Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

"Free trade negotiations between the European Union and the United States have failed, according to Germany's Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel. After three years of talks, an agreement has yet to be reached."

http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-vice-chancellor-gabriel-us-eu-trade-talks-have-failed/a-19509401

TTIP was a non-starter from the word 'go', far too much mistrust on both sides. Europeans would be suspicious of any trade deal with the USA and its giant corporations. Have a few reservations about CETA too. Agreements with the USA always seem to be lop-sided, take extradition treaties. You try and extradite someone from over there, damn near impossible?

Bustino74 likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apple faces 13bn-euro Irish tax bill

Naughty. Read all about it here

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Department for Exiting the European Union said: ‘I would refer you to the Prime Minister’s previous comments.

“Brexit means Brexit. We will be invoking Article 50."

That's in response to:
    "UK will never leave EU because Brexit process 'too complex", says academic
    Prime Minister Theresa May 'will order a second referendum', predicts advisor for the Electoral Commission

Article from Independent here

Given Theresa May's insistence that Brexit means Brexit, it would be very embarrassing for her to do a U turn and could well cost her her job. The only way out for her to perform a U turn would be if a General Election was forced due to pressure for a U turn. Only in those circumstances could she then stand with a promise of a second referendum. Oh not again.

4. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Looks like there's someone behind the UK in the queue already.

OddDog likes this.
  5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Those of us that can be found to the right of Genghis Khan occasionally allow moderate right or centrist publications to pass before our eyes.

According to a poll in The Times, Labour members are going to re-anoint Comrade Corbyn as he leads by 62-38 per cent. (subscription needed to read whole article)

Perhaps Jezza is better than Owen ‘Democracy’ Smith, who is being openly mocked for demanding another Brexit vote in this Leave EU video: https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/770319400117284864

The Telegraph is not pulling its punches about the possible future for Labour:

A great realignment is coming. We cannot assume Labour will survive it

John McDonnell is deeply unpleasant man – and Jeremy Corbyn wants him to be Labour's next leader

Who needs schadenfreude?

6. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

you had Corbin gone months ago -said he was no leader -he has more steel than any of those tosspots that can't even clean up their own mess - boris who ? Osborne Cameron they've all bottled it -still being privileged types they won't suffer apart from a bit of ego loss --bring on an election I say

7. SwanHills

8. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Cheers for above; like you will read later today.

Even taking account for +1.00 you are up early today.

SwanHills likes this.
  9. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Anyone seen Trump at it again this morning? The self-proclaimed greatest country on Earth strikes again!

Embarrassing.

10. bayernkenny

Didn't sleep well last night (sweats after binge) so listened to his speech in Arizona. The man is an a-hole! Strange thing I had recently watched a PBS programme on one of the 'History' channels on Sky about the USA in the seventies and who was running for the Republicans at the time; George Wallace a downright racist. Parallels with Trump were uncanny. Same comments from his supporters about those who opposed the views of their 'leader'.

Just shows how lucky the USA were to get Nixon!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

11. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

The USA is the problem here with its ridiculous 35% repatriation tax rate. If the USA dropped this rate to something reasonable then US companies trading overseas wouldn't continually seek deals to avoid paying tax. We need a level playing field because it is obvious this is not an isolated case and that many other companies have been doing the same as Apple (and countries as Ireland... like Luxembourg for instance).

Other than that I'm enjoying this. After the rape of BP by the US government it's refreshing to see the boot on the other foot. Hopefully US companies will not be able to get away with the Bhopal card in the future as they did in the '80s.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. SwanHills

Read that reading or watching a bit of TV, whatever, if you wake up during the night is OK and a good thing. Then go back to bed. Works with me, fall asleep again straight away. Of course, when one is young, there are other things which can be done, but, erm, don't do that 'much' anymore! <whistle> <laugh>

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think I'll get involved in this discussion <laugh>

14. bayernkenny

Is sixty two deemed young in 'Swan' years; never studied biology at school!

Also bear in mind I am a 'Bachelor Boy'!

15. SwanHills

60's just a kid, should be in top form!

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Get in.

Oops wrong thread?

17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Whilst the Militants and the Trots have paid their dues and are entitled to choose Comrade Jezza as the leader of the Labour Party, more than eighty per cent of the Labour Members of Parliament believe him to be an ineffective leader and one that cannot be elected to lead the country. So I stick to my assessment as it matches theirs – Corbyn is no leader, he is just a protestor.

As most of those choosing the leader live in safe Labour seats, they have no prospect whatsoever of delivering electoral victory. Statistically speaking, 70 per cent of all the seats contested at a General Election do not change hands. Most of the people living in the seats that do matter do not want to return to the Winter of Discontent (if you are old enough to remember the 1970s), so as Professor Andrew Roberts wrote in his article in the Telegraph, the Labour Party may be at a crossroads. The moderate left of centre or centrist MPs, the electable majority, will have to find another home.

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

As soon as the EU announced its decision, the US authorities were very quick to complain because of two reasons:

1. This opens the door to potentially chasing a few of the other big American globalised corporations for their tax dealings in Europe (not naming any frothy coffee chains or booksellers as examples).

2. If Apple are unsuccessful in their appeal against the EU demand, Apple would have to restate its American accounts for the last ten years, which would potentially mean that they would be in a position to reclaim some of the taxes they have paid in the USA on their overseas profits. So this would quite literally be the EU taking money off the US Federal Reserve. Whilst the €13bn looks big it is quite small beer to a corporation like Apple that currently has a cash pile of around $200bn; but big business runs America not the person in The White House and they do not like it.

We know that BP got a raw deal off the US authorities as the oil catastrophe was actually the fault of their American sub-contractor but it looks much better with the home folks to blame a foreign enterprise.

19. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

mr quart moon -those 170 Blair plants represent nobody but their own self interest -so if you think they are representative then you are mistaken or an apologist for the establishment

20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Those 170 “Blair plants” all got elected by Labour voters who want a centre-left or centrist government, not the hard left rabble that are backing Jeremy Corbyn. If Momentum want to deselect them all and replace them with Len McCluskey’s cronies, they will find that the electorate will switch to the Lib Dems, a breakaway party or not vote at all.

This has nothing to do with The Establishment. You associate me with The Establishment because I started out in a working class family, got off my butt and made a few quid for myself without any assistance from anybody in the political landscape or The State. This is just the politics of envy.

Back in 1997, I do not recall too much dissent from the left when Tony Blair landed Labour the first of three huge election victories from the middle ground. He was their most electorally success leader ever, like him or loathe him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Ron