1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The post 2022 world cup winter window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by StJabbo1, Nov 15, 2022.

1. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep. And with at least one of them offering some leadership qualities.

2. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Get your ****in wallet out

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The board buying too many untried and unready young players, when we were crying out for better and more experienced players to immediately improve the squad, and keep us in mid table whilst the kids learned their trade, has cost us.
    We probably only got the young players to sign, on the promise of first team involvement, with a view to increasing their value before selling them on at a profit, but we will only increase their value if they look as though they can do it on the big stage.
    Not sure what playing in a team bereft of confidence will do for their development.

Welwyn Saint likes this.
  4. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

At this point I would welcome Ings back with open arms.

We need guaranteed goals or we are down for sure.

5. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Had to be Liverpool. <laugh>

7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Semmens and the board have been very vocal about spending wisely, being patient, getting the right players at the right price etc etc.
    This January is make or break for us as a PL side. I hope they realise that we are going to have to spend, and probably have to spend more than they deem a player is worth, maybe even buy the odd player with no resale value. This window the long term strategy has to go out the window and they have to get what the team needs now or we are going down. The long term strategy of the summer goes out the window with relegation anyway and we lose far more money with relegation. The summer was a gamble and it hasn’t paid off, so they have to realise they’ve taken it too far and suck it up in January to fix their own mistakes. I am confident we will spend and bring a few players in in January, I’m far less confident that we will see the change in approach from them that I think we need to bring in the numbers and quality that in reality we need. It will likely see us have to overpay for the privilege, maybe even significantly. I can see maybe one bigger signing and the rest being kids with potential being far more likely and I don’t think that’s going to be enough to turn this around.

8. Osvaldorama

Totally agree.

**** or bust. Time to make up for all the glaringly obvious mistakes they’ve made since buying the club

9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Not sure more kids would want to come here, especially if they have the potential to go to a team that isn’t battling relegation.
    We desperately need experienced players with a point to prove, even if just on loan, although AMN hasn’t yet been a great advert for that type of signing.

10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

11. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Don’t really care since it became apparent that there was no chance he would be coming here. What happens with Gakpo and Liverpool means **** all to us. I do however hope that we are being that proactive…

12. Osvaldorama

Agree, we need players through the door ASAP. Zero time to waste. We can’t mess about and do the standard saints thing and wait until deadline day. We literally have to make some changes. Even if that’s only loans, fine. But something needs to change.

13. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Exactly right.

Poyet was spot on today, in our situation there’s no excuse for not having things lined up and ready to go straight away. A month’s wait haggling over 1m here or there is not good value compared to the missed games

14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah. The fact that it just happens to be Gakpo is neither here nor there. It's the proactive of Liverpool that is the feature here. It's December 26th today, not January 26th. You don't have to wait until the transfer window is open before conducting your business. You can literally start on September 1st.

We're in no position to be running about on January 31st, desperately trying to grab whatever is left on the shelves of the local petrol garage,

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Poyet also said today that he’d like to see Edozie in a good team that actually wins games. He has a point as our experienced players are ****ing garbage and I’d much rather bin the likes of JWP, S Armstrong, Djenepo, Ely, Aribo and A Armstrong than any of the the younger element of the squad.

We need to sign players to guide the young talent we have and those players aren’t it.

SaintsForTheWin likes this.
  16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Still think we should have sold JWP in the Summer to bring in 2/3 - nobody is convincing me we'd be any worse.

Sadly it's too late now I'd imagine.

Ian Thumwood and Piri Weepu like this.
  17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Would Teremas Moffi be an option? I wonder what his price would be?

18. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Would love it if we signed someone with presence in the dressing room.

Sorry.

19. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. We should have cashed him in when Villa made the offer. Without the goals from free kick s and decent corners, he becomes average. He is not a leader, either.

We could really do with someone like Jimmy Case or Stephen Davis back in this squad.

20. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Wasn’t the Villa offer for JWP 35m and in summer 2021? Not the one just gone. And once we had signed a replacement for him that 35m wouldn’t have gone much further. One more player at most

Wasn’t the potential offer this summer part if of Chelsea’s scatter gun? Alex Crook suggested as much on deadline day but is more likely to have been wrong and it was actually Lavia (and not both)

So people seem to be discussing a hypothetical that was never really on the cards.