1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Title

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 3, 2017.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read a story on the beeb website tonight by Derek Adams where he says the title chase is over and he gives it to Doncaster. Obviously he still believes in automatic promotion just not as Champions anymore.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that is a bit on the defeatist side. Or, is it just a bit of kidology on his part to try to gee up the players into trying to prove him wrong. I hope it's the second one because a manager should never be handing anything over to another team until it is no longer possible not to.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Derek Adams is just being realistic sensible.....Doncaster have a far better goals plus record....so we need to win 7 more points than them from 18 available to play for, I can't see Doncaster falling apart to allow that to happen..... even if we win all six games.
    Adams is more worried to stay in the top three until the end of the season.....after the horrors of Wembley for him and 35,000 greens and the players who didn't turn up.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I realise it's unrealistic currently to even think we can still be No.1 but I am not sure it's the job of the Manager when he needs a bit of effort from the troops to be telling them they've blown it. 50% coaching and 50% man management including instilling belief.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Was talking to a chap I have known quite a long time today about Argyle. Whenever I see him we always talk football. He was saying that despite the season so far and the 10 points lead from 4th, he can't get excited so far. The standard of football for him this season at home has been rubbish. Even when I suggested that I would take 46 games at 1 - 0 to Argyle with them defending for 75 minutes a game just to get out of this league and he agreed he would too, he still couldn't get excited. Far too many losses at home and the standard of football has been boring. To be fair, even though I would have taken our position all day long at the start, I cannot fault his argument. He says it has sort of taken the shine off.

He doesn't even own a computer (worse than me eh!) so he isn't influenced by football forums. It's all his own opinion. When I think about it, it has been a bloody dire season football wise hasn't it. We have had some cracking results at home but never had a really entertaining match. Ok maybe a couple but that's not much out of 21 so far. All the excitement seems to have been away. Travelling away and coming back with 3 points in your pocket is a pretty good feeling no matter how they got them. The Wembley final promotion some years back was a terrible game but the journey home was fantastic. What seems to grate with him is the way Argyle are set up at home. We seem, in his view, to do exactly the same as if we were the away team and that is not what we should do at home in front of our paying customers. I see there are a number pretty much saying the same thing elsewhere. What do you think of it so far.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Heard you first time sensible.....:rolleyes:.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't know what you're talking about plym............:D

Bleddy machine playing up.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I know what you mean......mine gets my predictions wrong every week.....:steam:...:headbang:.

8. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I would take 2nd or 3rd this season. I didn't think we would win the league at the start of the season anyway but I also thought we would only scrape 3rd... I will say no more.

We haven't been as good as Doncaster all season (except when they came to HP) so I see them as worthy league winners. However this attitude from Derek could inspire the players who want to win everything to say: "Sod it lets go for it and prove the boss wrong" and keep going until mathematically impossible.

I'm just hoping that Stevenage's purple patch ends this weekend or over Easter so we can relax a bit.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter does it? We need to go on winning games to get promoted and that also retains any small chance of the title. Who knows what might happen to Doncaster (or us) - an injury to a key player, a red card... it's not all over yet.