1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

It actually couldn't be more funny.
    Mike is a secret genius, I personally hope he stays around football for years to come!
    <laugh>

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

That would have been funnier.

MIsaints likes this.
  3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

4. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

And they sold their best striker.

5. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

MorgansBitOnTheSchneid Well-Known Member

They didn't make their best striker a permanent deal more importantly.

6. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I heard the other day they would interested in Long if the price was right.

7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No need for Newcastle fans to panic. Dwight Gayle (I presume) is back with them.

8. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

Do them well when they get relegated.

9. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Works in our favour but certainly feel bad for their fans. They are top notch and don’t deserve the crap Ashley has put them through

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I do and I don't, it could be a hell of a lot worse but they'll have you believing that they're the hardest done by fans in the universe.

Oh what's that, your chairman doesn't show ambition or pump his money in? Yeah that's the case for most clubs, having a title challenge or two in the 90s doesn't mean you deserve to be a top side now.

11. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As annoying as that is, what I find even more annoying is when the Newcastle fans then try and pretend that they're not asking for their side to be a top side - they're just asking their side to try.

Yeah, because fans of every other club right up and down the leagues don't want their side to try too...

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  12. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think there's a difference. Decades ago, Newcastle fans wanted their club to win things, and they could rightly expect to. They have always been a major football club and their fanbase numbers still reflect that. But they've been worn down the stump with false hope. And just what could they put on a poster that carried a message to illustrate their drop in expectation? They were being ironic.

13. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Oh come off it. The Newcastle fans are a great bunch. Always nice when you meet them in the pub and around the ground. Good sense of humour and they aren't bitchy towards anyone else (apart from the obvious).

They averaged a 51,000 attendance in the Championship. That's something like 15,000 more than any other club in that division ever.

To put that in perspective, we averaged 26,000 in our promotion season. West Ham averaged 30,000.

And It's not even a big city. The population of Newcastle is the same as Southampton.

Their support is second to none, literally, and they haven't won a thing for years.

Their owner is a c*nt, and we should be sympathetic to something like that cos we've been in that position before ourselves.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  14. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

Diffence is he's a rich **** compared to him who I won't name. Newcastle will never go bust under him.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  15. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

How is Morgan Schneiderlin these days anyhow? Is he playing for France yet?

16. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Better Mike than a ManCity type Arab.
    Makes them much more likable in this state.

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Second to none? Bit far that for me, they were averaging 15 odd k in late 80s/early 90s I believe. Great bunch is maybe stretching it a bit too, more arrests than anyone in past few season's.

I'm sympathetic to an extent, but he's hardly the horrendous owner they make him out to be, probably comes somewhere in the middle of the owner scale.

Interesting that no one ever gives Sunderland credit for their support or provided them sympathy when they had Short there, who was much worse than Ashley. Probably because their fans aren't as entitled and haven't been crying that they deserve a trophy for twenty years.

They even had fans on here saying that a new owner can even change the kit as long as Ashley goes... hope he sells up to a right dodgy **** who asset strips them and puts them in admin... 'be careful what you wish for'.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Forgot to add Black that I would argue that we've been in this position before, I'd say that's the position we've been in for a few years, eg trying to stay up on minimal spend.

The position we were in before was much worse and completely incomparable to what they're 'going through".

19. Che’s Godlike Thighs

15,000 is a bit off. According to Wiki, they averaged 30,000 in the 83/84 season. Didn't have data for any season before that. But come on, that's almost 40 years ago anyway.

According to the Home Office, Newcastle had fewer football-related arrests than Southampton last season, despite having 25,000 more fans at each game. (See here: https://talksport.com/football/447819/premier-league-football-arrests-201718-season-club/ )

Regarding Ashley, I don't think it's really fair for us to judge the situation. We don't know the real story, the ins-and-outs etc. We only see the headlines. It's like when fans of other clubs criticised us for sacking Puel. We knew the truth, but it was understandable why it looked strange to others.

The fans on here don't concern me; there are knobs in every fanbase.

20. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Also, on this point, I think it's tough to compare the two clubs, as there are different expectation levels. Newcastle, absolutely should be a more successful club than they are, but they've even been relegated twice in the time that Ashley has been there. That is shocking, you have to admit. He must be absolutely milking that club.