1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The Rumour Mill, summer 2021

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Feb 26, 2021.

1. WareCanary

WareCanary Active Member

Yes, same as you. Mason is likely to be temporary but I don't think Skipp would be close to the Spurs first team whether or not new management comes in.

Newforest Yellow likes this.
  2. WareCanary

WareCanary Active Member

It's our business model to allow our best players to move on for the right price then invest the proceeds in the next set of potential bargain gems. The fact we are prepared to do this plus encourage youth is what makes us attractive to many players with aspirations to prove themselves and move on to "big" clubs.

3. WareCanary

WareCanary Active Member

As for Cantwell, if anyone is mad enough to give us £20-30 million for him (Villa are mentioned as a replacement for Grealish), we should jump at it IMO. I think he's vastly over-rated - he has some good moves but many short-comings.

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

5. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

6. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

As many have previously said, his shortcomings in the championship are his strengths in the PL. He gets more protection from the refs at the top table and last season he did quite well, considering he is one of our own. I'd like to see Cantwell again next season with the relegation under his belt. Besides, he has one of the worst goal celebration repertoires, which is worth keeping him for just for ****s and giggles

7. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Maybe Crouch can come out of retirement to join in with a Robot or something?

chinacanary likes this.
  8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree with this, whilst some struggled with the adjustment, over the last 3 seasons Cantwell has looked more at home in the Premier League than the Championship.

From NYD 2020 it took him until mid-December 2020 to register another goal, so he had a pretty barren 2020 (1 goal, 3 assists in a calendar year), but either side of that he has looked good, particularly when settled.

9. RiverEndRick

I also agree that Todd is a better player in the PL where his flair fits the style of play better. His weakness is his defensive contribution, as was obvious against Bournemouth and Watford when Krul was railing at him and Quintilla about not stopping the crosses coming in. Buendia and Hernandez are better in that regard.

WareCanary likes this.
  10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Tettey is quoted in the EDP as not expecting a contract from Norwich this summer, his plan is to return to Trondheim with his family, and take coaching badges for youth coaching.

Wouldn't rule out a return to NCFC as a coach in the future, but not a topic of discussion short-term.

Good luck to him, would be nice if the fans can give him a proper send-off, would be a shame if he never plays in front of a crowd again. Either a testimonial or pre-season friendly.

11. RiverEndRick

Yes, that looks the likely outcome now but he did include a caveat:

"If the club wants me another year, I have to take it with my wife. The plan is to start a new life in Trondheim. It will be a tough habit for both the kids, aged two and soon seven, who have never lived in Norway, and me too, who have not lived there for a long time."

He seems to be content with whatever may happen.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/alex-tettey-set-to-leave-norwich-city-7924130

12. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Realistically a Club cannot stand in the way of any employee who wishes to better himself. We will have one of the lowest budgets in the PL meaning we will have one of the lowest wage structures. If any of the top 12 PL Clubs or a top European Club come in for any of our players you can quote loyalty or contracts as much as you like but the player won't be here next season. We don't have to sell, don't want to sell and, for future financial security probably only need to sell one player but the outcome is not in our hands. We just cannot stand in the way of a player doubling or tripling his wages at a Club guaranteed to still be in the PL throughout the length of his contract. We all know that Aarons is on his way and I just cannot see Cantwell and Buendia being here next season either. It will just be a case of getting the best transfer fee possible and I would be most disappointed if we didn't get a total of £100m for the three most of which will go into the rainy day fund. What about DF and SW? There will be several big Clubs looking for a new Head Coach and even a new direction. I fear more than one will take a long look at DF and his staff if they just want a new Head Coach but if they want a new direction then a team of DF and SW becomes a very attractive proposition.

13. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Both are out of contract at the end of next summer, and I really wouldn't be surprised to see both move on. Whatever happens in the coming season, they've both proven themselves here. Webber could probably look for a move to a top club (Manchester United have an opening coming up....), and Farke could move to a bigger club too. I don't think Farke ever moved his family to Norfolk, so perhaps he'd look for a return to Germany.

Whatever happens, I don't believe either would want to leave the club in a mess. I believe Webber has already spoken about how important it is to find the right successor.

zogean_king likes this.
  14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

15. RiverEndRick

All of that is true, but there's another factor which is how many of the supposedly interested clubs are willing to pay the fees we'd accept. It isn't up to the players to decide when they can go. We refused Liverpool's derisory offer for Lewis but later accepted a Newcastle bid which met our asking price. The same was true for Godfrey when Everton met our asking price. I expect Aarons to leave if Everton or another club meet our asking price, which certainly could happen. I'm more sceptical that any of the rumoured suitors for Buendia are anywhere near being prepared to stump up anything like the £40m asking price. The same goes for the rumoured suitors for Cantwell.

WareCanary and carrowcanario like this.
  16. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

17. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Of all the players we have signed in the Webber era, how many did we know about before it actually happened? Ben Gibson is the only one I am sure of, with a maybe for The Mayor. What I am saying, when signings are announced it will be someone we have never been linked with. I believe we have a scouting network in S America so some surprise from there could well be on the cards.

zogean_king likes this.
  18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And according to the Daily Mail , Villa are ‘awaiting an offer’ from Manchester City for club captain Jack Grealish, who is rated at £100 million.

The report claims that Cantwell is seen as a possible replacement for the England international, with Norwich willing to let the player go for a fee of around £30 million.

Cor, yes please - especially if it increases the likelihood of Emi and / or Max staying <ok>

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...ich-villa-cantwell-transfer-reaction-20472001

CitySlicker2010 likes this.
  19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

12 months on his contract, previously spoken about wanting to play in England, currently in Germany, it's all very believable.

Read elsewhere that whilst the Pinkun describe him as an "attacker", he's more a box-to-box central midfielder. He's regularly played in a midfield two this season. So of our existing squad, probably more likely to be competition for McLean than Dowell. Could also work in a 4-3-3 playing alongside McLean and a DM. Adds a lot of physicality to the midfield too.

20. RiverEndRick

Yes, I saw that and looked up his details where nothing particularly stood out - a CM who can also play as an AM or second striker and has scored 5 goals in 28 games in the Bundesliga (possibly a Stieperman or Rupp replacement?). Could he be seen as a deep playmaker in a 4-3-2-1 formation for the PL?

Edit: Snap DH.

FLW verdict: "Andrich looks to be a technically-gifted midfielder who would certainly fit in Carrow Road. They have a host of technical players at the club and help Daniel Farke’s side adopt an attractive brand of football. He’s still young at the age of 26 and is entering his peak years, so Norwich are likely to see the best of him if he did sign."

DF's view: “We don’t have to invest in the infrastructure, or the academy or to sort our previous financial problems, or to extend the contracts of our young lads. That means we can invest to bring in quality. Plus we now have a group who have Premier League experience. This time last season it was Alex Tettey only. We must be spot on in our planning.”

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    zogean_king likes this.