a while back and they received 24,000 complaints. Sorry but GBNews received 100 odd from the Woke community this week. And yes if a presenter on GBNews steps out of line they have said they will deal with it... only problem is the mics never work so you probably won't hear what they say.
    It's a sad day when certain organisations can't bare to hear an alternative argument so they mock it/flood social media with hate and try to get the sponsors to leave. We really do have some tw2ts in this country. the only problem is, it will backfire and people will stick two fingers up at them. That's the British way.

5. Stroller

Even Farage said it? Must be true then. I think you'll find that selections for QT audiences are outsourced.

Ever asked yourself how so many red-faced middle-aged men get on there?

6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

oops
    GB News launch gains more viewers than BBC or Sky news channels
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ns-more-viewers-than-bbc-or-sky-news-channels

Andrew Neil's flagship show was the most-watched programme of the day, with 153,000 (0.9%) in the 8pm hour, while Michelle Dewberry's Dewbs & Co. launched to 135,000 (0.9%) between 6pm and 8pm.
    Overall, GB News averaged 74,100 viewers between 6am and midnight, a whisker behind 32-year-old rival Sky News's 78,000 but just over half of the BBC News channel's 138,400.

7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You really have this thing about 'Gammon' Stroller. Most of the jokes I hear are referring to older people and you aren't exactly a spring chicken are you?
    As for QT, the BBC and CH4 I had a late family member that worked for both organisations and they would always say the audience was hand picked.

8. Stroller

Yes, the QT audience was hand-picked - not by the BBC, but by an external agency whose remit was to ensure a fair cross-section.

On BBC bias, James O'Brien (who quit his job on Newsnight because he found the fairness rules too restricting) tells the story of how he had secured an interview with Pascal Lamy, the ex Director General of the WTO, but was forced to give equal prominence to the views of Andrea Leadsom as to how trading on WTO rules would affect post-Brexit Britain. I imagine you would have said that having someone on who'd actually run the WTO was an example of BBC anti-Brexit bias.

ELLERS likes this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

As I said BBC bias. It probably goes both ways, however O'Brien is a cry baby anyway so they did something right.

10. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

To be fair, Farage should be heckled at every opportunity! And Maitlis gave an opinion which i understand isnt allowed. Any way Bollox Broadcasting Corporation and Gammon Britain news aint for me. I will stick to getting my news from dave the decorator 2 streets away. He says its going to rain soon.

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

TBH Dave will probably give you a better more realistic idea of what people are thinking.

12. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

In all honesty, i do find it bloody ridiculous that people are talking of boycotting Specsavers cos they advertise on GB news. Just as ****ing stupid as the people who now wont drink kopperburg due to pulling their adverts. We live in strange times and the divisions are becoming more polluted by the day. This country, since the referendum has seen massive splits in society that in my opiniom will never be healed. Its quite sad to witness really.

ELLERS likes this.
  13. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

If it doesnt rain then then im through with him!

ELLERS likes this.
  14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Well bob we can certainly agree on that. :emoticon-0148-yes:
    Sadly I think the country was divided long before Brexit. Social Media doesn't help as it spreads hate and nastyness very quickly and some are gullible to things posted.
    We can do the whole Brexit thing another time but it's sad that some want it to fail. Which is stupid. We just need to get on with it. Rather than knock Australia deals, we should welcome them. 3 year travel visa for Oz in the future :emoticon-0148-yes:I wish I had that back in the day.

bobmid likes this.
  15. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Agree about the product boycotting. Infantile. And I agree societal splits. Some extreme remainers' refusal to accept the result of the referndum has caused it, and the collapse of the Labour Party. These angry Woke people feel they have no chance to influence the way the country is run democratically, so have taken groups of the highly disgruntled.

The common theme running through Antifa/Woke is negativity. No platforming those whose views don't conform with narrow Woke creeds, banning certain literature, forcing people out of their jobs, tearing down statues and throwing them in the harbour and defacing others, screaming racism when there is none, and that all white people have guilt and all black people are victims, conducting a war with police, labelling patriotic people as nationalists, threatening advertisers of certain brands, trying to shame anyone white who steps out of the norm with cultural appropriation.

They're extremists and like the Puritans or accusers in witch trials, they will never consider compromise, so the split you speak of is permanent.

rangercol and ELLERS like this.
  16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

17. Stroller

Utter bullshit.

18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Totally agree.
    People don't need to be like this. We can see the divisions caused by Brexit and many seem entrenched. I voted Brexit and I'm honest enough to say that some parts have not gone as well as expected. Take the NI protocol for example, which has been problematic.
    Yet I never hear anyone from the remain side that says ‘okay I was wrong about that, fair play’. It's like they can't possible admit that they were wrong. Yes you will get the numpties who will keep saying ‘nothing is good’, but I want to hear it from the middle ground lot. Once we can all respect the result and understand that things will always change, then I think the healing will start. However when you see consistent scare stories and dribble in the Independent and Guardian and you have idiots like Adonis keeping talking bollox then things will be hard.

19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

As I said, when you get idiots that somehow think they are better than you, and try to mock you at every opportunity, things will be hard.

20. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Thanks for that intelligent and comprehensive reply.

rangercol likes this.