1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

2. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Panda pops then.

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing has changed in terms of the points difference, yes. But I wouldn't say nothing at all has changed, and that it's as you were. I would say the outlook has changed quite a bit.

West Ham no longer have a very attractive fixture left against Norwich.

Bmouth and Villa both probably needed to win 75% of their remaining games before (three from four). That's probably now down to 66% (two from three).

Watford have gone from three points clear with two winnable games left, to three points clear with one winnable game left.

Bmouth and Villa have gone from not being able to win a game between them, to suddenly (you assume) being full of hope and confidence.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

One PL player has tested positive for Covid :(

5. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

We're keeping that UCL/UEL race interesting.

Final day is United v Leicester and Chelsea v Wolves too... oooof!

Now let's relegate the Cherries. :)

6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Racism has been here since probably the 40's and possibly earlier. Personally I have never to my memory ever had any sort of bias to anyone of a different nationality or creed. I have had the pleasure of actually being best man at an Indian wedding ( I stepped in at the last moment because of his brother having flight problems) The African man was to me a best mate and still would be if he were alive today. Sadly there was to be a third which would have been my first time but he died actually on his way home for the wedding from abroad in Belize in a road accident there.
    I have never understood why people have this problem with different colours and nationalities. I have heard all the arguments especially when they are stopped or charged with something and the person starts shouting they are being racially abused. But I say to you is it any wonder when they possibly have experienced this kind of thing all their life? Yes I also know some just cry out this way as they think by doing this they might get away with something.
    Society as a whole though just have to work together to stop this racism from which ever side it comes.............

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like fans will be allowed back in stadiums at reduced capacity from the start of next season. Government expected to make announcement soon.

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

How will it work though? No way will there be social distancing when going to or leaving your seat.
    Unless it’s 1 person per row, some people are up and down several times a game.
    Lots of squeezing by.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. fran-MLs little camera

It has always been claimed that being outside is a lower risk than being in an enclosed space for a period of time. Let’s all pray that is so as it means many events can go ahead.

10. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

And don't you need to be in close contact for 15 minutes for transmission to occur, or have I completely made that up?

Away fans?

11. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

That is what has been said, at some point, but I just don’t understand why, unless that is just a way of emphasising, the risk, inside a building.
    I would have thought randomly breathing in infected vapour, from someone coughing or sneezing, could cause infection, just as randomly touching the turnstile after an infected person could also cause infection.
    There are still too many mixed messages.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Imagine everyone will have to sanitise their hands before going through the turnstiles (and after perhaps?) which should mitigate the risk considerably there at least. Think the queues for toilets and food/drink will be the biggest issue myself.

It's never going to be completely risk free though of course. If they do allow say, a third, of capacity in then it will ultimately be down to each individual person to decide whether they're comfortable attending or not.

Be interesting to see if they prioritise tickets for families as they can actually sit together.

13. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Another way of mitigating risk would be to not open the food and drink outlets, which would avoid congregating and queues downstairs. I'd rather they were open though and people just used common sense (even though some people have none).

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Think they'd have to make at least water available, talk of vendors going round the stands rather than the kiosks though I believe.

15. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

To be honest I think it likely they will open venues but you will have to wear a mask. To me that is better than not seeing football live at all.

16. fran-MLs little camera

There will always be some risk...at least for the foreseeable...but risk can be mitigated by masks, use of sanitiser gel, thorough cleaning of the stadium and limiting food and drink access. The numbers need reducing mainly because of being in close quarters in the concourse. I’m guessing that aisle seats will be sold and centre row seats will remain empty.

17. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

From what I understand here, there really isn't too much risk of having a reduced capacity crowd in the stands.

Where the work must be - and is - being carried out by clubs is on how you marshal the crowd in terms of getting people into the stadium from the outside area and then through the concourses and into their seats. Clubs with notoriously tight concourses will struggle more than others and may not be able to open them, instead telling people they can just head straight to their seats (and bring food/drink with them) and remain in their seats unless they need a toilet trip. That could also be a standardised approach, with clubs moving their internal food and drink vendors to the outside of the ground to operate in open air and with more space.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  18. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Poor spurs then, all that money on a new stadium and it will stay empty!

We were crammed in like sardines there on that cup game.

19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe staggered arrivals may become a thing with ticket holders given allocated times to arrive at the stadium.

20. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I hope we get allocated leaving times too.

And that those who try to leave early get a big NO from the stewards