1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Was it a Snow White sequel? :)

kiwiqpr likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Have you seen In Bruges Kiwi? Same writer/director, and an all time classic. I remember being disappointed in this in comparison, but it's probably good if you don't compare.

Another deeply odd film starring Colin Farrell is Lobster. Like, really odd. I loved it, in a what the **** kind of way.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

snow white and her 7 psycopathic dwarves
    stabber
    shooter
    strangler
    poisoner
    and three others i cant remember

4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

i might go and re watch in bruges

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

BBC Radio 4 Master Tapes today featured one of the few bona fide geniuses around, Randy Newman, in conversation about his Sail Away album and playing songs. Second part is on this evening, but it will all be on iPlayer or whatever.

He is just as funny, clever and self deprecating as you would expect. Somehow he combines brutal satire with beautiful, melancholic music which can bring a lump to your throat. God's Song should be the atheist anthem.

6. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

I think we need to review this review thread!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Wanted - One Reviewer to review a Review thread.
    All reviews must be conducted in accordance with the Review policy 2016, so that the reviewer can review all other reviews that were reviewed by other reviewers who conducted offical reviews on behalf of the Review Board.
    The review process for a reviewer will be reviewed once all reviews have been submitted to the reviewer holding the review.

Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

The review policy of 2016 might need reviewing to bring it up to date with any recent review policy guidelines

Uber_Hoop and Didley Squat like this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

At great personal sacrifice I can attest that, after a beer (Bitburger, bottled) some French fizz and some Italian fizz, a decent Barolo beats a decent Châteauneuf du Pape hands down. If consumed in a different order the result may be different.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    SW Ranger, Uber_Hoop and Steelmonkey like this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Turns out that this brave comparative experiment was flawed (in a way I was not in a position to exercise mature judgement on at the time). It is only now that I realise that the Châteauneuf du Pape had insufficient time to breathe for a valid comparison to be made (I required the beverage immediately). So the trial will have to be repeated when supplies have been replenished.

kiwiqpr likes this.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

We are lucky to have someone like you around sb

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

I have spent awhile reviewing Xnxx and have to say it's worth the effort

Kilburn and Didley Squat like this.
  13. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

I would like to throughly recommend water

Didley Squat likes this.
  14. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

You have me curious now as I do not believe I have ever knowingly tried Hungarian Barolo (drank lots of full bodied Bull's Blood as a young man), but have enjoyed Châteauneuf du Pape on special occasions.

I recall around 1975 on a trip home on leave from my geophyical surveying job overseas when I met up at a London pub with a couple of former school mates. they were quite impressed when I bought a bottle of Châteauneuf du Pape that even with pub mark-up was only £4.75

Here in New Brunswick with a government run liquor system the listings of both are somewhat limited, but both are in a similar price range I note:-

http://www.nbliquor.com/Home/Produc...rietySelected=&ShowGrapeVarieties=&Printable=

http://www.nbliquor.com/Home/Products?Search= Pape&Type=Store&NewProductsOnly=false&OrderBy=ProductName&OrderAscending=True&Take=25&Skip=0&ProductClassSelected=&ProductLineSelected=&StoreSelected=&SugarLevelSelected=&VintageSelected=&ShowStores=&ShowSugarLevels=&ShowVintages=&ViewCategorySelected=&GrapeVarietySelected=&ShowGrapeVarieties=&Printable=

This Barolo listing is the cheapest (about half the cost of the others) but would still be a stretch to my usual wine budget, but may try it:-
    • Batasiolo Barolo DOCG 750ml
    • UPC #632738100013
    • Red Table Wines-Hungary
    • Retail Price: $35.29
    • In Warehouse: 612
    please log in to view this image

In the Châteauneuf du Pape search this Cotes du Rhone (Caves des Papes - so a totally different beast) also popped up that seems well priced and I may also try (more on my budget):-

• Heritage Cotes du Rhone 750ml
    • UPC #714320135006
    • Red Table Wines-France
    • Retail Price: $18.49
    • In Warehouse: 828

15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The Barolo I drink is from Piedmont, northern Italy, Killy. A decent bottle will be about £15, a good one a lot more. I've never heard of a Hungarian version, will look for it. I think your state run bottle shops are a bit of a swindle at those prices.

