1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The time for excuses is over

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by quinneristops, May 11, 2011.

1. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

I heard Brucie on the radio today saying we will have an injury crisis at the beginning of next season. I accept we had one this year but I am not prepared to listen to the same excuses for next season. If there are long term injuries, get some cover over the summer. If the injured players recover, great. We must be in a position of strength with the squad. We have some injury prone players that we cannot rely on. We know who they are, lets get proper cover this summer.

2. bald-in-guelph

No; I don't want to hear this. It's his responsibility to make sure that we have the right group of players in the squad that can compete. That's his job as a manager and he seems a bit early to be writing off next season with the same rationale.

3. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

The hard fact is that the revenue generated through the turnstiles was below expectations, so it may be the case that the money is just not there to strengthen the squad to the extent that Bruce would like.

4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Agree MrR but do not want injured players being brought back to soon and do not want players played out of position.
    This training review needs constant monitoring from the pre season friendlies thru the season and lessons learned to ensure no repeat of the problems this season occur again.

5. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Well-Known Member

Didnt Niall say that the income from turnstiles generated very little in the way of income so that can't really be used as an excuse for a smaller transfer budget, unless Short is unwilling to dig deep again because of the lower attendences. If anything he needs to make more cash available if we are going to be short at the beginning of next season. The last thing we need is a bad start because of injuries that could have been averted by getting more cover in

6. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Is it? says who? I have seen NQ say he is disappointed attendances are not higher and that he wants people out of the pubs and in the ground, but I have not seen a hard fact that the revenue generated is lower than his or shorts expectations.

I don't want the excuses either but I also don't want Bruce to go out and buy average players just for the sake of it. IMO buy quality or don't buy at all. I would rather give some of the young lads a chance than buy average all so ran players.

7. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Ripped from The Echo.......

STEVE Bruce admits Sunderland face an uphill challenge to get a fully fit squad for the start of next season.

The Black Cats were without 10 first-teamers for last weekend’s win at Bolton and are likely to be similarly depleted for Saturday’s visit of Wolves.

The concern for Bruce is that five of those players – Craig Gordon, David Meyler, Fraizer Campbell, Michael Turner and Lee Cattermole – are potentially long-term absentees.

Gordon will struggle to be fit for the start of next season after knee surgery, Campbell is out for 12 months, Meyler hasn’t played since January despite being named on the bench twice, while Turner and Cattermole both missed the Bolton game with recurring knee and back problems.

Bruce said: “Even now we’ve got a lot of people out for a long time.

“That’s the big challenge for us now – getting them back, even for next season.

“You’re talking about Craig Gordon, David Meyler, Fraizer Campbell, Turner, Cattermole – they’re serious injuries that they’ve got. That’s the big challenge we face, to get them fit for next season.”

He added: “This season has been as difficult as anything I have faced.

“At the end of January, we had the Darren Bent situation, which was untimely. We all didn’t want it to happen but it did. Then unfortunately the injuries kicked in – Danny Welbeck and Fraizer Campbell. They were meant to be back, but it didn’t happen.

“Then Asamoah Gyan gets injured. It’s been frustrating and difficult.

“I’m sure we’ll now sit down with the powers that be and plan ahead. We’ve got some difficult decisions to make because of the injury situation we’ve got.

“It’s difficult for any club to have, but when you have four or five serious ones like we’ve had then the question is: Are they ready for next season? Can they handle it? We certainly hope so.”

This is serious stuff. Five first teamers with long term injuries is going to be difficult for SB to address. I can see us starting next season with a number of the youngsters, such as Knott, Noble, Adams & Lynch still plying their trade in the first team squad. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so, because we've seen how well Jack Colback has settled in after a few matches.

8. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

Well, the next two games are a good chance to see if they (young players) are up to it

9. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

TBH, I don't think SB will take the opportunity to blood them in the last two games, because he is committed to obtaining a top 10 finish. I suspect the team will be exactly the same as the Bolton match, come Saturday.

10. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

our injury situation this season has been an utter farce and totally alien from any other club in the league maybe a outside consultant should be brought in to over see training and treatment of players in the first team from now and during pre-season to ensure that we are in top shape for the start of the season. NO team in the PL not even promoted teams have an excuse for not having a fit set of first teamers at the start of the season when there has been no international competition in the summer, managers and players have time in the closed season to prepare for what lies ahead, those who fail to prepare should prepare to fail

11. safc73

safc73 Active Member

agree 100% something is not right.......this is not jusy down to bad luck.....

12. rokereconomic

rokereconomic Member

Agree totally. If we can't even start the the season with a fully fit squad of Premier League quality players we might as well not bother!!

13. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

As I have already said,SB is using the injuries as an excuse just as cameron uses clegg in the condem coalition, i.e a human shield. Yes injuries were/are a problem this season, but the bigger problem was when the team crossed the white line, we had a lack of spirit, motivation, tactics and fight, i.e. the 'team' did not show up ready to play a competitive game of football. This major problem is down to SB and it is what he is lacking as a manager, he is just a big old cuddly bear and does get not get the team going. That is why he has to leave.

14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

surely that is what the transfer window is for.

to make sure we are capable of putting out a fit team, and to buy players that will add quality to the squad.

15. InBruceWeTrusted

"The concern for Bruce is that five of those players – Craig Gordon, David Meyler, Fraizer Campbell, Michael Turner and Lee Cattermole – are potentially long-term absentees."

To be fair I dont think Turner will be in our starting 11 next season, Cattermole only plays a third of the season anyways so he wont be much of a miss, Meyler isnt first team along with Campbell.

Only player we probably miss is Gordon, although Mig has dont a respectful job.

I agree though, Bruce should not be making excuses already but maybe hes looking for a bit sympathy from Short's bank account

16. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

How can it be a crisis? A crisis is when you have injuries and no cover, if we know now they are out, act and get players in then we dont have a crisis.

Of those players only one, Gordon, is a problem because getting a top goalkeeper short term is hard but they are there. Campbell is not a squad member next term, how can he be if he is out all year. Cattermole/Meyler we buy a new first team player and they fight for their place, same with Turner.

The crisis is with the players long term future, not with us.

17. Pontsafc

Pontsafc Active Member

I agree with Syd. An apple for you and a bone for your nice dog, Sir?

18. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

One worry is that now we also need a sure-fire 20 goal a season man on top of all the cover for long-term injuries. It's going to be an expensive transfer window just to maintain what we had in January.

19. froggy1973

froggy1973 Well-Known Member

Dear God you all sound like Private Fraser from Dad's Army "We're all Doomed".

20. cuteybuns

cuteybuns Active Member

It is going to be an expensive window. The question is how long Ellis is going to be willing to throw millions at catching up the likes of Everton who don't have two pennies to rub together. I think Niall will back Bruce. Whether Ellis will swallow it - I dunno.