1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The season 2020 - 2021.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

How do you fit a quart in a pint pot??
    22000 season tickets
    Max capacity around 27500.
    How is that going to work?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Maybe I am tired, but what exactly are you asking?

3. Bure budgie

Simple question,how do 22000 season ticket holders,who have aiready paid up front for their tickets,get to see live games at Carrow Rd,when the capacity will be reduced by 3/4 to approx 7000.
    A lot of people on here seem to think we are returning to normality in the near future. No chance.
    Doing a lottery draw for a possible seat will not work.
    I travel to games with 4 other supporters and we all sit together.No way will supporters want to be split up willy nilly to any seat in any area.
    By the way,season ticket holders for current season have still not been reimbursed for missed games.I personally am owed nearly £300,and have paid out £850 for next season.
    If you are to tired to understand this,thats not my problem.

4. zogean_king

Dude you need to chill out, yes there is going to be disruption and a lot of people are going to be disappointed by not being able to go to matches. When there is reduced capacity then not everyone will be happy, in fact a lot of people will be unhappy, but some sort of lottery will enable some people to see games. I don't think the club will do this, but if there is no compromise then perhaps they should do the Solomon option.

The suggestion of a lottery I put earlier was a simple one, but no doubt would be made more complicated because people wish to travel together i.e. friends or a husband and wife. To factor this in, perhaps a website where people register (before a deadline) to link tickets for the season which links all those up to a maximum of 5 in total (one car load) so they all get to see the same game.

Whatever the club does, people will be unhappy, but also there will be a number of elderly and infirm that are essentially keeping themselves in a lockdown of sorts. I know two long term season ticket holders who will not go to games whilst Covid-19 is still prevalent, because they are high risk, these can't be the only ones.

Rather than pointing out the obvious and complaining, what is your solution do you have a better option than a lottery?

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Difficult one, but many people, particularly those who are older like my wife and I are still isolating. We don't go to shops or anywhere social distancing can't be maintained, so we wouldn't go to a match, even with reduced capacity. That tendency might increase the chances of others willing to go.

6. Bure budgie

[QUOTE="zogean_king

Rather than pointing out the obvious and complaining, what is your solution do you have a better option than a lottery?[/QUOTE]
    Contrary to pointing out the obvious I was attempting to highlight the difficulties in opening up the stadiums.
    There is no satistactory option,that will suit all the fans,I think you will agree,andcertainly a lottery is to complex and unworkable.
    My solution would be to suspend all season tickets,reimburse the costs,in my case over £1000,and play behind closed doors untill all fans can attend.
    If that takes 6months or a year,so be it.
    We are still in trouble with this epedemic and nowhere near the end

Stand by for the flack

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  7. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I agree about suspending season tickets for the coming season BB, but not about playing matches behind closed doors. Why not just let individual attitudes to risk be the primary determinant of who gets a seat? Open grounds to fans subject to whatever safeguards are current, then allocate however many tickets are available to those happy to take them up, on a first come, first served basis.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  8. Bure budgie

If you could trust fans to behave within the regulations,I would agree,but unfortunately football supporters seem incapable of adhering to them.(see Liverpool and Leeds fans)
    Surely if fans cannot be trusted,you have to make the decisions for them.

9. RiverEndRick

As for next season, it's hard to predict how things might develop. Hopefully the players will see it as a fresh start and hit the ground running. How many players leave will also be a key factor, but hopefully SW will have equally skilled players lined up. Those signed or rumoured so far may have an immediate impact, but it may also take time for them to adjust to Farkeball and we'll just have to see what happens.

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll give DF 8 games to prove that this season was a one-off, that there's no hangover - for him, or the players.
    (At the moment, he looks like he's lost the dressing room and they look like lost sheep)
    That's irrelevant of who stays / who starts, etc. Existing or new, young or old.
    Let's just hope we get a kind early fixture list, with no Bournemouths, Villas or Watfords first up.

11. zogean_king

Can you still buy season tickets? If you can I agree that this is the first thing that should be stopped. If at Christmas things are somewhat back to normal, they can do half season tickets I suppose.

I still think a lottery could be had, or some sort of advantage given to those who normally have season tickets to be able to watch the games if at a reduced capacity would be the way forward.

12. Bure budgie

Don't you read other posts?
    Season tickets are and have been for years SOLD OUT.
    This is the point me and others have trying to make out in previous posts.22000 tickets already sold and paid for.
    That's the problem,too many season tickets.
    Your idea of a lottery is unworkable,Fans want to watch games with mates in their regular seats.
    The club will hold onto the season ticket money,just like the travel agents,tour companies,aircraft companies etc
    because they don't give a toss for other peoples money problems.
    If they cancel season tickets they will have to pay back approx £11M, that aint going to happen.
    Suspend next season,untill fans can attend.
    We are still in a serious pandemic,and nowhere near safety.

13. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

This is why once back to normal the price of season tickets should be increased and the number available reduced to allow for more fans that for whatever reason buy a season ticket to see the occasional gam. Supply & Demand basic business practice. Alternatively increase ground capacity so percentage of seats taken by season ticket holders is reduced.

