1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Question.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Oct 18, 2017.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

How do bumble bees fly.
    Why do Poundland in Strood sell everything for 90pence.
    Why do Gillingham need a new manager.

2. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

If it aint broke don't fix it. It's been broken for a long time and over the last couple of games there has been a transformation........let the rehabilitation of the patient continue naturally.

Hold back on the appointment of YET ANOTHER has been manager and see what Lovell can do. He did pretty well as part of the 'Gang of Four'.

brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

My thoughts exactly, if it's not broke don't fix it!

Yes we all know this is a honeymoon period, so my take on it is a game by game evaluation of the situation. The positives for Scally this has given him time to plough through his so called many applicants for the job.

Reality is Lovell knows the boss is looking for a replacement and it's likely not to be himself. Any incoming boss has a choice wait or basically clear off, Lovell is getting points on the board, once that stops and it will eventually, then the new manager can come in. Also Scally will have no excuses because SL has given him the saving grace of time to prepare properly for Steve's exit and whoever is the replacement to take the seat.

This could be as soon as Sunday, because if Steve Lovell's lads fail to pick up three points on Saturday then i will have a dim view of the situation. Unless they have gone down with a fight.

Four points in two games have not been enough to lift us out of the relegation drop zone, that's how much of a poo we are in, so it requires extraordinary circumstance that SL is currently filling. Problem is as well has he does, the pressure will become more intense, simply because the expectations will become greater.

For me personally, Northampton is Steve Lovell's Cup Final. If even one of the lads read this, don't let him down!

4. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

Reality question time.

Since Pennock was clearly too inexperienced to do the job, how could Gills consider appointing someone even less experienced?
    Why is the record of the first team coach since January being overlooked in favour of the record since last Saturday?
    Is this a replica of the Leicester City situation where boring old Ranieri is succeeded by bright young Shakespeare who won a couple of games as caretaker before being dismissed as a hopelessly inexperienced mistake.

Hmm

In answer to Grumpy's question, bumble bees fly to Poundland to get the bargains!

5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Not everyone thinks Shakespeare should have been sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05k798n

As for Lovell, the beauty is we don't need to do anything, just leave things as they are for a few games. There will always be managers ready to come in and take over, in the mean time Lovell could be that one in a generation man we are looking for, after all if experience were the only criteria then we should have retained Taylor.

6. brb

brb CR250

I for one in answer to the question do not think Lovell should be appointed, at the moment he is just serving a very good purpose and got Scally off the hook...for now.

7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I think anyone who can get this team playing good football deserves consideration, and remember Peterborough and Wigan aren't poor teams.
    After watching the dull uninspired football of the last few months the recent couple of games is like going back to a Sir Keith side, fast, skilful, attack minded, but most importantly exciting to watch, long may it continue.

patchy70 and brb like this.
  8. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I'm very torn on this at the moment. Part of me wants Lovell to continue as we've done more positive play in his 2 games than we have all season under Pennock or Taylor. The other part of me just wants the new man in as soon as possible so we can move forwards in the right direction.

Either way I want Lovell to stay in some sort of capacity whether it be Manager or Assistant. Scally has a 4 man shortlist, 2 of which are believed to be Graham Westley and Keith Millen who were both there on Tuesday night watching, Lovell assumably being option 3 leaving one other unknown.

If I had to pick out of those 3 then Lovell is the best of that bad bunch but for me it entirely depends on who mystery man 4 is. If it's someone like Chris Powell then yes please. Mad Dog? Sadly I think he shouldn't tarnish his previous record and come back and should look elsewhere. Evans or Derry? No thanks. I just hope we find out soon and don't keep waiting much longer.

patchy70, superbob and brb like this.