1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread The Saints Beating Leicester on Saturday 25th August at 15:00 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintmagic, Aug 21, 2018.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We need to keep getting points (and a win...any win is the best way to do that)….this has the side effect of breeding confidence and confidence means players will be more likely to try something rather than play safe. Result is that we are more entertaining.

fatletiss likes this.
  2. fran-MLs little camera

Romeu has said we must start faster and not have such a big difference between the two halves.

There is nothing wrong with starting carefully and then taking on the opposition when there initial burst of energy is gone....we've played that system before....but that only works if you don't let goals in. It worked when we had a really good defence and then we had the skill to attack. We are a bit disjointed at the moment...have some really good players, but we struggle to knit our play together. At home especially we need to pin the opposition back and score an early goal or goals....even though that may leave us open to an attack on the break.:emoticon-0138-think Mmmm...ok, I'm not a manager....but I do believe that we need to stop teams doing what Burnley did to us in the first 20 mins...hard to resist that sort of pressure, so don't invite it.

VocalMinority likes this.
  3. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Clearly Hughes still doesn't know his best side, and how could he, but I can give him a pointer, it doesn't include Redmond. I'd be strongly tempted to give PEH a start too.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

Redmond played well in the Burnley game and seemed one of our more adventurous players...at one point he zig zagged into their goal area and I was praying someone would foul him for a penalty (or he would score....but I wasn't daft enough to hope for that with a Saints player :)). Hughes likes him so you may have to get used to seeing him start a lot of games.

5. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

lets make history
    Like Michael Jackson's HIStory album

6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Personally I feel with the right players around Ings and Redman. We would stand a chance of scoring against anyone. I would like to add Ely to that but we haven't seen enough to make a judgement on him yet. I'm not forgetting Charlie or Gabbi either all need the mid field to find them more which at the moment aint happening.........

7. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Obviously I want to see him do well. Of course I do. But for me he's too often the point where our attacks fail. Either not releasing it quickly enough, accurately enough, choosing the wrong pass entirely or not passing when he should. He seems to lack just a half second or so in thinking time which at this level is never going to cut the mustard. I honestly can't think of a player who has had a similar number of starts who I rate less.

Naturally I will change my avatar to his mugshot and my user name to Redmonster after he gets his hat-trick this weekend <laugh>

Archers Road likes this.
  8. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

In a way Redmond reminds me of sterling like that. He shows some excellent close control but then often does the opposite of what you want at the end of it.

Again I think being on the right helps a bit with that because he can knock it past defenders and cross on his strong foot rather than having to cut back and work out what to do next.

9. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

2-1 home win Benali to score the winner...for those old enough to remember

10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Redmond hatrick.

11. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

12. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Redmond has a clean sheet from me this season, genuinely think he has had a mare and wants to prove himself and move on. Cant ask any more than that of any player.

He's was excellent against Burnley, did everything I want to see him doing bar hitting the back of the net. Really Want him to succeed and do well for us.

13. fran-MLs little camera

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

15. fran-MLs little camera

Going to be harder for Leicester fans coming by train as their plans will be laid with fewer options to change.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Most Leicester fans who come by train will already be here I imagine... gonna make my journey slightly more difficult though.

17. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Nothing against these types of events , each to their own etc... But when they start shutting roads and it effects the day to day living of everyone else that’s when it starts to piss people off .

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I agree, fancy every other Saturday, having to shut off roads to let out coaches and 30,000 people roaming around....

19. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

It’s not the same thing and you know it<doh>.

20. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Would you have even made your original comment if it wasn't an LGBT organised event SS?

Plenty of other annual events have roads closed for them.