1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

might have to dig out the old android box
    hopefully it still works

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Get a Firestick - 30 quid, and then an hour to hack and set up

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. Steelmonkey

Thank **** - after the Beeb cancelled all their schedule on Friday night for Big Phils Memorial it's finally time for the MasterChef final - yeehaaaahhhhh my fave program on the telly!!

Wherever, kiwiqpr and Hoop-Leif like this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Tom Jones on the One Show tonight talking about his new album.'Surrounded by Time'. The man still has a fantastic voice and this album sounds like it's a very personal, reflective piece. I very much hope he's not on his way out, but I get the impression that this is in a similar vein to Johnny Cash's last album. I'm going to buy it.

kiwiqpr and sb_73 like this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Was out round the corner for a chilly dinner al fresco with some friends this evening and the background music was a playlist from Spotify called Southern Gothic. Utterly brilliant mood music behind good conversation, wine and food. The only song I recognised was Johnny Cash’s version of Personal Jesus, but many sounded familiar. I will look up and return with comments.*

Also a really nice wine called lusso (or perhaps luso) from Portugal was sampled. Actually guzzled.

* this is a 7 hour 11 minute long playlist. I probably heard about the first four and a half hours worth this evening, and was constantly turning round to say - hold on, this is great, who is it? Having looked at the artists/songs on the list I have probably heard about 30 minutes worth before. Great stuff, but not if you are a depressive character.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Stroller and Steelmonkey like this.
  6. Steelmonkey

Eyes down for Sunday nights finale...

D5uEfeqX4AAxHFS.jpg

sb_73 and kiwiqpr like this.
  7. Steelmonkey

Last night on BBC Scotland, excellent documentary about Dale Barclay, lead singer of The Amazing Snakeheads, the bands rise from the underground scene in Glasgow, and his battle with brain cancer, which he sadly lost at the tender age of 32. He was an exceptional talent, maybe not to everyones taste, heavy rock'n'roll and a fantastic showman - bit of a Nick Cave vibe mixed with Josh Homme!

Dale Barclay: All On Black: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000vmv8 via @bbciplayer

kiwiqpr likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Blimey steelsy
    Just heard taylor swift on radio six
    what's going on in the world

Steelmonkey likes this.
  9. Steelmonkey

Thursdays are "Travel Back" days, this week it's the 2010s......and it is Lauren Laverne who's on just now, she does play some ****e amongst the good stuff!!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  10. Stroller

please log in to view this image

Anyone else been watching this series? Proper water-cooler TV. I can't wait for the finale on Sunday when we'll all be gathered around the water-cooler in our front room. Seriously though, it's been very good.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.

11. Steelmonkey

Hope you've got your bingo cards printed out!!

Stroller likes this.
  12. Stroller

We do the wine slurps. One for 'bent coppers', two for 'Mother of God'.

13. Steelmonkey

Some sore heads on a Monday morning then <cheers>

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Kelly MacDonald has acted everyone else off the screen. Some of the writing has been lazy and stilted to put it mildly. But it draws you in. I hope the rumours that tonight’s is the last ever are true.

15. Stroller

Yeah, I would agree about the writing, but then he does have to get all the catchphrases in. I just let it all wash over me and enjoy it for what it is. I'd be happy enough if there were another series.

Just heard someone on the radio talking about a 'Dine of Duty' meal he's preparing. Didn't catch all of it, but the main course was a haddock dish - Grilled H with Lime of Duty and Bent Capers, followed by a CHIS Board with Onion, Chilli and Garlic (OCG) relish. It's getting like the Eurovision Song Contest.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

There is an Antiques Roadshow on now which is focussing on artefacts from the aftermath of World War Two. I think it’s a repeat, but it’s very moving and, in good taste, they are not pricing anything.

Reminds me of the book Savage Continent by Keith Lowe, a great and sombre review of the amazing carnage that continued after the formal end of WW2, almost everywhere in Europe, which was a revelation to me, and which I think I have mentioned on this thread before.

There are still real links between this history and today. Wife has just told me that she was living in Lyons (year out as a French degree student) when Klaus Barbie, the Butcher of Lyon, was on trial for war crimes.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Happy with that? Bit flat I felt.

18. Stroller

Very flat. Little doubt about there being another series.

19. Steelmonkey

There's very little exciting new TV about at the moment, so I've been delving into the world cinema archives for some hidden gems....

I've just finished The Investigation, available on iPlayer, following the efforts of the Danish police as they try to gather enough evidence to prove the guilt of the man responsible for the murder of journalist Kim Wall aboard his self-made submarine. I remember the story going around on the news back in 2017/2018 but the investigation, and the efforts that they went to to locate all of her missing body parts is phenomenal. An intriguing watch, all the more satisfying for knowing it's a true story.

Deutschland '89 (All4) - follow up to Deutschland '83 and '86 sees Martin Rauch still carrying out the bidding of his Stasi superiors whilst also working with the CIA, all amongst the fall-out of the collapse of the Soviet Union, East Germany and the Berlin Wall. Brilliant, especially if you've watched the previous two seasons.

The Valhalla Murders (iPlayer) - Icelandic crime drama following a series of murders linked to abuse at a childrens home. Dark, and very atmospheric. I'd always fancied visiting Reykavic, but this shows you the side of Iceland that tourists probably never see, and it's pretty grim....very good watch.

DNA (iPlayer) - another Nordic crime show, a case of child abduction, leading to child trafficking across Denmark, Poland and France - great twist towards the end, although if you're tuned in you can probably see it coming.

20. Steelmonkey

Total pish - what a let down after all the hype. No way they can leave it there

sb_73 likes this.