1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The Rumour Mill, summer 2021

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Feb 26, 2021.

1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Whether we stay up or get relegated the club have done their upmost to give Farke a fighting chance .

They have pushed the finances to the limits without jeopardising the club's future through creative contracts that only cost us if the players succeed in our goals.

This is the best equipped team I have seen to fight for the club in a Premier league season .

It will take a while for everything to click but we have the nucleus of a very tidy team with back up for suspenjuries .

I'm still expecting it to be a long hard season but put a few little runs together and it might just be enough

2. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

There surely would be a limit because of the home grown rule.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From the PL website:

- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
    - The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
    - Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
    - A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

But as I said before, this only applies to domestic loans. I can't see that loans from Prem and non-Prem clubs makes a difference.

Rulebook (PDF) is here if you like: https://resources.premierleague.com...d-15878b6d33b2/2020-21-PL-Handbook-240321.pdf

RiverEndRick likes this.
  4. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

According to the Athletic, Liverpool's Sporting Director, Michael Edwards is leaving his post with the Reds next summer, at the end of his current contract. Presumably he's looking for a different kind of challenge. Given Stuart Webber is already well-known to Liverpool, maybe they're contemplating a job swap ....

5. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

True, that would be an indirect limit - there’s nothing specifically limiting international loans though, as far as I can see. But I really am no expert!

6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The players we've acquired in this window add up to £87.3m according to their Transfermarkt valuation. If you add the £14.9m for the permanent signing of Gibson and Giannoulis, we've added £102.2m worth of players to the squad. Even if we deduct the £33m Villa paid for Buendia that's still circa £70m net added to the squad, and that's without taking into account the potential increase in value in the future, particularly for the younger players like Tzolis, Sargent and Kabak (if he stays).

Canary Rob likes this.
  7. Canary Rob

Careful some posters don’t like using Transfermarkt as a very rough proxy for value

8. RiverEndRick

I was thinking that in the back of my mind, Rob, but it's the only index of value I could think of and the best antidote for the crap that TalkSh*te and others put out. It's not what we spend, it's what the players' relative value is.

9. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Aarons to Man Utd rumour on BBC Sport website. IF we sell him, should we spend the money on a new striker? Our strike force looks out of its depth in EPL.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  10. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I don't know who we could get that's affordable. I'll leave that to more knowledgeable posters. But, has Pukki been bad or is it more the entire offense? Idah is unproven but doesn't get a lot of opportunity. Sargent, so far, is running true to his reputation of being a good player without much end product.

If the scouts could find a good prospect, I would be all for it.

11. Canary Rob

I don’t think Pukki has been bad - he’s been feeding on scraps and no striker will finish every opportunity. If we can maintain a solid base, I think confidence in midfield will grow and more striking opportunities will be created.

I don’t think we should be too harsh on Sargent - he’s bustling with energy and yes his end product isn’t there, but he’s the same age as Aarons so has masses of room to grow.

12. RiverEndRick

Agree with all of that Rob. Pukki has 2 goals in 7 games during a tough start. and we need to remember that he was coming back from injury at the start of the season. If he continues at that rate he'd score around 10 or 11 goals, like last time in the PL, but I think he'll do better than that once the new players settle in and get going.

Sargent is one of those new players and he's only had 2 or 3 starts plus the cup game where he scored twice. I think both will do better in the two striker formation as the midfielders adjust as well. That formation really suits Aarons and Giannoulis and if we can keep it tight at the back the goals will come, particularly if Normann can be the key link player and McLean and Lees-Melou provide support and goal-scoring as well.

13. DUNCAN DONUTS

3 goals in 17 40 against

14. RiverEndRick

Pukki scored 26 in the Championship - not really interested in 2 years ago.

Canary Rob and zogean_king like this.
  15. DUNCAN DONUTS

It's where we are Rick , no easy games in the Premier league

16. Canary Rob

Accept your argument that we should assess him based on Premier League performances, but if so it’s harsh to only pick the last 17 matches. His overall record of 13 goals in 43 matches is pretty good - based on minutes played it works out as a goal just inside every three games, which is a very solid return. And that’s including a very tough barren spell for Norwich after Covid.

17. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

My concern with Pukki is that his main supply has always been Buendia, I don’t have the stats to back that up, I’m sure Cantwell and Stiepermann chipped in with a few too but I would estimate that close to 60-70% of his goals were assisted by Buendia. Pukki relies on running off the last man onto a well timed through ball. The new system simply doesn’t seem to get players into the best positions (number 10) role to play those kinds of passes and I therefore wonder whether Pukki is the right striker for the system. Perhaps Rashica and Sargent up top would be a better option considering they are already familiar with one another’s game.

CitySlicker2010 likes this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

No our entire squad scored 3 goals in last 17 1 pen & 1 Emi Buendia goal against Watford .

Even counting Buendia's input we have only scored 1 goal on average after conceding 13.33333 .

Last weeks clean sheet was fantastic but we are still pretty toothless at this level .

Idah only scored 2 last season in the Championship so we could do with some goals

19. RiverEndRick

IMO the key to the new 3-5-2 formation is Normann, who plays as a DM when we don't have the ball then shifts into a deep playmaker to progress the ball forward once we have possession. It's still early days as he's only played 3 games so far but he did provide the through ball assist for Pukki's goal against Watford. Sargent has 3 starts and 3 sub appearances so far and seems to be settling in now.

We need to give all of the new players time. Lees-Melou played an excellent through ball to Sargent, but Josh wasn't anticipating it. All 3 of those are at Colney over the break and they should be working on these linkups. Idah can also contribute goals and Rashica has also played as a striker so we're not desperate for options, all of whom are better than the other striker options we've had lately. I also like Suffolk's suggestion that we try Rashica and Sargent up front if the goals don't come soon, but I'm confident the goals will come.

20. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

My point about Pukki was not that he's been bad but that the entire offense has been. Only 1 goal from play in 7 games says it all.
    My criticism about my countryman, Sargent, is not so much criticism as observation. I like the way he plays and the effort he puts in. I think he will contribute to goals if we ever click on offense. The same with Rashica and PLM, neither are superstars but they have the ability to add to the goal scoring.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us put three past an opponent in the near future. It will take better passing, though, than what we've shown so far.