1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I'm personally going to enjoy watching them desperately trying to cash that last cheque......
    And fail.
    Stay at home, stay safe & do one will ya EPL.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Behind closed doors will be awful, thousands of people will have to completely quarantine for 6 weeks plus. It's also a huge waste of tests imo, the Bundesliga have estimated they will need 20k tests for the completion of their season.

It's also going to be awful as a spectacle, are people actually going to watch? Maybe the first couple but think the novelty will wear off quickly. It'll be tragic watching something so meanless being forced through in the circumstances.

Still haven't seen it mentioned on what the plan is if/when someone catches it either.

I note they've gone away from neutral venues and back to teams own grounds too, good luck keeping all the Scousers away from Anfield when they win the league.

4. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

He won't even make the squad!

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

What happens if a player breaks a leg or has another very bad injury that needs a hospital visit? More lives put at risk. What happens if there is an accident on the journey to the matches? What about the fans who will no doubt try and come out of houses to wave at the players travelling to the grounds?

Bill Shankley was wrong, today for me, Football is just a game.

They are doing themselves no favours in my view.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

I just don't see the situation being under enough control where it will be deemed acceptable to be giving up 40+ ambulance to football matches per gameweek anytime soon.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Question for the EPL: is this a necessary movement, journey or a critical occupation?

No?

Stay at home then.

Football is not bigger than life.

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Money will be the driving force to finish the season off, football has very much taken a back seat for me, and should not even be thought of starting back up until it’s completely safe to do so .

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  9. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I haven't missed football for one moment.

What I have done is reflect on it's shallowness, its greed and its corruption and realised I don't need it and that by supporting it I have been condoning its behaviour.

10. ----HistoryRepeating----

Their obsession with the money is pushing me away.
    This desperation, its kinda sick.
    Screw the money, people are dying.
    Who wants 3pm's while burying the people of their community.
    There is no normality now. Lets hope there will be again at some stage.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I think we should just abandon the season. Start again next year if safe in September. If not, start later.

Football is just a sport. Something as entertainment. Life and risk to life is more important IMO.

Why risk so much for nothing. Why risk spreading a virus or endangering those who need urgent treatment for a virus for something that is avoidable. It just makes no sense and as others have said, the EPL are not coming out of this well.

I am nearly done with it all now.

12. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I agree that in the current circumstances football is of secondary importance. There is no way any matches can resume in the current circumstances and there is even an argument to be had that it cannot resume until a vaccine has been found. However, I find that I cannot believe the statements on here about not missing football to be credible. It is rare for me not to be watching football in some form or other on a Saturday afternoon. As far as I am concerned, football is a break away from work that I am not willing to forfeit. I think it is a substantial part of the fabric of British culture if not global culture. It seems bizarre to be in a situation where football is no longer important.

I think the government reacted much too slow to the threat and this has cost many innocent people their lives. In this context, I can see why some people here have rightly questioned it's significance. Personally, I think missing seeing my family and friends has been difficult yet I would also have to say that I have missed watching the game and all the banter that surrounds it. In some ways, football acts as a balm against the realities of life. If football could be played without threat to life, it would be a form of salvation to some people.

The current pandemic has wrecked both the sporting and cultural calendar. For me, sport and culture are two things which separate humans from other animals. Both are things that are unique to our species. I cannot wait for football and cricket to resume.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  13. ----HistoryRepeating----

Can anyone even imagine them telling us to social distance, while having games played behind closed doors. Have they even considered the madness of that? If we are all ready to lynch the kids throwing parties in Manchester this weekend, then save a little annoyance for the guy heading the EPL suggesting this madness.

sotonsaint and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

There have been times, during the current season, when our defence were already practicing “social distancing”.
    Another first for the stats thread?

15. ----HistoryRepeating----

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Do I miss football?...well, I don't miss Saints losing. I think the rest of the season would have been mixed, but we would have finished in a decent position....though probably not many places above where we are. I do miss sport in general...5 day cricket matches would help time move nicely and I will miss Wimbledon and the Olympics. Not sport related, but there are also TV programmes that I will miss after a prolonged production hiatus.

sotonsaint and Schrodinger's Cat like this.
  17. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I personally haven't missed watching or hearing about football one little bit, which hasn't shocked me really because my love or interest for it ain't what it once was.

I couldn't care less if the season is finished or not and that has no relevance on the current crisis/situation either, football just dont give me the level of enjoyment it once did.

18. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I lost it after the end of the First year back in the PL .

Saintmagic and sotonsaint like this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

To the Supporters / Fans yes .

To A LOT of the owners it is a BIG BUISNESS .

20. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Yea even things like watching a game down the pub etc has lost its appeal to me these days.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.