1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

Most of us are just three mortgage payments away from disaster. A little bit of empathy for the less fortunate goes a long way and says a lot about us as human beings. The current "austerity" policy is targeting the weak and serving the strong because it can - and because a first-past-the-post electoral system rewards parties for pandering to their supporters rather than doing what is right. A proportional representation system would force discussion and balance to deliver policies that work on all our behalf. FPTP worked in the 1750s. It hasn't been fit for purpose for a long time. So what if UKIP gets some seats in a PR system. They got 4 million votes, didn't they? That's twice as many as the SNP needed for their 50+ seats. (I didn't vote for either, BTW).

Can someone please explain to me why our country is a better place if international businesses earn revenue here yet pay little or no tax on their profits and employ people who can somehow split their humanity between the loving way they treat their family and amoral way they conduct their business affairs! I'm struggling to understand....

Politics! N

2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree with both.
    Should never have people wanting food in this day and age.
    Agree it's a political football.

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

That's a slightly one-sided view. Labour weren't left with an empty pot when they started and had little need to borrow at all. The economy was strong regardless. Tories took over a basket case.

Deleted 1 likes this.
  4. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

My definition of needy cases is where food banks help to smooth over difficult patches in the monthly income cycle when rent has to be paid, school uniform, children's clothes etc have to be bought.

I don't accept it's poverty - have a look at some of the families being displaced by conflict in the Middle East. That's poverty

5. Pils-the-hoop

Pils-the-hoop Active Member

It only works when you fully embrace and worship that wonderful human trait that is GREED!

6. Bwood_Ranger

Depends on your definition of poverty. It's relative poverty here, absolute poverty there.

Deleted 1 likes this.
  7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Im struggling to understand how Charlotte Church can speak at an anti austerity march? Maybe she could share out some of her millions to the poor and homeless that were listening to her crap.
    Its nearly as ironic as the anti capitalist protesters wearing designer gear? <doh>
    We live in a weird world.

TimPR78 likes this.
  8. Pils-the-hoop

And turned it into an even bigger basket case whilst protecting the interests of their backers and establishment pals at the expense of pretty much everyone else.

9. GoldhawkRoad

The very phrase "relative poverty" seem to me a misnomer. If you can apply it to the UK, you can apply it to Monaco. You'd get a ridiculous result.

The word "poverty" is emotive and should be used sparingly imho

10. Pils-the-hoop

Of course you dont........................it clearly doesn't affect you.

11. Bwood_Ranger

Of course. Clint Hill is in poverty relative to Rio Ferdinand. A bloke frying the chips in McDonald's is in poverty relative to me. It's more of an economic term than anything just to distingustish between those above and below 60% of median income in a country.

12. GoldhawkRoad

Agree

13. Bwood_Ranger

Are we a bigger basket case now than when they took over? Unemployment is relatively low. Inflation isn't disastrous. Interest rates are still good. Can they really be objectively criticised for their time in power?

14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Labour get the credit for record low interest rates? After all, they caused the global banking crisis.

15. Bwood_Ranger

Fair point.

Well done Labour.

16. GoldhawkRoad

It doesn't now, although I started my adult life with barely two pennies to rub together, as many do. There's hardship, sure, and I'm inclined to think that given the social security safety net in this country, some of it is caused by financial mismanagement. Not placing blame here, but managing personal and family finances could usefully be taught in schools. It's a more complex world now that it was when I started out in the 1970's.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Pils-the-hoop

<doh> I give up! ..........................(unless, of course, this is pure sarcasm).

18. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Well, I don't believe it to be true.

19. Pils-the-hoop

I agree things have certainly moved on.............I recall one of the Tories early manifestos pre Thatcher was a promise to keep house prices LOW!!

Also, distribution of wealth was vastly different back then........................a CEO would earn maybe 10 x times the salary of the lowest paid worker not the 200 - 300 x times as it is now.

And a family could buy a home on 3.5 x times the salary of one parent.

I genuinely believe that this skewed wealth distribution is primarily the root of the problems we are experiencing today.

20. Pils-the-hoop

<doh> ......................of course a UK based political party bought about a GLOBAL financial collapse............................sheesh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Stroller