1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Reason Behind Falling Attendances?

Discussion in 'Rangers' started by Clunge Beater, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Big Audio Dynamite

Big Audio Dynamite Well-Known Member

partly.

i gave up my sb to spend my money on my son,there will be others like me.

now stop being a dick <ok>

2. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have no doubt that there is less interest in visiting to play Killie/Dundee/St Mirren when you know yer season ticket doesn't cover Rangers

Celtics's attendances should be a minimum 40k as that how many season tickets are sold each year!

The rest, non season tickets on sale, if there is a choice between spening £40 to watch Celtic v Benefica or £70 to watch Celtic v Benefica and Celtic v St Mirren as an example, of course you'll only go to the 1st one.

So, both - being a bit more tight with cash and no hun in the SPL - has an effect on attendances at CP!

Rangers right now have a seige/get it up ye mentality - that the reason for 40K + attendances at Ibrox - fair play to the ****s paying to go and watch Elgin. What's a season ticket cost - £200. Match day ticket £15? Still a lot of cash to watch 4 division football, so well done on those who go.

3. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Hey you it's bad enough being in division three without you making it four:biggrin: That means you're first division champions then. Apart from my pedantry I would agree with you about the champions league tickets all the same. Barcelona or Ross County? Not much contest there I'm afraid.

4. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

There's also the cuts to benefits by the Tory scum. That would bite hard in the East End<whistle>

5. Chapmeister...

Chapmeister... Well-Known Member

clicky

6. Ciaran

Ciaran 2016 POTY

7. Chapmeister...

tgfitw also do away games do they not?

8. Mind The Duck

Mind The Duck Well-Known Member

Yet they still scrape enough pennies together for a pint down the lodge

9. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Don't be going misquoting me <ok>

10. DevAdvocate

So are you going to follow Nev's logic and state that the Recession has had no effect on attendence figures in Scotland and at Celtic Park in particular?

No other factors came into play, the only reason that our attendences are down is solely down to the absence from the SPL of Rangers?

My position is that there are many factors, the recession, apathy, and Rangers included, but the downturn in numbers cannot be placed squarely at any one door. All clubs are feeling the pinch, as a Rangers fan you should know that better than most.

11. Girvan Loyal 1690

Girvan Loyal 1690 Nobody's safe now

no answer :(

12. DevAdvocate

Maybe because people prefer to save their cash for the big games? Given a choice I suspect most would prefer seeing Barcelona to Kilmarnock et al. It's not rocket surgery.

13. DevAdvocate

"Celtic supporters are making choices now," Lawwell told BBC Scotland.

"We are in the Champions League so that means Champions League tickets, it means travelling."

"I think the most significant affect on attendences at Celtic Park, and they are not in any way greatly concering, is the economy," said Lawwell.

"There is just not enough money to go round for our fans to do everything."

That's all he said. Check for yourself.

14. Chapmeister...

Ah so you're back to being an adult now?

Lack of old firm/competition is the final (very big) nail in the coffin, definitely not an even mix of your reasons otherwise there would have been a gradual drop over the years or possibly a more sudden initial decline followed by levelling out and possibly even a rise now the we apparently are out of the recession.

Why would I as a rangers fan know better than most about the pinch? I thought our plight was all the fault of big bad David Murray and his ego rather than a recession?...

15. Rustie bugmuncher

Rustie bugmuncher Well-Known Member

a very big week for attendance wang. celtic at home to st johnstone and rangers at home to ICT in the league cup. who will win this epic battle?

also rangers v alloa in the scottish cup on sat, not a season book game. will rangers fans turn up intheir droves?

i for one can bearly contain my excitment

16. Girvan Loyal 1690

Is it a simple as that? "given the choice" so they can't go to both games?

17. Medro

Medro Well-Known Member

Simply put attendances are down because Rangers are not in the SPL.

That's the gods honest truth if any Savco fan would have the balls to admit it.

18. monacoger

monacoger POTY 2021

I may aswell put my oar in too. Lawwell said or implied(can't be ****ed reading the article) that the reason for falling attendances was the economy, not the lack of Rangers. What BH and Trev are saying, why is it only now that attendances are falling, why not when the recession was at its height? The answer being Rangers were there. Are things not better on the job front in Scotland and people spending more than they were say 2 years ago? That is a genuine question as I don't keep up to date with Scotland's economy.

19. DevAdvocate

That's not what you said originally, and if you have no evidence to prove Lawell wrong then I tend to take his word on this subject. For anyone to state that the lack of money in the fans' pockets is not a valid reason for the attendance downturn then i'm afraid there is no reasoning with them. Utterly pointless attempting to do so, it's partly my fault I suppose, I should have known better.

Are you deranged? Do I really have to explain that it costs more to attend two matches than it does one? <doh>

If you really believe that there is absolutely no hope for you.

He said "I think the most significant affect on attendences at Celtic Park, and they are not in any way greatly concering, is the economy".

And as for Chapper's argument that the economy is no worse now than it was in 2007, that is simply laughable. Take it from me, people are feeling the pinch and things are much worse, pay restraint, (especially in the Public Sector) had not even been thought of back in 2007 or 2009, it's only the last couple of years where the recession has begun to bite. If Chapper, Medro and Nev think the recession has had little or no effect on Celtic fan's finances and that the only (or main reason) Celtic numbers are down is because of the absence of Rangers from the SPL, then they are ****ing idiots not to put to fine a point on it.

They would obviously love to believe it and perhaps they have convinced themselves that they are correct, but they have no way of proving Lawell is wrong, so they will do as they always do, disagree with him on principle, whatever the merits of his point.

20. Girvan Loyal 1690

I think you know fine well the reason. Everyone does, you just don't want to believe it.