1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Cesspit

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Apr 6, 2020.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Well, the Premier League and clubs therein have certainly shown their true colours and disdain for the average fans again during the Covid-19 outbreak eh?

The 5 clubs thus far that have put non-playing staff on furlough should be absolutely disgusted with themselves.

Same goes for the players now whining about being called out for not contributing to the cause via wage cuts...

Don't get me wrong, teams and players further down the ladder will struggle just as much as the next business / person but I don't believe ANY club in the top two divisions has any right to place ANY member of staff into furlough with the amount of money that sloshes around these divisions.

I know there are big businesses that have also taken advantage, so it's not just football taking the mick here, buthe come on... Liverpool, Spurs? Really????

Big up to all those that HAVE voluntarily taken cuts or made donations etc... (yep, even Leeds :emoticon-0142-happy)

Premier League... greediest league on earth!

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Totally agree about the players, Rooney ffs, baulking at taking a 30% cut. Fairplay Barcelona players taking 70% cut. <ok>

Our shower, and I mean Prem players, in the main, have a really over inflated opinion of themselves. Taking their mega bucks wages while doing f all.

Hope this comes back to bite them on their arses when they eventually return to play. If Sky and others decide to reconsider the gravy train, that will cause huge shockwaves through the game and possibly radical changes.

Although in reality it will probably advance the cause of a 20 club European Super League and sod the rest.

clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  3. BrizzleBluebird

Completely agree BfB. The thought that as a taxpayer I am now helping to pay the inflated wages of the likes of Mo Salah, Mane, Harry Kane and even Eric Dier FFS just sickens me...

Meanwhile old Doris down the road is struggling to find someone to go pick up her prescription in an attempt to protect herself whilst Kyle Walker is inviting hookers around for a leg over (whilst previously getting some random model up the duff despite being a married man) and then Rooney meeting up with him for a chat about it a few days later....

Modern football disgusts me more and more these days.

clingo likes this.
  4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Q. If the PL players take a pay cut is it absolutely established where the money will go?
    Q. Are they being asked to take a pay cut or a deferral? Big difference.

To me it seems the only beneficiaries would be the clubs owners who would be paying less each month whereas the losers would be the government as they’d receive a lot less income tax, allegedly millions worth which makes it somewhat counterproductive.

As for EFL clubs the pay cuts/deferrals are more of a necessity as the economic future of the clubs are at stake if they are unable to pay wages ie they’d be technically insolvent and be vulnerable to administration and points deductions.

5. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Strange that you should mention Doris and legover in the same sentence BFB pal...WTF? Masky is going to send you a photo of his sleeping todger to spice up your love life! :emoticon-0103-cool::emoticon-0103-cool::emoticon-0103-cool:

6. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Thats the rub nin. Clubs would benefit from cutting wages to players, the government would take a hit to tax revenue.
    The double whammy is that the clubs are furloughing lower paid staff and taking that from the government.

7. ninian opinion

Will any scamming of furloughing ever though be investigated? It seems there is little guidance and no policing of it; if an employee genuinely has no work to do then yes it’s a great scheme as it avoids redundancy but who’s testing all the individual cases?

It is overall though supposed to help businesses’ cash flow and economic survival. I find it hard to believe the bigger PL clubs have liquidity problems.

8. BluefromBridgend

Not guilty as charged!!!

Twas BBB not BfB.

Grass? Me? Never!!!

9. BrizzleBluebird

I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  10. ccfcremotesupport

I'm sure it is open to abuse nin. Its all about risk and cost. Probably more expensive to police it than to accept some abuse.
    There should be something about the bigger picture of the business cost models.
    If the players took a 5% pay cut, it would probably cover the cost of the rest of their employees.

ninian opinion likes this.

11. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

My apologies BFB, shame on you BBB... pull your pants up man! Nevertheless BFB offer still remains pal! :emoticon-0103-cool::emoticon-0103-cool::emoticon-0103-cool:

12. BluefromBridgend

Respectfully declined, thankyou Masky.

13. ninian opinion

14. ccfcremotesupport

I read that lineaker is donating 2 months salary as well.
    Every little helps.....

15. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

It seems to me that footballers would better help by keeping their salary and giving donations to NHS/charities so that the benefit happens where it should land and not with the clubs. Even fi giving to the NHS it should be for the benefit of staff and sick people and not a replacement for govt spending. The govt has done little for the NHS for years and no-one should be making up their shortfall.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  16. ninian opinion

Let’s not make this political; the government has done plenty for the NHS. It’s a fact there are millions more people alive year on year and it’s not possible to fund it exhaustively.

17. ccfcremotesupport

I was discussing the future of professional sport post covid 19 with my wife earlier.

There will always be a pay difference between the top and lower leagues, but will we see an end to the obsene salaries paid to the minority.
    For most fans, watching football is a hobby. In times of austerity, and there will be an impact on the disposable income of most of us post virus, spending on hobbies will reduce, be that paying to attend games or paying for sky tv . Similarly, companies will have to tighten their belts, which us likely to reduce budgets available for sponsorship.
    Sky and other tv companies have committed to a contract for the current license agreement, but will those sums be available for the next term?

So, reduction in gate receipts, reduction in sponsorship, reduction in tv revenue.
    With the biggest expenditure for clubs being players salaries, that area will be hardest hit. Add to that the current losses resulting from no games being played and clubs will have to cut their cloth accordingly.

I can see a number of clubs going to the wall once this is over, together with the end of the gravy train for most players.

18. ninian opinion

19. ccfcremotesupport

"Discussing" might have been an exageration. I was talking, she was in the vicinity. <laugh>
    Ive solved quite a few business problems over the years "duscussing" things with my wife.
    Sometimes you just need to formalize your thinking through speech.

To be fair, she can usually grasp the basis of most topics and have a discussion.

20. BrizzleBluebird

One can only hope this IS the catalyst that ends the crazy spiralling salaries and ticket prices etc.

You'd think the powers that be would long for a league system whereby many clubs would have a shot at not only top flight football but also a chance of glory.
    As it is, they seem content to let the big spenders continue to dominate for the foreseeable future.

All respect to the likes of Leicester for winning the Premier League when they did. Granted everything fell into place for them but it was still a massive achievement.
    Likewise the likes of Wolves (and perhaps the Blades) qualifying for European football, but Wolves have spent pretty heavily over several seasons to achieve their success.
    I long for the days that clubs like Norwich, Forest etc. can challenge again (not excluding ourselves of course but I'm thinking back to pre-Premier League days when it all felt a little more "even" (Liverpool's stint of domination aside)).

This has been a worldwide shock to the game so one can only hope in the near future the integrity of the game itself is put before grubby pay offs and self serving "big" clubs wishes...

ccfcremotesupport likes this.