1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The times they are a changin’

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, May 7, 2021.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Matt Gill is out on the back of some other coaches on their bikes. Ward is out. Cook has also been singing the praises of Dyer who looks to be getting more and more involved in first team coaching. The appointments so far have been really encouraging.

After this weekend I think we are going to see a major clear out of playing staff.

Vive la revolution!

Buckyohare, TopBunk, Redruth and 2 others like this.
  2. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Yup. The whole club is being overhauled and it needs to be. I think we need to look beyond just changes to the playing staff. A new CEO abs senior management team with a vision and clear plan for success we can all get behind must follow. And as fans we need to do our bit; show collective unity so every town and village is invested in driving this club back to PL and showing the world what class leading values we represent. We weren’t the biggest or wealthiest club when we won the league, were top 5 for 15 years or conquered Europe. But we did it as a collective force on and off the pitch so now it’s time to go again. Let’s do it.

id encourage all supporters to get involved with the club’s foundation and Kevin Beattie’s as they support our club and local good causes but very few fans are chipping in with support yet we all want the club to be more community focussed so we have to play our part in that.

Redruth likes this.
  3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Skuse and Chambo confirmed to be leaving. Not much other news yet.. has anyone heard any rumours?

4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Sears,Huws, Nydam and Wilson also confirmed to be leaving.

Donacien,Drinan, Jackson,El Mizouni,Bishop and Nsiala have had their contracts extended.

Ipswich Town: Luke Chambers and Cole Skuse to depart League One club https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57058149

That’s eight definitely leaving plus most of the loanees (?) giving PC the opportunity to build his own team.My only slight concern is that the last time the Club undertook such a radical change of playing staff we ended up getting relegated.But I think this major shakeup is essential.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  5. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

The 2 that are the strangest for me are keeping Drinan (I’d like him to prove me wrong but can’t see him ever being a prolific striker) and offloading Nydam who can’t be on high wages - surely worth keeping for a season to see if his injuries are behind him. As for the rest, Jackson and donacien - we clearly want fees for. Wilson - good pro. We will need 4 central defenders for next season, thought he could definitely be a squad player. Huws - never recovered from injury. Sears - never played in correct position / formation other than when he played in a 2 with Murphy. Interesting to see who is coming in as replacements

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  6. Buckyohare

I can see Jackson playing as one of the forward feeding Norwood. He has pace and power and in a team set up for pasding, creating chances and that other strange thing we’ve heard of called a run followed by a cross...

we can’t under estimate the cost of an overhaul. We’re an investment opportunity for wealthy people who want more wealth. They’ll spend but spend wisely and look for margins. It’s not like Man City where they have sooo much money it’s irrelevant and all that matters is running a PR exercise for Abu Dhabi and don’t ask any awkward questions because we’re giving you a great team.,.

the big thing is our midfield...we need two top blokes one who can run the show from deep and one who can pass, mice, run and create. ..is Matt Holland up for a comeback...?!

7. Buckyohare

Error

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. Buckyohare

Sorry I have no idea why that was posted twice...

9. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Agree, biggest surprise for me is Wilson over Nsiala. And keeping Drinan. Given who he's got rid of he could've got rid of alot more. I'm not totally convinced keeping Donacian and Jackson is a great idea. Both average players for this division who should not be first choice in a promotion chasing team but like you say perhaps its because we want to sell them on for a fee but could that risk upsetting the applecart?

10. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

This feels like quite a balanced, calm approach to squad rebuilding. Not as far as Cook's 'demolition man' press comments suggested, but he definitely shipped out a lot of the deadwood and the young players that never really looked like being first team regulars. I don't have any issues with the outgoings really, with the possible exception of Wilson at centre-back - only because I think he could be a fairly solid squad option for next season. I won't miss any of the departing loan players, again with the exception of centre-back Martin McGuinness, who I think has a fairly bright career at Championship level.

Regarding the retained players, I strongly suspect that both Jackson and Donacien will be moved on for fees, to at least recoup some of the cash we splurged on getting them in three years ago. They've barely been involved in Cook's plans, and I struggle to see how Jackson would fit into his ideal starting eleven with one centre-forward, especially with Norwood managing to get double figures in a very difficult year for him - fitness and form wise. Donacien will likely get interest from a League One team looking to avoid relegation or a League Two club chasing promotion. Jackson had Championship interest as recently as January, so I can't imagine we'll struggle to get interest for him - although maybe at League One level. Keeping Drinan surprises me - as the decision does for most of us on here. He is not League One standard. I'd even struggle to see him doing well in League Two, to be honest. El Mizouni, Bishop, and Edwards makes sense - although I wonder if we'll be trying to move Edwards on for a fee? Nsiala is a bit of a surprising one, but he's not been that bad for us in the second half of the season and I'd argue he's probably been our best, in-form centre-back since January. I can't see him starting next season. I think we'll look to bring at least one centre back in, perhaps two for squad depth, and partner somebody with Wolfenden.

