1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's 6 yellows and a red now for United.

Saints14 likes this.
  2. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

You can hear Ole's post-match interview already - "We kept them to one goal in the second half, so my half-time team talk must have worked. This means that I should stay as United's manager (Please)"

Saints14 likes this.
  3. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

From the BBC comments

Comment posted by Mish, today at 18:28Mish
    18:28
    I wasn't so surprised seeing the Man Utd fans streaming out of the stadium in the second half but seeing Paul Pogba join them was a little unexpected.

4. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I suspect 'pool eased up as the last thing they want is Ole to be sacked.

Saints14 likes this.
  5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

A Manure fan on 606 just said that he wants Steve Bruce to replace OGS!....really?..:emoticon-0102-bigsm

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tbf, he probably is better than Ole.

But yeah, not exactly setting their sights too high.

7. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

They've heard that Steve Bruce is experienced in keeping teams up.

Lovelocum likes this.
  8. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

He says “we know we are rock bottom”. Erm, no you’re not you’re 7th.

Lemons and Oranges and manxsaint like this.
  9. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

My usual perspective on the Man Utd v Liverpool matches is that it is disappointing that both teams cannot lose. However, I have to say that ther performance and result is well below what should be expected of a Man Utd team. Regardless of their current league status and whether the club is under-performing against a manager who , to the outsiders at least, seems unable to take the squad to the level it should be, it needs to be stressed that Man Utd are the biggest club on the British Isles and amongs the top five in Europe. I have been saying for about three seasons that Man Utd will eventually come good but today's performance is demonstrative of how far they need to go. Our 1-1 draw against them at the beginning of the season no longer looks quite so impressive!

I keep of seeing statistics banded about regarding the performnance of their defenders and hownany interceptions they have made. These are world Class international players who, when put together in a club side, perform like they belong on a team fighting relegation. I would have to say that there is something seriously wrong if they cannot get Pogba performing to his best. Current;y, I would aegue he is too goo for Man Utd at the moment whereas he should really be a Cantona-like catylist. Today's result is an embarrassment because Liverpool should be visiting Old Trafford with trepidation. As a neutral, it is very funny to see Man Utd torn apart yet if they had a coach who could realise their potential, I do not really see Man Utd needing to make too many radical changes to their side to make them challenge. It is difficult to see OGS retaining his job after today's result. With the right man at the helm, I have no doubt that Man Utd would be capable of inflicting as similar result upon Liverpool. However, I am not sure that they are ever going to make that appointment. They should have gone for Poch when he was available.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Crooks has named both Liverpool CB's and Alisson in his team of the week despite the fact they didn't need to do anything. The man's a joke.

11. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

It must have pained him so much to have to put Josh King in the team. If only Ronaldo’s goal hasn’t been VAR-ed he’d have been okay to use him instead

tomw24 likes this.
  12. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Depending on the level of manager Newcastle will be looking to attract with their new found riches, I can see the better ones telling them to do one so they can throw their collective hats in the ring for the United job.

13. Ian Thumwood

St. Badger

I think that United will have already identified who they want to replace OSG and cannot see them casting a wide net. Newcastle will be a different matter and you can imagine them looking at all and sundry before making an appointment before eventually selecting the fourth or fifth choice. The job at Man Utd should be much easier with the team they have but I can't see see Newcastle job as anything but a poisoned chalice.

It has been quite funny how the media has been concentrating on the failings of ManUtd last night as opposed to Liverpool's performance.

14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I seem to remember you saying United were favourites for the title. <whistle>

15. Ian Thumwood

I have been saying that Utd should come good for the last three seasons. They look terrific on paper but don't play like a team.

16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Also they can't defend which is a pretty big flaw. That's why Chelsea are my favourites. They're rock solid at the back.

17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

On paper it is a very good team. Having said that, I would throw out an idea that Ronaldo choked Juve's general play, hence their disappointing season last year. This season they have been adapting to Ronaldo's loss and I sense that gradually they are playing as a more, cohesive unit and could well go far in the CL. It is about time they won it again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  18. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I can think of four candidates in no particular order. Low, Zidane, Conte and Rodgers!!

19. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Brendan Rodgers would be an interesting pick.

20. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I read your comment and mentally inserted an "r" :emoticon-0102-bigsm