1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

cos we are nosey?

Really though its about him and others, not about us.

He talks about living under pressure and hiding for 6 years. nobody should have to live that way so I don't actually need to know but whoever is living like that needs to know we are ok with it as much as possible.

the Neanderthals in europe and here will make an issue of it so the majority need to back the players.

IMO.

2. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

We should only be concerned about a footballer's ability. Chanting fans and 'fans' on social media will pick on players for anything. If a player isn't able to cope with possible abuse then they should think twice about revealing their personal lives. It's wrong that it has to be this way but that's the reality.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

but condemns another generation to this cycle.

4. johnsonsbaby

There is always the option of a gay player just living his life and not feeling the need to officially confirm or deny anything. Most players are extremely private in their personal lives.

5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Like Gazza <laugh>

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

If you said that at a pride march you'd be lynched ;)

this is one we won't agree on mate but hey whats new :)

7. johnsonsbaby

I'm not gay so I don't understand the pressure that players talk about in hiding their sexuality because I've never had to think about it.

If people want to come out, do that, if they don't then do that. I'm not for one minute saying stay in the closet because we don't want to know. I'm only talking specifically here about gay footballers so the gay pride comment is a red herring. :p

8. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah but its not.

Not sure how you don't get that just saying they should keep it private can be construed really negatively but people who are already struggling with it. We've had groups give talks on this stuff at work and that ****. average of 5 years before they tell parents etc. it seems a real issue to them not us so I just think we need to be careful about how we put across the point that we are fine with this.

9. saintKlopp

My argument would be to ask why it should even be news. It's his way of being and is of no relevance to his profession and really ought to be of no interest to anyone other than his own inner circle of friends and family.
    Have we really come no further than this - that someone has to announce their sexuality?

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'm just awaiting the thousands of "I'm straight" news articles now.... #mustpublicisesexuality

johnsonsbaby and saintKlopp like this.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Do you seriously think a PL footballer could just live his life as a gay man over here without ever mentioning it, without the tabloids being all over it when spotted out with a partner or in a gay club or whatever?

12. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I think in an ideal world, you wouldn’t need to come out publicly with it. It would be the norm. You find out a player is gay, ok so what, no diff than finding out he’s straight.

But we all know that’s not how the world is at the moment and it needs people like him to take that first step in order to normalise things.

He’s probably taken control of things as well. He probably was worried about being seen with a man, someone taking a photo releasing it to the press and there being questions and it being a dirty secret. This way it’s released to the world on his terms and he can now get on with his life.

I Like I’m sure many others couldn’t care less, but as a straight white male we have that ‘privilege’ that we aren’t labelled and things we do aren’t headline news.

Fair play to him, the hope would be that he goes on to have a normal career, maybe inspired a few younger guys who are gay/bi or anything else that you can make w career in football as a gay man, and suddenly it becomes more the norm.

13. saintKlopp

Perhaps I wasn't clear - I'm dismayed that someone's private life is considered to be public property in that way.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  14. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I’m guessing you don’t have Instagram or anything Saint, but how many people put photos of them abs their partners on there and it be no issue. Nothing to even think about.

you think if this guy did that, put pic of him and his boyfriend on Instagram suddenly every paper wouldn’t be all over it, making stories and putting things out there that who knows if they’re true?

Yes it shouldn’t be news, but surely your not naive enough to think that it isnt a big deal? How many times do you see things about black kids having black role models, people that show them they can succeed in certain jobs no matter the colour of their skin, don’t gay teenagers need similar?

15. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Me too, but that’s how it is, so it makes it impossible for a gay player to just live his life as he would do if it wasn’t for the fact he was a top player in the public eye. Meaning that if they choose not to hide their real selves then they’ve got to publicly come out.

16. saintKlopp

I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, I'm saying it's a sad reflection on society that is even seen as noteworthy. I'd have hoped we'd moved on a bit from this.
    Absolutely nobody I know would bat an eyelid at any of our friends' sexuality.

InBiscanWeTrust and johnsonsbaby like this.
  17. saintKlopp

Just shows how wrong you can be. :)
    I do have IG and Facebook - for business purposes (though sometimes I wish I didn't). I even have a Twitter account which I rarely use because it's just a cesspit of ignorance and bigotry.
    I don't follow any so-called celebrities because I have absolutely no interest in their lives.
    Anyway, I think my original statement was perhaps open to misinterpretation, and I hoped my subsequent posts clarified it. If not, I don't think I've anything more to say.

18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I agree with you, but unfortunately the idea that as a society we’ve got past homophobia sadly isn’t reflected in reality.

19. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Business or not, I have to say I'm disappointed and shocked you have anything to do with facebook and twitter. I never have and never will. Completely unnecessary.

Rant over <laugh>

20. moreinjuredthanowen

Its.news probably cos it's not been done and the community wants the support.

Tbh I would have thought the same as you lads as to why should it be a big deal until I heard from some advocates and balancing suspicion of some motives of self publicity with their genuineness I have to say I think it's necessary to make kids feel safer to decide and say things how they are earlier and feel better in themselves.