And undoubtedly the end of a rather mediocre era with Chambers, Skuse, and Sears all departing. I wonder if they'll rock up at Colchester - along with a certain Alan Judge also linked to our near neighbours. Although they didn't achieve anything at the club, they undoubtedly had a lot of passion in the club and really bought into the local area and doing the charity work, I wish them well but I think it was absolutely the right decision to move on from them and we don't owe them a post-playing career, as harsh as that may sound.

11. itfcptc

Seen reports that Cook seems to have told pretty much the whole squad bar KVY and Norwood that they aren't in his plans moving forwards.

Have to say if this is true its something I completely disagree with more from the point of view that I find it difficult to imagine he'll be able to recruit a whole new team successfully over 1 transfer window and therefore will be left managing a very unhappy squad next season. Plus some of them I'm sure can be good players for us especially some of the younger players.

I rate Cook but since the new ownership came in he's been a bit like a kid in a sweet shop, he's got to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, it's already stung him this season when we could and should have got into the playoffs. I hate to say it because I didn't particularly like his football philosophy but in terms of man management of players Mick takes some beating.

Nuggets likes this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Mick’s man management got us nowhere. Now that there are new owners who won’t allow the club to be one big jolly for the players and coaches, let’s see whether having higher professional standards does get us somewhere.

13. itfcptc

Just because someone demands higher standards and throws the baby out with the bathwater doesn't mean its the best way to get higher standards. That attitude got Keane and Hurst very far for us also

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It was only the lazy players that didn't like those managers. Keane has been praised for his man management by some of them and sacking Hurst so early in his tenure was a catastrophic mistake for Evans.

15. itfcptc

Such a WUM Yorkie

16. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I'm generally of the opinion that a squad clear-out is required, and that the eight released players so far has not gone far enough. However, there's a difference between getting rid of the deadwood/letting a couple of ambitious players going for a decent fee compared to effectively disposing of the entire squad! As itfcptc says, I struggle to see how you can replace an entire starting eleven and squad in just one summer transfer window (or even a couple) and expect instant success. While many of these current Town players - and indeed the club as a whole - has disappointed and underachieved in the past couple of years in League One, I question the judgement of such widespread changes while expecting promotion. The likes of KVY, Wolfenden, Kenlock, Downes, Dozzell, Bishop, Lankester, Dobra, and Norwood should still be squad players for us next season and I'd like to think their form would improve when they're surrounded by better players. If it's a question of Cook not being able to work with these players - presumably almost all of the players - then it's quite an unprecedented move to keep the manager and sack the players. I guess the patience with these players has run out, particularly given their lack of success over the last few years. Does this mean the pressure will be on Cook straight away? I'd question the sense of sacking him in January, let's say, if we're outside the play offs but it's very much a squad built by him.

TopBunk, Redruth and itfcptc like this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think it’s being taken a bit too literally. Some players will not get decent offers in for them, some he will want to keep and some he will be desperate to ship out.

I don’t see anything wrong in the position we find ourselves in with telling the squad in May that any of them could be moving on. Whether they do stay in some cases will be based on what shape they’re in after their holiday and their attitude and performance when they start training again.

Norwood is one player we’d all rate at the top of our lists of contenders to stay but if he comes back overweight and unfit what does that tell the manager?

18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Let’s be honest the Club’s needed a shakeup from top to bottom since mid way through Mick’s tenure.Hurst wasn’t given enough (barely any) time to sort things out and Lambert either ran out of steam/motivation or the job was beyond him.

I’m not expecting an immediate turnaround in fortunes next Season and hope Cook is given at least two transfer windows to build a new squad and get it playing the way he wants.I think he’s had enough time now with the current crop to work out exactly who fits in with that plan.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  19. itfcptc

I'm very prepared to give Cook at least 3 transfer windows to shape the squad, because however he approached this it would take time however he's made big mistakes IMO in terms of man management so far and this strikes me as another mistake.

As you say Nuggets some of these players with some signings could actually be decent for this level. And we seem to have gone from having one of the best squads in the division they just need better management/coaching to getting rid of the whole squad because they're not good enough. I'd say it's somewhere more in the middle.

I think you might be right though Yorkie, I don't entirely believe what has been reported, as it doesn't make sense on a number of levels. Why would players be offered new contracts to be told they could leave, you're just going to be managing am oversized unhappy squad which would not make a great working environment plus given the lack of interest I would imagine there would likely be in a few of them it doesn't make financial sense, especially as I doubt the players themselves would get a better contract and could just sit on it. I'm really trying to believe there has been crosswires here as it just seems stupid (like the decision to openly criticise the players when we could have comfortably got into a playoff place).

If it is true it certainly puts more pressure on Cook. The first time my first choice manager has ever been appointed by Ipswich and if I didn't know his reputation I would be very worried now as so far I think he's made alot of poor decisions.

20. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things we do not know. one of them being was he offered the job on the back of previous jobs (Wigan). they waved a load of money at him & he just said yes count me in rather than doing a bit of digging & looking at the foundations etc.... Just before they booted Lambert out we were on the cusp of the play offs. PC took away any chance of that, on purpose ?
    I agree with ITFCPTC he has made lots of poor decisions & needs to get a good start next season to show us he had a plan all along.

itfcptc likes this.