Kilburn likes this.
  16. Kilburn

Would highly recommend this excellent gin from a relatively new distillery & brewery operation located on the Acadian Peninsular, a region where I have spent my summer vacations by the ocean for the past 30 years.

Recently expanded, I thoroughly enjoyed their distillery tour and aferwards tasted all their excellent products.

http://distilleriefilsduroy.com/?age-verified=eaea5b1867

Gin Thuya sells for only C$30 a bottle and is so smooth consumed neat without tonic water, also won an award recently in London. Definitely not the mother's ruin variety of gin.

Look out for it if it ever makes it across the pond!

New Brunswick distillery Fils du Roy takes home gold medal
    San Francisco World Spirits Competition awards Fils du Roy's Gin Thuya its top prize
    By Dylan Hackett, CBC News Posted: Apr 02, 2016 8:00 AM AT Last Updated: Apr 02, 2016 8:00 AM AT

Fils du Roy’s Gin Thuya was one of 1,850 spirits judged at this year’s competition. This is the distillery's fourth gold medal for its gin. (Fils du Roy)

A New Brunswick spirit has received another gold medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Fils du Roy's Gin Thuya was one of 1,850 spirits judged at this year's competition. This is the distillery's third gold medal for its gin.

Owner and founder Sébastien Roy said the reason for the gin's success may very well be in the way it is made, a 150-year old process of distilling in copper pots, or an alembic.

"The judge can see that there was a lot of work behind the conception of the gin. That is the feedback we receive," said Roy.

Roy is waiting to hear back from a London competition in April and another in Germany in May.

Owner Sébastien Roy said the reason for the gin’s success may very well be in the way it’s made, a 150-year old process of distilling in copper pots, or an alembic. (Fils du Roy)

"We did not expect to have any recognition internationally. Those are very big competitions, the winners are usually big distilleries," he said.

The Fils du Roy's micro-distillery began its operation in Sept. 2012 in Petit-Paquetville. Roy expanded to Québec in June 2015, with a small facility in St-Arsène.

The distillery produces vodka, whisky and other spirits, and is working on a single malt whiskey to be introduced in the coming years.

Roy said next year Fils du Roy will offer something new to the competitions, a single malt gin, a melding of young whiskey and their now famous gin.

"Even if you are very small you can have big dreams. We didn't think we could dream that big … now we can see we have some success in those competitions and we are very happy."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fils-du-roy-gin-award-1.3514793

17. Kilburn

Yes definitely a swindle, limits choice, plus they can suddenly delist a product you like, but a huge revenue earner for the NB government - appears only Hungarian Barolo here, C$35 the cheapest, others double that.

18. Kilburn

My personal favourite!

19. Kilburn

Also from Fils du Roy - August Water - very good, they cannot officially call whisky in the label title due to the age in the barrel - only 350 bottles available each year (in August of course), that disappear in a couple of days sold direct from the distllery - my daughter's boyfriend bought $200 of their products, so they magically produced an extra bottle of this for him from under the counter.

L’Eau d’Août

L’Eau d’Août – Whisky 40%Les canadiens produisent du très bon whisky, ainsi que du très bon sirop d’érable. C’est avec cette idée qu’est née notre Eau d’Août, un whisky aromatisé au sirop d’érable.

L’Eau d’Août est produite une fois par année en très petite quantité. Il faut venir nous voir à la Distillerie de Petit-Paquetville pour mettre la main sur ce produit.

http://distilleriefilsduroy.com/?p=61

20. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I would recomend an Amaroni if you want a full bodied Italian, though Sophia Loren in her prime might have done better, or any red from Puglia