1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Lamont Dozier: Motown hitmaker dies aged 81

please log in to view this image

Motown hitmaker Lamont Dozier, who penned songs for The Supremes, The Four Tops and The Isley Brothers, as well as Marvin Gaye and Martha and the Vandellas, has died aged 81.

The news was confirmed by his son Lamont Dozier Jr on Instagram.

As part of the Holland, Dozier, Holland songwriting team, he had many number one records and also won Grammy awards.

Their hits include Baby Love, Nowhere to Run, How Sweet It Is (to Be Loved by You) and You Can't Hurry Love.

Dozier, along with Brian Holland, served as the musical arranger and producer, while their friend and colleague Eddie Holland focused on the lyrics and vocal production.

They shaped the famous Detroit label's influential sound, with tracks such as This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You), Reach Out I'll Be There and Heat Wave.

Guitar hero Nile Rodgers led the tributes, labelling Dozier, who later moved in to musical theatre, a "music composing genius".

3. Hammersmith bookie

4. Hammersmith bookie

Really grim last few days

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  5. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

That it has :emoticon-0106-cryin:emoticon-0106-cryin:emoticon-0106-cryin<rose><rose><rose>

Hammersmith bookie likes this.
  6. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

He wrote my fav tune ahh that opening drum roll

7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

RIP TC

Roger E. Mosley: Magnum P.I. actor dies aged 83 after car crash
    • Published
      1 day ago
    IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
    Image caption,
    Roger E. Mosley was involved in a car accident in Lynwood, Los Angeles last week
    Actor Roger E. Mosley, who appeared in all eight seasons of the original Magnum P.I., has died aged 83.

He portrayed Theodore "T.C." Calvin, the helicopter pilot and friend of Tom Selleck's character.

Mosley died from injuries sustained in a car accident in Lynwood, Los Angeles last week.

His daughter Ch-a, who previously told followers about the car crash, confirmed his death to the Hollywood Reporter.

She later wrote on Facebook: "We could never mourn such an amazing man. He would hate any crying done in his name. It is time to celebrate the legacy he left for us all.

"I love you daddy. You loved me too. My heart is heavy but I am strong. I will care for mommy, your love of almost 60 years. You raised me well and she is in good hands. Rest easy."

His friend Tina Andrews tweeted: "What a sweet man, and a fine actor who gave great parties. RIP, Roger. You were loved and shall be missed."

Mosley played musician Huddie Ledbetter, known for The Midnight Special, in 1976's Leadbelly - a performance which was praised by critics.

He also appeared in The Mack, Hit Man, The Greatest, Darktown Strutters and Sweet, Jesus Preacherman.

But Mosley's most high-profile role was in Magnum P.I., which saw him appear in 158 out of 162 episodes between 1980 and 1988.

IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
    Image caption,
    Mosley appeared opposite Tom Selleck in Magnum P.I. during the 1980s
    The series was created by Donald Bellisario and Glen A. Larson - and Mosley's character T.C. was a buddy of Selleck's Thomas Magnum from their days in Vietnam.

His character owned a helicopter charter company in Oahu called Island Hoppers, which came in handy on the series that aired from December 1980 until May 1988.

According to Mosley, his co-star Selleck recommended him for the part after they worked together on 1973's Terminal Island. Producers had reportedly considered casting Gerald McRaney, before deciding they needed a person of colour in the principal cast.

'Tom Selleck shows always fail'
    Mosley was working on films at the time and did not want a job on a television show, but his agent talked him into doing the Magnum pilot.

As Mosley remembered it, his agent told him: "'It's starring this guy Tom Selleck. Tom Selleck has made about five pilot shows … and none of them has sold.

"'So here's what you do, Roger: sign up for the show, go over to Hawaii, they'll treat you good for the 20 days it will take to shoot the [pilot], you'll get a lot of money, and then you come home. A show with Tom Selleck always fails, and you'll be fine.'"

Mosley then joked: "Well, eight-and-a-half years later… "

The actor felt strongly that his character should be a university graduate, a lover of books and poetry and a guy who didn't party.

"They [the Magnum writers] keep writing for me to smoke and drink, but I won't do it," he said in a 1982 interview in Ebony. "I never get high, smoke or drink on the show or in real life. That's not what I want black kids to see."

Mosley did less acting in his later years, and mostly stopped appearing in films and TV shows around 2010.

However, he did guest star in two episodes of the revived Magnum P.I., which launched in 2018, starring Jay Hernandez and Perdita Weeks.

UTRs and Steelmonkey like this.
  8. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Iconic! Absolutely blows away many composers of that amazing era. Thank you Lamont for everything, you were astounding.

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

RIP Raymond Briggs, best known for the rather saccharine The Snowman, but also the author of the great graphic novel When the Wind Blows, satirising the Government advice to citizens on what to do on the event of a nuclear attack.

10. Steelmonkey

He'll be Walking in the Air now

RIP

11. Hammersmith bookie

Screenshot_20220810-154708_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Highly respected by other umpires and most players. RIP Rudi

12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Hammersmith bookie and kiwiqpr like this.
  13. Hammersmith bookie

14. Uber_Hoop

15. Hammersmith bookie

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  16. Steelmonkey

Last Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev dies at 91

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has died aged 91.

Mr Gorbachev, who took over in 1985, is best known for opening up the USSR and for bringing the Cold War to a peaceful end, but he was unable to prevent his country collapsing in 1991.

Many Russians blame him and his reformist policies for the country's demise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62732447

For all the good he did, unfortunately he opened the door for Putin

17. Hammersmith bookie

Screenshot_20220830-232813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    RIP Ray, a hoopton through and through

18. Uber_Hoop

19. Uber_Hoop

Prostate cancer is a bastard.

20. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

It is if you don't catch it quickly. PSA blood tests are available for men, over 55 if I recall. All you have to do is ask your doctor to have one annually.