1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The season 2020 - 2021.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Jul 7, 2020.

1. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Actually if we had/ could get the money this could be a really good idea. However I think the club would probably want to see what is going to happen about getting fans back as it could be a while and with everything up in the open it might be too big a risk. Especially considering the ferloughed staff of earlier this year, it would look as bad as (worse than) £1 million celebration with no fans able to attend. Often there is that loss of income associated with rebuilding a stand which would be negated by not having anybody around, but the PR own goal would look awful.

Not me, I live in Western Australia, makes it a bit hard to get to games. Last one I made it to was Bolton in December 2018. We had just arrived from the baking Australian summer (I work in the north of WA) and it was cold, I had so many layers on haha, Pukki scored in extra time and my wife went totally nuts. She is from Thailand but a convert to the canary cause. We tried to get tickets to the Derby game later that month, but they had sold out.

2. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="zogean_king, post: 13971605, member: 1016772"
    Not me, I live in Western Australia, makes it a bit hard to get to games. Last one I made it to was Bolton in December 2018. We had just arrived from the baking Australian summer (I work in the north of WA) and it was cold, I had so many layers on haha, Pukki scored in extra time and my wife went totally nuts. She is from Thailand but a convert to the canary cause. We tried to get tickets to the Derby game later that month, but they had sold out.[/QUOTE]
    Understand the logistics there.<cheers>
    Casual supporters at Carrow Rd has allways been a problem.
    All seater stadia is the major stumbling block,but ditching the loyal season ticket holders is not the answer.

zogean_king likes this.
  3. zogean_king

Agree we need a bigger stadium or something to satisfy demand!

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  4. Bure budgie

A bigger stadium would be nice,but expensive.
    Our Capacity: 27,244 with Average Attendance: 26,014.
    So there is still an average 1230 seats unsold.
    I know the big games sell out,but if we pay out £millions and still cannot sell the additional seats to casual fans,the club will have to allocate these seats to the fans on season ticket waiting list to guarantee income.
    Back to square one for the casual visitor.

5. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that we're not always sold out. I've certainly had 'sold out' come up numerous times when I've tried to get a ticket.
    Average attendance is around 27,024, so not far off full, and I guess some punters don't always make it to the ground.

6. zogean_king

Do we not need to leave a few seats for a buffer between away fans? Which might be another reason for a slightly reduced amount sort of 'official capacity' and a 'working capacity'

7. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

The report into ground expansion commissioned ten years ago concluded that we could sustain at most an additional 3000. The current capacity of Carrow Road represents 3% of the county's 2020 population. Just yesterday the EDP quoted an official estimate for a rise of 10% by 2040 which, assuming that 3% remains constant, would imply a ground capacity of 30,000, as per the report. But how likely is it that that level of demand for tickets will be maintained over the next twenty years? My impression is that the age profile of our current season ticket holders is weighted heavily towards the older end. Are there sufficient numbers in the younger age groups eager to take their seats when vacated?

8. zogean_king

Another thought, if there are restrictions of numbers attending and the blackout of live games is cancelled, I wonder if we can push to sell some tickets to away games on big screens at Carrow Road

9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

The list is longer than he knows -- at least by 1 <laugh>

11. Bure budgie

Agree that the majority of season ticket holders are 50+.
    Certainly in City Stand,where I sit, the majority are 60+.
    I would doubt that we could fill a 30000 stadium,except for when the big boys come visiting.
    Prudence in the next 3-4 years is certainly required,with investment in players the top priority.
    As for the younger fans taking up any slack in season ticket purchase,I doubt it.Cost would be a big factor.

12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is the typical age group who are far more likely to observe Covid regs if and when allowed into the ground.
    Using sanatiser, following social distancing protocols, adhering to one way signs on entry and exit, etc.
    It's your jack the lads who will doubtless swarm around Anfield tonight despite being asked not to who
    would pose a much higher risk - they think they're bullet proof.
    [Cromer is rammed with them and assorted holidaymakers at the moment - hideous <yikes>]

RiverEndRick likes this.
  13. Bure budgie

Yarmouth is just the same mate.
    Morons on sea front every weekend

14. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

That is one of the reason why I think the club should reduce the percentage of season tickets as part of our capacity and increase the percentage of casual seats available. Generally speaking younger ! supporters are less likely to purchase season tickets. We should reduce the number of season tickets available and increase the price of a season ticket, how the club have managed to freeze the price of season tickets for 8 years smacks of financial mismanagement especially when season tickets are oversubscribed.

15. Bure budgie

I cannot work this out,
    Rather than take money up front from 22000 season ticket holders,you want to put the majority of tickets to the open market,with no guarantee of selling them.
    OK you will sell out the big games,but what about the other games?
    How many will you sell to see Barnsley,Fulham,Swansea,Cardiff ,Reading ,Charlton,Huddersfield etc next season
    Financial suicide

16. carrowcanario

Maybe if you tried reading my posts and thought about what I'm saying you might be able to work it out. Where have I said the majority of tickets should be on the open market ?

Despite being oversubscribed each year prices have not risen for 8 years that does not make financial sense. The price should be increased to a point where we don't sell out. The club doesn't do enough to cater for supporters who can't buy a season ticket.

17. zogean_king

What figures do you have in mind? 20k season tickets rather than 22k? How do you reduce the number, through natural attrition once given up they go back into the casual pool?

18. carrowcanario

Clearly there would have to be some research on the part of the club, but I would think a reduction of 1k would be about right. I would reduce the numbers through increasing the price of season tickets. So if the club took a view that if they put up season tickets by £50 they would no longer sell out and say have a short fall of 500 then that would be a start. If they are still oversubscribed then the following season I would put the cost of a season ticket up again. I don't think it makes sense financially for the club to have held prices for 8 years when the tickets seem to be oversubscribed each season. I get that demand for casual tickets will vary depending on who we play. But if your someone who can't go for a season ticket for whatever reason (i.e. Family / Work Commitments or the distance you live from the ground) it's very difficult to get to Carrow Road for the odd game.

Canary Rob and Bure budgie like this.
  19. Bure budgie

At last,I see your problem.
    You can't get hold of a season ticket.
    I will have a word to my contacts at Carrow Rd to get you one.After all we season ticket do get preferential treatment.
    Let me know your contacts and I will arrange it<doh>

20. carrowcanario

Where did I say I wasn't a season ticket holder.