1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Singapore Grand Prix chat & predictions thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Sep 16, 2019.

?

Who shall win

Poll closed Sep 21, 2019.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

61.5%
  2. Charles Le Clerc

7.7%
  3. Max Crashappen

23.1%
  4. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Spinasten Vettel

7.7%
  6. Alexander Albon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. A N other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Oh I don’t think there’s any suggestion they did it deliberately.

I thought he reacted very well in the interviews and post race. He was understandably annoyed in the car and in the heat of battle, but understood it very quickly afterwards.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Yes. Even when he was sort of having a go at strat team he was still being mature and not whining like a baby. His is showing amazing pace and maturity way above his years. I look forward to seeing him race for years to come.

Big Ern likes this.
  3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Don't agree with this at all. Charles should have won. It is good to see the three current best drivers going at it, with no care which wins, Charles, Lewis and Verstappen. Vettel gate crashed a party by being gifted the undercut on his team mate. Mercedes messed up.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Vettel was right behind Leclerc before the pitsops anyway, over the course of the race pace wise there was nothing in it. Mercedes ****ed Bottas to help Hamilton again.

5. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Merc's use of team orders but I can see why they used them. I'd expect them to be backing Hamilton by this stage of the season given Bottas is so far back, and having seen the Ferrari resurgence they can't afford to assume it's an easy walk home for Hamilton if they have a bit of bad luck with reliability or accidents and have a few no scores.

Also Merc were well aware they had stuffed Hamilton strategy wise so probably wanted to mitigate the damage.

Not pretty, but team orders rarely are.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Justjazz and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Spot on .

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Vettel wasn’t exactly ‘right behind’ Leclerc prior to the pitstops, but in any case, that closeness was because CLC had been told to drive slowly by the team to prevent the undercut. That’s kinda the point.

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Everyone misread just how fast the new hards were going to be, the intention was to undercut, but it was Hamilton they thought they'd undercut, not both.
    As an aside I'd be interested to know what the fastest race strategy would have been with open tyre choice.

9. Justjazz

I haven't noted anyone on this site who is a die hard hamilton fan, really don't see how you make that assumption. We were all bored with the early dominance of Merc. I think there is a great deal of respect here for the new drivers on the block.
    I believe Charles was set to win, unless Merc did the undercut, I can only assume they didn't feel the window was right. Well known fact, lead driver in a team has first call on a pit stop, Vettel who had Hamilton in front of him (it was not Vettel who was right behind Charles) was gifted it.
    I think if you agreed there are few Vettel fans on here, I would agree with you, doesn't make the others Hamilton fans by default. I think most on here are fans of talent, irrespective of who they are. I think that is what makes this forum, which is small in number, worthwhile.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  10. Justjazz

You raise a good question. If memory serves me well, did they say at the start that the medium was 1.2 seconds slower and the hard 2 secs slower.
    Ignoring traffic issues and whether the gap per lap changes over a long distance, if using the medium meant an extra pit stop and assuming a pit stop cost 24 secs then you would need 30 laps on the medium to stay even as you came out of the pit lane after a second pit stop. Again, ignoring all traffic conditions, simple math suggests if first stops were at lap 20, a medium ran for 30 laps, then 22 sec advantage by the end of the race if you went back on softs for last 11 laps. All messed up by safety cars, traffic etc etc. A switch to softs under the safety car might have been a good choice, other than track position.
    Of course, that is just the paper math.

In the new era post next year aero allows closer racing would it be sensible to allow free tyre choice from the start for the top 10 (haven't noted that as a change but I do believe that tyre blankets are to be banned from 2021).

Big Ern likes this.

11. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

really? Can they keep them in a heater until the pit-stops, or do they have to be at the track-side ambient temperature?

12. Justjazz

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...or-racings-future.1Yaz5mXGa4RqEzyCt8meC2.html

Copy and paste from the above site, it uses the word 'proposed' so not yet accepted.

MORE DETAIL

• It's recognised that pit stops are important in F1 and valued by fans, so as Symonds says, the plan isn’t for Pirelli to produce a super-hard, “Le Mans-type tyre that will go on and on and on”

• It’s been proposed that tyre blankets be outlawed for 2021

Number 1 Jasper and Big Ern like this.
  13. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They're going to have to seriously change the tyre compounds if there is to be no blankets at all, otherwise they'll be leaving the pits on essentially sheets of ice.

14. Justjazz

As a proposal I guess those are the sort of questions they have to answer before agreeing to implement. It will be difficult if at ambient temperature otherwise, I will avoid the term mayhem.