1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Science Discovery Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 13, 2018.

1. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

You must be aware that a considerable percentage of people dont believe it, especially younger generations, and if you are interested in why I dont then you must have been interested in why others dont. If thats the case and you have looked into it and still believe it then theres not much point me going into my reasons, you wont change your belief and I dont want to try and spoil it, i know a lot of people who lived through it have a lot of pride in it and are not open to the possibility of it being fake.

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

This is very true Eddie, but it's also a two way street. The same can be said of those who choose not to believe that the landings were real. Little can be said to alter their opinions. So I suppose on a personal front, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

As We Know likes this.
  3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

4. Cyclonic

It seems that I may have subconsciously known about this post before I realised it.

I've been reading about this stuff for a couples of weeks now. There's probably no way of getting to the bottom of it.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. Cyclonic

It's all load of rubbish Ron, George Jetson has already shown us the way forward. Besides, as Amdromeda is only travelling at 250,000 mph, we'll easily be able to out run it with our warp speed as depicted in Star Trek. The Enterprise was capable of .73 light years per hour which is about 6395 times the speed of light. So as you can plainly see, it is, as the Donald would say, more "Fake News."

:1980_boogie_down:

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So how insignificant are we now? One thing I can't help noticing is that it's becoming almost daily that scientists find something new that cast doubts on previous theories, causing them to re-think. How long can this go on? Why should we believe anything when so many eminent scientists are proved to be wrong. Obviously all theories are based on what we know. Given that we don't seem to know too much, what use are these theories?

Interesting finds here
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/tech...0000-more-galaxies/ar-BBTNf2K?ocid=spartandhp

12. Cyclonic

I think it's man's lot to make a heap of mistakes Ron, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't place a sensible trust in science. I think it was only about 10,000 years or so ago that we moved from being a hunter gatherer society to one where farming took a foot hold. I suppose if we then take a hard look at what happened in the next 9,800 years, when compared to now, progress was pretty slow. Then boom, it all took off. Compared to the 1850s, we now live in a world full of wonderment. Of course there's been a lot of crap along the way, and some truly terrible things have occurred, but we are where we are today thanks to some serious thinking.

A lot of people will say that life today is far worse that yesteryear, but does anyone really want to move back in time? If they took the option of returning to the past, I think they'd quickly regret it. No more stents, organ replacements, live sport and entertainment streams, lap tops, decent cars, mobile phones and budgie smugglers etc. Give me today, any day.

redcgull and Ron like this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't get me wrong Cyc; Science and technical discoveries have been amazing and fantastic. I was thinking more along the lines of how everything started. I keep reading about new discoveries out there which have caused scientists to re-think. At the rate we are progressing one wonders what they will come across next. I don't think they will ever give up. How long before we can be transferred in digital form to distant planets light years away, explore and return. Sounds crazy but some of the things happening today would have been thought crazy less than 100 years ago. I remember our company's first computer (early 60s). Housed in a massive air conditioned room with tape drives and massive disk drives holding large disc packs that each contained an incredible 300mb of data. Can't remember the memory size but compared to what you get in a mobile phone...…… <yikes>

Cyclonic likes this.
  14. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Could anyone help me here. I just cant seem to get my head around the flat universe. I keep returning to following :-
    1) what we observe is 3 dimensional inside a 2 dimensional one
    Or
    2) did the big bang only occur outwards into ie northern hemisphere.

The cold spot on CMB could explain the coming together of 2 universe in a multiverse giving point 2.
    Big bang, inflation and expansion covers point 1.
    Observable universe is 46 billion light years no matter where you look out so how is it described as flat. Obviously i am missing something i just hope someone can point me in the right direction as i keep hoing round in circles.
    Found what i was looking for.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  15. Cyclonic

An article lifted from "Spacereporter" indicating that maybe we really are alone.
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

A team of international researchers have found evidence that humans are the only intelligent life in the known universe, according to a new study published online.

For the research, the team analyzed the so-called Fermi paradox that shows, while there are millions of celestial bodies throughout the cosmos, there is no concrete evidence of alien life.

They broke down the equation initially proposed by Frank Drake in the 1960's that states the vast size of the universe inherently suggests other intelligent life must exist.

However, when the team behind the recent study incorporated new elements into the equation they found it is open to both uncertainties and bias. As a result, it is likely not as accurate as previously believed.

"When the model is recast to represent realistic distributions of uncertainty, we find a substantial ex ante probability of there being no other intelligent life in our observable universe, and thus that there should be little surprise when we fail to detect any signs of it," wrote the team in the research, according to Fox News. "This result dissolves the Fermi paradox, and in doing so removes any need to invoke speculative mechanisms by which civilizations would inevitably fail to have observable effects upon the universe."

Their research revealed there is a 30 percent chance that humans are alone in the Milky Way galaxy. In addition, the team also found evidence that, should extraterrestrial life exist, it is likely less advanced that what we have on Earth.

''One can answer the Fermi Paradox by saying intelligence is very rare, but then it needs to be tremendously rare," explained lead author Anders Sandberg, a researcher at Oxford University, according to International Business Times. "Another possibility is that intelligence doesn't last very long, but it is enough that one civilization survives for it to become visible."

While this suggests humans are alone, the study is not definitive. Many more processes need to be analyzed before that idea can be fully confirmed in one way or another.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Head in sand stuff Cyc. I note they say there is no concrete evidence. Of course there ****ing isn't. One day the technology will be discovered to travel faster than light and humans will be able to explore other galaxies. Space stations with carefully selected communities will travel endlessly in search of the next habitable planet. If there is (at least) one habitable planet in our Galaxy, it is possible that other planets may have been inhabited in the past (and maybe in the future) but it is very probable that there are planets in other Galaxies that are/have been habitable. Dread to think what the inhabitants might look like or how intelligent or powerful they might be. Who is to say that they haven't been here already?

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

18. Cyclonic

The SpaceX launch replay. Just take it back to the beginning. It all happens in the first 10 minutes. We've come along way since the Wright brothers.

Ron likes this.
  19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

20. Cyclonic

This quantum computer stuff is amazing Ron. I've just read an article where a gent called Charles Bennett, a man who works for IBM was interviewed. According to the story, Bennetts is one of the founding fathers of quantum information theory. He's one of the movers behind IBM 50 Qubits computer they have hooked up to the "cloud". Obviously an article isn't going to be able relate too much in the way of the computer's progress, but from what's been written, a machine with just a few hundred Qubits would be able to "perform more calculations simultaneously than there are atoms in the known universe".

Below is a pic of IBM's 50 qubits quantum computer. I think it's about a metre high.

please log in to view this image