1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The Rumour Mill, summer 2021

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the league, all about government regulations. We had to wait for Soto to become a full international before we could apply for the permit.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I'd prefer a left-footed ball-playing CB with dependable distribution, given Gibson's tendency to pick up niggling injuries and to provide competition in all positions. Can't say this excites me. We need PL level players to strengthen the squad.

carrowcanario likes this.
  3. toastehmonstah

toastehmonstah Active Member

Yep, just seems like lazy journalism to me

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

It's based on German commentators saying Norwich were linked with him last season.

Click bait

RiverEndRick likes this.
  5. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

He'd have a maximum of 8 points (based off the league and playing time) where 15 are needed to automatically qualify or it goes to a tribunal. In other words it aint gonna happen!

Canary Rob and RiverEndRick like this.
  6. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

A swap deal with Zimbo, swapping passports as well ............

zogean_king likes this.
  7. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Matthew Hoppe - Schalke Striker (in the mould of a Pukki apparently). 20 yrs old American. Visa question again maybe?

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-linked-matthew-hoppe-schalke-7833378

Norwich City have reportedly joined the race to sign Schalke striker Matthew Hoppe.

The 20-year-old American has been a rare bright spot in a disastrous season for the Gelsenkirchen based side who sit rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga.

Hoppe has netted five times in 15 games in the German top-flight during this campaign, including a hat-trick in their only win of the season against Hoffenheim back in January.

The striker only turned 20 last week, and is reportedly being monitored by the Canaries as they ramp up preparations for next season.

Transfermarkt.co.uk is suggesting that City are monitoring his situation as Schalke prepare for relegation to the Bundesliga Two. The report states that Hoppe has a gentlemen's agreement with his current club that would allow him to leave providing they received a bid that matches his valuation.

Dutch giants Ajax, current Premier League champions Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur are also listed as clubs interested in signing Hoppe with a fee of around €7-10 million believed to be enough to secure his signature this summer.

The 20-year-old, originally from California, swapped the US for the Veltins-Arena after a season with FC Barcelona's America based academy. He became the first-ever American to score a hat-trick in the Bundesliga. His five goals arrived in only six shots on target.

VERDICT: City already possess a young American international striker in Sebastian Soto but could be looking to bolster their frontline should they achieve promotion to the Premier League.

With Adam Idah and Jordan Hugill in support of Teemu Pukki, the Canaries may elect to add another goal-getter to their ranks to ease the burden on the Finnish international.

Hoppe looks a striker cut in a similar mould to Pukki and has top-flight pedigree and substantial potential to grow into should he arrive at Carrow Road. City would face competition for his signature and may need to guarantee first-team football.

This is an intriguing link at an interesting time. City's recruitment team have begun preparations for next season and Germany has been a popular market for them since Daniel Farke and Stuart Webber arrived at the club.

The Canaries will look to seize upon opportunities in the market from clubs who may be under financial constraints due to the Covid-19 pandemic or have dropped divisions.

Hoppe would certainly fit the profile that City consider when recruiting fresh talent.

8. RiverEndRick

We currently have 6 strikers on our books: Pukki, Hugill, Idah, Sinani, Soto and Omotoye. Soto now has a work permit and is more experienced, so I can't see why we'd want to gamble around €7m on a relatively inexperienced player who would be unlikely to impact on next season, especially given the likely work permit problem which would mean him going out on loan.

9. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

I am wondering if Hugill will want to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to Pukki next season. Would he be interested in a move if there is any interest I him or would he prefer to stay on improved wages in PL?

10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Hugill knows his role in the squad well, and currently seems happy with it. I've no doubt that when he signed, he joined the team knowing the strengths of the team didn't match well to the type of service he needs - and that that wasn't about to change. This is Pukki's team, and we weren't about to swap through balls for high balls to better suit Hugill.

So if a "young Pukki" comes in, then that's competition and cover for Pukki in the event of injury, and also allows us to manage Pukki's minutes more. But there are still situations where Hugill will still be preferred., when we need a set piece asset in either boxes, for example. Probably no different to now when Idah is available, he offers something different from the bench to Hugill.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

The American boy scored 5 goals from 6 shots ..

You would need to have brass balls to bang on Farke's door demanding to drop Pukki .

Bure budgie and DHCanary like this.
  12. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Hoppe isn't fast according to sofifa. He has a 65 (?) for pace. So, I don't see him being like Pukki. At 6'3" he sounds more like a target man. Haven't seen him play, though.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  13. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I think the similarity reference was more about his knack of timing his runs and general movement to create through-ball opportunities. Something our mids love to see. If he's as slow as you say though, that may not be ideal.

14. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it as gospel. I got the info from Sofifa. I don't know how accurate those things are - futhead, futwiz etc. But if true then it does sound slow.

https://sofifa.com/player/259751/matthew-hoppe/210023/

15. Golden Eadie 2

He is 20 years old. If he is so good why is he not in Mexico with the US U23 squad for the Olympic qualifying tournament which starts today, UK time. Soto is there.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  16. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Isn't fattening beef part of the strategy, as well as breeding young bulls?

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

He got a hat trick on his debut in Shalke's 1st & only win out of 25 played
    They went from Champions League to relegation something very wrong

18. RiverEndRick

Certainly Robbie, but €7m is a lot to pay for a young calf when we already have 6 strikers with a higher pedigree and growth chart. Even Giannoulis won't cost us that much and he's an established international player. The money can be better spent elsewhere.

zogean_king and carrowcanario like this.
  19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I mean, on the evidence of that hat-trick video alone, I can see why we'd be interested. All three goals are good runs from Hoppe to find space, and superb, confident finishing. Hoffenheim are a decent Bundesliga side too.

6 strikers with a higher pedigree and growth chart? That hat-trick is 3 more top flight goals than Idah and Hugill have combined. And 3 more goals than Omotoye has ever scored in league football.

€7m euros is very little for a young striker, especially if the club think he fits our system. It might not be the most pressing addition to the squad, but I can absolutely see the sense in it.

20. Golden Eadie 2

There is a lot to consider there. Is he slow, why has he not been selected for the US U23 Olympic qualifying (Soto played for them a few hours ago), could he qualify for a work visa fairly soon and how do our scouts rate him given the price quoted. I cannot see us shelling out anywhere near that figure for a future "prospect".