1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Thats **** mate, have you got a union rep? Or go the top explain your situation and hope for some discretion.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Sorry mate I disagree, what about paycuts for the players? That could cover all of the non playing staff. Richest league in the world and being shown up for the shambles it is by clubs on the continent again.

I wouldn't be giving your company too much if you can help it. People will remember all of this when all is said and done. Disgraceful.

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0121-angry
    No words, sorry Badge, that is just unacceptable.

StJabbo1, thereisonlyoneno7 and Kaito like this.
  4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The company doesn’t recognise unions.
    Their decision is exactly what I expected, tbh, and has gone to the head of personnel, or so I have been told.
    I am waiting to see if the government recognises that there are flaws in their rescue plan for workers, and amend them so that all people, who need to self isolate in order to protect themselves or a loved one, can do so without being financially punished.
    I am happy with my decision.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

St B, write to your MP, the Echo, nationals, BBC, Good Morning Britain, Prince Charles, anyone and everyone. They should be exposed.

I know who the company is, so I won’t shop there again. We need to take a stand.

6. fatletiss

I think I’ll write to the players via the club.

Libby likes this.
  7. fatletiss

Football needs to get a grip of itself and bloody quickly.

yesterday I did a 30 second fag packet calculation with my mate (via video call obviously):

Average 50,000/ week wage (spurs 70k)
    20 man squad (most 25-30)
    5% pay cut
    Would pay for 104 staff on 25k/year

Disgusting.

we’re in a national crisis, people are dying, losing their jobs and more will follow. People will struggle once this is over and the recovery will be hard. Yet Premier League are still fannying around about when and how they’ll finish this season’s game. Just end it now. Make some strong financial recommendations to the PL clubs and protect as many staff as they can for as long as they can.

Football has been a huge part of my life since I was 3 or 4. I love it. I love Saints. Top level football is very close to losing this fan.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Couldn't agree more. Football has to be really careful here. The beeb summed it up brilliantly:

Many are now asking whether the government's taxpayer-funded job retention scheme was really designed for clubs who - in the case of Spurs for instance - have profits of £68m, a Bahamas-based owner worth £4bn, a chairman paid £7m, and players who, on average, earn £70,000 per week.

Which is absolutely spot on. I don't think Spurs are even topping up the 20% which is extremely poor.

9. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

If true ****ing disgusting.

Football's disconnection from real life and the enormous sense of self entitlement is complete. It's alway been strange, remember both our and pompey's admin process and how the players had first call on funds? Even it seemed before tax authorities and other employees.

The response from some leagues abroad seem more reasonable, but the Premier League / Football League / FA / Players Union need to sort this out pronto.

10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

11. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Yes, this will give politicians something to get their teeth into that will be overwhelmingly popular with the public. The PL may have inadvertently done themselves more financial and reputational damage from this than they were hoping to gain.

12. San Tejón

I emailed my Tory mp two weeks ago and haven’t even received a “thank you for contacting me” reply.
    The problem is that the government has stipulated that to qualify for the scheme, the job I do must have been “shut down”. My job hasn’t been and I understand that, but when you see financial wizards, such as Martin Lewis, stating on live tv that “people at the top” were saying that key workers can be furloughed, that the government was encouraging companies to use the scheme and that paying money to a key worker wouldn’t get them in trouble, you begin to wonder if the company are just being difficult because I have put my wife before them.
    Whatever the thought process, empathy doesn’t come into it.

I am biding my time in the hope that the government will recognise the grey areas in their scheme, including those who weren’t employed before the end of Feb, I believe, who also don’t qualify.

13. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Seems harsh to target purely football clubs with this sort of thing. (As much as I agree)

Its actually a systemic, worldwide problem. Many companies have paid massive bonuses to top level staff, but will cut the bottom and accept help from the taxpayer.

Big corporations have leveraged themselves buying back their shares. Now they are claiming poverty to the government.

As always, the people at the top of the rigged system get their millions, while the rest suffer

14. San Tejón

Hope you don’t mind but I have sent a pm reference your upcoming furlough.
    If you can’t answer, don’t worry about it.

15. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I don't want to be patronising or bossy as I don't know your situation vbut have you considered completing the furlough paperwork and just sending it to them to sign. It would be no issue for them then in terms of cost.

Hope that it works out for you

16. San Tejón

As I understand it the offer of furlough must come from the employer, so without the offer there is nothing I can do.

17. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

18. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

19. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

The "first thing" Premier League footballers can do is "take a pay cut and play their part" to help out during the coronavirus pandemic, says health secretary Matt Hancock.

-----------------------------

Like many of you I have been championing the top of the Football pyramid playing its part in all this, and doing the right thing. But I feel a bit uncomfortable with MH calling them out directly. Now the spot light has been shifted directly onto them, I hope in the coming days the bankers, the betting companies, actors, socialites, all of them are asked to play a part. Lets not just make this about the working man done good, bit thick, overpaid easy targets that are footballers.

20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep with you there HR, but the reason there is focus on them is that the clubs are willing to furlough off staff and take taxpayers' money (and not top up the staff to 100%), when just a 3-5% salary sacrifice from the playing staff would pay the non playing staff for a year. Bonkers and makes me become a bit detached from the clubs.

As much as I ridicule Bompy, hats off to Eddie Howe - it isn't publicity stunt, but a lovely thing to do from a nice man.