1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The season 2020 - 2021.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

A brilliant season delivered some cracking goals!! <magic>

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's brilliant Hairy - especially Kieran Dowell commentating on his own goal! <laugh>

3. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed that!

4. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many top class goals have been scored this season

zogean_king likes this.
  5. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

And how many different players scored or involved in them. Kenny pass, Gibbos pass etc.

6. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Onel is a really likeable guy, isn't he? I hope he can step up and play a role for us next season because he's clearly someone it's good to have around.

Canary Rob and RiverEndRick like this.
  7. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

I like the constant ribbing of Gibson for rushing forward to celebrate every goal!

Some truly inspired creativity on display, but Dowells nickname of Simon Cowell is not part of it!

zogean_king likes this.
  8. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Just read that we finished the season with 3000 more passes than any other team in the league, more to my surprise we also had 200 more shots than any other team in the league, second place was Watford. Our conversion rate of just 42% let us down.

“The Championship winners managed 716 shots, the most in the division and almost 200 more than second-placed Watford.

However, despite creating the second-highest number of 'big' chances, their finishing left something to be desired, scoring only 42 per cent of those - and ending with a small goals deficit compared to their xG across the season.”

9. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Does that mean we weren't clinical enough

10. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

mike555, Walsh.i.am and RiverEndRick like this.

11. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote that seems simply to assume that scoring "only" 42% of the "big" chances created "leaves something to be desired". But Opta analysis of big chances other than penalties found that, on average, only 38% were converted. So a 42% big chance conversion rate looks to be pretty much par for the course, taking into account that those big chances include the penalties we were awarded (the accepted xG for a penalty being 0.76). What's the justification, then, for saying that our finishing "left something to be desired"?

12. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Robbie without removing the penalty chances, it’s impossible to know how our 42% stacks up against your average of 38%. And what’s it an average of?

All the stats I can find with clear comparables show we have been distinctly average at shot conversion for the division, as well as being worse than the top clubs who are likely to be promoted.

I appreciate you might want to keep defending your position, but all the evidence, both anecdotal and statistical, suggests our conversion rate - or how clinical we have been, if you will - has been mediocre.

So you’re starting to seem like you’re just refusing to admit when you’re wrong again.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2020/plus/1

https://www.beinsports.com/au/efl-championship/statistics (select goals conversion)

13. Robbie BB

GF 75, xG (Infogol) 77. In other words, we scored just 2 goals fewer than we "should have" scored based on the best available measure (xG). Our finishing was just fine. Of course "anecdotally" we should have scored a whole lot more -- but, on that measure, so should every team that's ever played football.

14. Robbie BB

15. RiverEndRick

Excellent analysis Robbie and I especially liked their conclusion:

"Deserved champions, the common consensus is that Norwich are much better prepared than last time to attempt Premier League survival next season. A period of uncertainty around whether they can keep their best stars in yet another transfer window will surely ensue, but one thing we can be certain of – the process will remain the same."

The analysis of Buendia's year reveals just how good he's been all season, but also how much we'll lose if he goes.

16. Robbie BB

The question, though, is not whether we've had a better Championship season this time round than in 2018-19, but whether, in doing so, we've addressed to any significant extent the weaknesses that led to relegation in 2019-20. As everyone knows, my opinion is that we haven't. In that connection, see the Statsbomb article written in mid-November 2019 entitled "Norwich seemed to start the season brightly. What happened?" (link at the foot of the above article). To quote from the concluding paragraphs: "Norwich might make a great case study showing the problems with playing possession football against generally superior opponents."

17. RiverEndRick

Like others, I feel we've significantly strengthened the defence with Gibson, Giannoulis and the improved Hanley. We've also added greater height and strength, which will also help. Much will depend on the players we add to strengthen further, with quality replacements for any who leave but at this moment, I'd say we have a stronger squad this time around.

The other improvements are the tactical changes and a stronger midfield duo, both in attack and defence, though much will depend on whether Skipp returns or who replaces him if he leaves. We'll have to see where we are when the window closes, but I feel much more confident this time.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  18. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

19. Jedi-Canary

Jedi-Canary Active Member

Tim Krul, Max Aarons, Grant Hanley, Oliver Skipp, Emi Buendia and Teemu Pukki named in the PFA championship team of the year. Brentford had 3 players - Pinnock, Henry & Toney included. There were no Watford players despite them finshing 2nd.

20. RiverEndRick

That's amazing Jedi - a great statement about our players and the three from Brentford, also well deserved. I'd have expected Sarr from Watford to feature, but he was up against Emi who had an amazing season.

zogean_king likes this.