1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The QPR Tactics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by awjm, Oct 29, 2021.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Yep. Lack of pace would be my concern with that.

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Why all the panic about Barbet not signing a new deal yet, when we're casting our most consistent player out of the side?

awjm likes this.
  3. rangercol

He wouldn't start in my side with a flat back four. He'd start as we play now.
    I quite like him.

awjm and Steelmonkey like this.
  4. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Fair challenge, but agree with Col that he suits a back 3 much more than a back 4. I remember him being poor until we switched to 3 at the back and Bees fans reported him being much better in a back 3 too. I think on the left side of a back 3 he has a little more time to distribute, which he's good at, and doesn't have to be quite as positionally disciplined, which he's less good at.

awjm, rangercol and Steelmonkey like this.
  5. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

Think again it’s the right players in a wrong formation. We simply should not play with wing backs that are too old, have no pace and simply are not good enough.

they exploited that time after time after time.

this has to change.

6. rangercol

Certainly we shouldn't have played Wallace against Spence.
    Moses is quite quick, as is Adomah.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  7. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

And MaCallum is no slouch either if I remember right.

8. rangercol

No, he's quick.
    Was ill I believe.

9. QPRNUTS

Col
    We’ve played the majority of the season with 2 x 34 year old wing backs..,,really!!!
    Albert although likeable is not fast…he’s just faster than Wallace.
    We play wingbacks but don’t utilise them as we could, they’re not fast, they don’t create assists, they don’t overlap enough and amazingly enough they don’t put in 5-6 high quality crosses each.
    What they do is leave acres of space behind them, every single game

Yorkshire-Rs likes this.
  10. rangercol

For all his years, Wallace was one of the main reasons for our good form, galloping down the wing and getting in crosses. Albert too was excellent earlier in the season.
    I agree neither has been good of late.
    I maintain that Moses and McCallum are quick wing backs.

Having said all that I wouldn't mind a change to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, but probably not the time to change everything.

awjm and QPR Oslo like this.

11. QPRNUTS

I think that’s where we may disagree.
    We have fluked a few good results but overall our performances since the New Year have been regressing. We have lost out quick press, high energy football.
    I genuinely believe we have the players for a 4-3-3 but we don’t have the quality to play wing backs. It’s costing us. Only a few years ago everyone was criticising Wallace for being poor. All he’s got is older!!!!

Quite Possibly Raving likes this.
  12. Hammersmith reborn

Hammersmith reborn Well-Known Member

What you seem to forget is both Wallace and Moses are Warburton old boys, he isn't gonna stop picking them now. He's shown how stubborn he is irrespective of results and performances. Early on in the season I was crying out for Adomah to be playing and as soon he is did get picked regularly we went on an amazing run of results. I appreciate he's knocking on but he is a key player, he still possesses enough pace and guile to get down the line and put crosses in and just cause mayhem in the opposition box. The trouble with Warburton is if we play the wing backs , then they are our supposed wingers. I'd like to have seen Adomah playing as an out and out winger instead of having to retreat alot of the time to defend, he could've caused so much more problems playing in this position. However it wouldn't meant a change of formation and as mentioned before, Warburton is a stubborn ****er !

13. rangercol

Where would you play Adomah in a three at the back formation if not at wing back?

14. Hammersmith reborn

I wouldn't be playing that formation mate, I don't believe it's utilising our best players potentials. Also our midfield is pants and needs a change of formation and personnel. As limited as he may be I don't think Thomas was given a fair chance in his natural position, every time Warburton played him it was as a bit part player in a position that isn't is right one ! For what its worth my team would be ( if everyone was fit )
    Dieng
    Moses, Dunne, Barbet, McCallum,
    Field,
    Willock,
    Adomah, Chair, Thomas,
    Dykes.

I'd be giving Willock a free reign and get him on the ball as much as possible , to free up those 2 wingers. I'd be telling them to take on their opposition defenders and try and get in as many decent crosses as possible. Yes it's an attacking line up and would have its flaws but I think we'd outscore most teams and would surely be worth a try but it will never cone to pass under this manager !

awjm likes this.
  15. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Warburton played this formation or similar autumn 2020. We played lots of lovely football but were near the bottom of the League. He changed to 3 at the back and the improvement was immediate and we have a very good record since. He has played 4 at the back on occasion and I agree it's always worth doing every now and then so we don't get too predictable.

awjm, QPRNUTS and Hammersmith reborn like this.
  16. Hammersmith reborn

He did play it before but not with the players I've put in the team. He does love playing a player out of position and therefore doesn't get the best out of them.

awjm likes this.
  17. rangercol

Ok. I asked because you said Albert could play further forward without change of formation.
    That's far too open in my opinion and Willock is too deep.
    I'd go for:
    Dieng
    Moses Dunne Barbet McCallum
    Field Johansen
    Adomah Willock Chair
    Gray.
    A very fluid 4-2-3-1/4-3-3
    Possibly Thomas instead of Chair.

QPRNUTS and QPR Oslo like this.
  18. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Now I'm confused (not difficult, I know). You dropped Barbet from a flat back four a week ago, and now you've put him back in!!!

19. rangercol

It was on the assumption that Sanderson isn't ours and to give balance with Barbet's left foot.
    Sanderson is the better player imo.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  20. Hammersmith reborn

Lol that's almost identical to what I put up except you've got Forrest Gump legs next to Field. I did say I'd give Willock a free reigns from that position and being our best player I'd want him dictating play so the more he sees of the ball the better. I also said we would be too attacking a team for the faint hearted but did add I'd fancy us to outscore nearly everyone. I'm sick of this cautious **** approach, it's what has stifled us for months, look at Forest 2nd half, the shackles were off and they just attacked with gay abandon like they have been for months now. We haven't kept a clean sheet for 9 games now playing in a defensive mode so let's ****ing alter things before it's too late. Like I said though this manager has his favourites and is blind to certain situations and in my eyes is tactically inept. Nothing will change

QPRNUTS likes this.