Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

This not a betting thread, but as the following is sort of political, I thought I'd post here. :)

Betting on the height of Donald's wall.

$1:35. (5 - 9.99m.)
    $4:00. (1 - 4.99m.)
    $7:50. (10 - 14.99m)
    $21:00. (15m or higher.)
    $51:00. (Under 1m.)

All bets void if no wall built.

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Donald will be in good company. Great Walls of our time, to name but a few:

The Great Wall of China.
    The Wailing Wall.
    The Berlin Wall.
    Hadrian's Wall.
    Wall's Ice Cream.
    Tom Walls.
    Chris Wall.
    and maybe:
    Donald's Wall.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. Cyclonic

And don't forget the best of them all Swanny. Piss it all up against the wall. :)

4. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

The wall (20 feet) my wee cousin fell off backwards while pissed which stopped him drinking (so far)!

Wally Downes.

The Wall Street Shuffle (10cc)

THE WALL.

5. Cyclonic

All in all, it's just another brick in the .....

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Not sure this is making news much outside Germany, but here goes:

A couple of months ago, the German Parliament passed a resolution declaring that, in their view, the slaughter of 1.5 million Armeniens by the Ottomans (assisted by Germany) in 1915 was genocide (you can read details here). At the time, I (and many others) wondered what any of this had to do with the German Parliament, and why they felt the need to pass a decree. The fact that German forces supported the Ottomans, and the firm belief in Germany that one needs to confront ones own past openly and objectively (mainly driven by the guilt complex associated with the Third Reich and the Holocaust), convinced the German Parliament to vote unanimously to pass this resolution and openly condemn the atrocity. At the time, several members of the German Parliament with Turkish roots were openly threatened for supporting the decree, and the Turkish Goverment openly questioned their ethnicity. The issue quickly became about free speech, standing up for what you believe in and, basically, about doing the right thing. The politicians of Turkish descent resolutely defended the vote in the face of violent threats. The political fall-out included a worsening in German-Turkish relations, the summoning of the German Ambassador in Turkey by Erdogan and the refusal of the Turkish Government to allow German Ministers to visit their troops stationed in Incirlik (where they are helping the Turks fight IS as part of a NATO operation).

Fast forward to this morning and newspaper reports that Merkel's government is preparing to officially distance itself from the Armenia resolution in order to secure access to Incirlik for their Ministers. Reaction online has been a tirade of disgust against Merkel for even contemplating "kow-towing" before Erdogan in such a manner. I think this may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back for the German people - it will certainly sway many voters to the far right at both local and National level. The nation is absolutely stunned and disgusted at this woman who seems to becoming more and more out of touch with the realities of everyday life in Germany.

SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  7. Cyclonic

But God she's one hell of a desirable little imp. :)

bayernkenny likes this.
  8. bayernkenny

Only know of the basics of this slaughter/genocide however this is shooooorly Realpolitik in the extreme!

Cyc; actually guffawed! Cannae 'beat' a neat wee twinset!

9. Cyclonic

Until today, I've not made any effort to look into the Armenian suffering during WW1 through to the early 20s. I don't know where to look for a balanced evaluation. Most of the stuff I've read is too heavily slanted one way or the other, and a lot of it seems to be twisted around what constitutes a genocide. There can be no question though, there were a lot of lives lost.

10. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

In the aftermath of the June 23rd vote the common theme was that the UK was lucky to have such a steady hand as Carney at the tiller. Yesterday there were quite a few opinions given across the media that in fact the BOE acted too quickly to lower rates in August (remember too there was stunned surprise when they didn't lower rates at their first meeting after the vote). The general opinion today is that Carney had made a mistake.
    I think this just illustrates the near hysteria and hyperbole broadcast in the same media following the vote. I have never heard such doom and gloom as was voiced after June 23rd: here, by experts, politicians and the media. The fact is we don't know what is going to happen to the UK and nor does the EU know what is going to happen to them. Every bit of bad news after June 23rd was amplified everywhere in the wake of the vote. Yesterday was the opposite. I'm glad on here there was no championing of opinions that everything is going fine (unbalanced when you consider what had previously gone on but at least healthier). I now look forward to balanced views on the so called Brexit and it not being blamed for every negative figure that comes out of any organisation that takes the time to publish those figures..
    Thank God this wasn't early September 1939. I most certainly then would have been worried about the state of my fellow countrymen.

11. Cyclonic

12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Years ago we became quite friendly in Teheran with our neighbours, an Armenian family, whose parents fled the carnage to Iran. It is absolutely true what happened. Turkey has always been in denial.

13. bayernkenny

I don't know if irony is the correct term; I doubt it is however I see from the article provided by Cyc that the forced march ended at Aleppo.

I will attempt to use my words carefully with what I say in the following sentences. We view a genocide as an organised 'factory' run killing of a 'nation', 'race', 'religion' or other well defined group of people. I am of course talking about the Nazi killing, by whatever, means of Jewish and Romany people. Any mass killing which does not closely resemble/reflect the Nazi atrocity will always be argued by the perpetrators that it does not constitute a 'genocide'.

This will be one of my very few posts on subjects outwith horse racing, music, football and Bavaria.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Max Wall?

15. bayernkenny

Believe it or not saw Max Wall in Edinburgh as part of Mott The Hoople's Rock 'n' Roll Circus. Took him a wee while but finally won over the audience so much so that in the rub-a-dub afterwards quite a few people were doing the 'walk'. At least I think that was what was happening however it might have been the normal Saturday night, booze induced, meander!!!!

16. Cyclonic

Max at his best. He was one strange man. <laugh>

17. bayernkenny

Michael Jackson on Jack Daniel's!!!!

18. Cyclonic

Have a look at this guy, bloody genius. Until a few minutes ago, I'd never heard of him. George Carl.

SwanHills likes this.
  19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I saw him at the Hippodrome in Brighton when I was a kid and remember being curled up on the floor, aching with laughter

20. bayernkenny

Not quite in the same class as Max Wall but I was 'taken' to see The Dave Clark Five in Blackpool's Winter Gardens and Mike and Bernie Winters in Douglas, Isle of Man, both in the early to mid sixties. A far cry from seeing The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen within three nights in Munich!

S..t; just realised what thread this is!!!

Bustino74 likes this.