In the meantime PERHAPS sell season tickets as normal and give each ticket holder a rebate (either in cash or off the following seasons ticket) per game where their seat isn't available.

14. RiverEndRick

Tettey lays out what we need for the Championship:

http//www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/tettey-blueprint-for-city-s-recovery-1-6753114

His emphasis on 'character' is particularly apt:

“Obviously the character of these players needs to be spot on because we know that it doesn’t matter if you’ve come down from the Premier League, the Championship is the Championship and if you don’t have people with character that are ready to go three games in a week, it doesn’t matter that you have come down, you will struggle."

It's going to be a battle and we need to be prepared for it.

15. Bure budgie

So season ticket loyalty means nothing.
    Sell to the highest bidder.
    As I said on previous posts,this season ticket holders have still not been reimbursed for missed games,as well as the cost for next season.My estimation that the club would have to pay out around £15M.
    Supply and demand is great when you are successfull but not when the team is in decline.
    As for increasing capacity,that would cost a fortune and take at least 2 yrs.
    If the club show no loyalty to ongoing season ticket holders,who stood by the club in both good and bad times (remember Rodent and Col U) they will live to regret it.

16. zogean_king

Yes I know we usually sell out of season tickets, which is why I thought I would clarify as I know of now three people who have decided to give them up due to covid. I was wondering if the club was just letting them trickle in and not reselling them. As far as the club holding onto money from season tickets,I was talking yesterday to a family member who renewed and has already got his money back after saying he won't be going due to being a high risk category next year.

Everyone will need to compromise, if you don't want to go and the stadium is partly open then fine, a lottery/ rotation is the fairest way to decide with limited capacity. It would be good to (the following season) make the seats held in the 19/20 season available again to those who want them. Other than a lottery perhaps they sell the tickets first come first served.

I don't know why you keep saying a lottery is unworkable, it is workable, it would take effort and yes people would have to compromise, but these are exceptional times.

The other point by carrowcanario is valid, we either need a larger stadium or something to satisfy demand, because currently the ground is virtually full all the time. The ground being full is down to a number of factors, including geographic isolation and all the hard work the club did to build a generation of fans through football in the community to build us up from the 15-18k of the mid to late 90s.

robbieBB likes this.
  17. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To wade into this debate...

"This is the point me and others have trying to make out in previous posts.22000 tickets already sold and paid for. That's the problem,too many season tickets....The club will hold onto the season ticket money,just like the travel agents,tour companies,aircraft companies etc because they don't give a toss for other peoples money problems...If they cancel season tickets they will have to pay back approx £11M, that aint going to happen."

Working assumption has to be that at some point next season we're allowed some fans in the ground, but less than 100% occupancy. It's also fair to assume that these restrictions might be tightened/loosened with little notice. Therefore, it's pretty tricky for the club to issue refunds unless a supporter wishes to return their season ticket. We might see 25% occupancy from October, we might have no spike in virus cases and be back at 100% attendance by Christmas. But then we could find packing large crowds close together causes a spike and we're back to 0% occupancy from March. The club would have to refund 75% of the value of their season tickets, then demand a large chunk of that back, then refund some of it again. It's not exactly practical.

Given the uncertainty, and the assumption that season ticket holders want to see as much football as possible, the club just need to release booking slots for season ticket holders in blocks. 25% capacity? Open up a 4-game booking block and allow season ticket holders to sign up for one game in the block, and state the members of the bubble they wish to sit with. Should be relatively straightforward. Fans have signed up to being available for every home game, if you want to add some randomness to make sure it's not the fans with the fastest internet connection that get the best games, fair enough. If you want to designate certain areas of the ground where those with greater health concerns can be accomodated, great. If you want to allow fans who feel uncomfortable to defer their attendance slots until later in the season on the assumption that the coronavirus situation will subside, great. Then issue rebates based on matches missed at the end of the season.

There was talk from Webber at some point where they were considering another "Canary Bond" scheme (on a larger scale) to fund a rebuild of the Geoffrey Watling stand. I don't know how advanced plans are for the construction or the funding, but is the current situation not an ideal time to redevelop Carrow Road? We could level the Geoffrey Watling, house press, etc in the boxes in the Barclay and N&P, and build temporary changing facilities for each team in the concourses of the Jarrold. We don't have to worry about where to put displaced season ticket holders, corporate facilities, etc because they aren't allowed in the ground anyway.

18. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Season ticket prices have been frozen for the last 7 years, 8 if you include next season, which in real terms means the cost of a ticket has gone down, which makes no sense at all when the ground gets sold out almost every game. Success or otherwise is irrelevant in terms of supply and demand. If demand is greater than supply then prices should go up. If supply is greater than demand then prices go down. It's a basic economic concept and one that is not difficult to understand. There are plenty of loyal fans out there, not just season ticket holders and I think the club should do more to support fans that for whatever reason aren't able to apply for a season ticket. So I would like to see the number of season tickets as a percentage of capacity reduced, by increasing the price and more seats freed up for casual supporters.

19. Bure budgie

With your 3 tickets returned,that only leaves 21997 to fit in the ground.

20. Bure budgie

As this debate is poinless.
    No one has the answer,its all iffs and buts.
    Out of interest,how many of you are season ticket holders?