1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Potting shed

Discussion in 'Watford' started by yorkshirehornet, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Having tried a few things I always resort to slug pellets. You can get more animal friendly ones now although I have not noticed any harmful effects when using the non animal friendly ones as the cat that craps on my Garden is still Alive unfortunately. Bird population very bouyant in fact I saw a goldcrest this week, a first in the garden and only the 3rd one I have ever seen. Beer traps can be affective I beleive.

This week the row deer ate the buds off my Rose <wah>ok , anyone got a gun?

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Ah a goldcrest only ever knowingly seen one on spring watch.. Although twice I have had a fleeting one pointed out to me.. But could have been anything...

I think certain slug pellets are becoming illegal soon? I just worry that I may unwittingly lead to the poisoning of birds when I use them. Slug season is hitting here.. Have to keep my eyes peeled on a daily basis..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have tried various things like coffee grounds, but have finished up with bird and animal friendly pellets. I used a couple of old tiles propped up just enough to let slugs in but not enough for the birds to get at the pellets before the current ones became the norm.

4. Scullion

5. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

You could try spreading coarse grained sand around endangered plants Yorkie - their soft underbellies don't like moving over this. Unfortunately when you read any article on slug control then,just before the end, you realize they are trying to sell you something.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  6. yorkshirehornet

Thank you gents.. I have tried coarse grit and that has worked to some degree. I will look at the other products too. I worry for my lupins and delphiniums in the wet weather... Plus my young veg plants

7. yorkshirehornet

We also get them in the house.. Any ideas for an indoor trap?

8. yorkshirehornet

Just scattered the enemy pellets in the garden. And will be researching the kinder variety...

9. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

I use slug pellets in the spring but then I put an upturned hanging basket over them so the birds can't get to them, Then in a couple of warm days later the slugs and snails seem to have dried up and nothing left for the birds to eat. Very good for my dahlias when they start to grow.

10. colognehornet

To be absolutely honest I can cope with things which try to eat my plants from above - because at least I can see what's going on. Our problem is underground 'eaters' such as voles.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Spotted a golden oriole this morning just on the outskirts of the village. They are rarely seen in the UK and have been in decline over most of Europe, but they arrive in this area around the end of April from sub-Saharan Africa. When you do see one they are a very bright yellow around the size of a starling. Lovely sight as they fly at speed.

Scullion likes this.
  12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Yes I have that problem as well, and today when I went to collect a lettuce found that it was being attacked from below by ants. They like dry conditions, so my protecting from above against birds and slugs created ideal conditions for them.

13. yorkshirehornet

Stunning Frenchie...

14. Scullion

Oddly slugs and snails do not eat my hostas, they are quite fussy eaters in my garden and surprise me by munching something unexpected. I find lots of empty snail shells I don't know if they have moved home or the birds have got them.

If I come across snails they may take a Flight to my neighbours or go to paradise in the council compost bin <devil>

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

We have a huge number of snails that are actually quite interesting. Huge great white ones and much smaller multi-coloured ones. My friend Bernard when he was younger could be seen walking the lanes with a plastic bag collecting them. In his barn he had a special container for them where they were kept until the toxins came out of them. I will not go into what happened to them after that.

16. colognehornet

Does anyone on here have experience in growing potatoes and tomatoes on the same vegetable patch (ie. tomatoes without cover) - how far should they be from each other in order to reduce the risk of cross infection, and does altitude (or living in a remote location) reduce the risk ?

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

As they are related there is clear risk of potato/tomato blight spreading between the two. It is an airbourne disease, but once into a plant will reproduce itself if for example you use some of this years potatoes as next years seed. One of my neighbours does grow them in the same plot about 5 or 6 metres apart without any problems that I have seen. The rows are set up so that the prevailing wind goes through the rows rather than across them. We are isolated, but not that high, so I am not sure it would have any effect. I have given up trying to grow potatoes as my soil is too light. The neighbour has a ready supply of manure from the cattle shed across the road.

18. colognehornet

The fact of altitude and location is quite an important one for us because we always have wind here (our house is at about 350 metres above sea level) so even when potato or tomato leaves get wet, then they dry out very quickly, which reduces the threat. Also the closest neighbourhood potato patch must be several kilometres away. Also since last year I have planted something smaller eg. Brussels sprouts at selected places in the middle of the potato beds (I believe that this blight starts in the middle of the bed where the plants get less air circulation) which works well. Nonetheless the gap between spuds and tomatoes is only just over 3 metres, so I need to keep the spuds healthy and hope for the best.

19. Scullion

I don't worry too much about blight on spuds, if I see it I cut the hulmes off fast to stop it infecting the tubers. I cannot grow toms outside so cannot comment here but I have not heard much about it being a problem.

20. yorkshirehornet

Can I ask about ground cover plants for a area under an apple tree which tends to fill up with nasty weeds. I have tried lupins and other. Tender leaved perennials but the slugs just get them. The area is about 15 feet by four feet. I have Hardy geraniums at one end. But could do with half a dozen shrubs, spreading plants that don't mind some shade, and wettish soil...
    Views much appreciated