1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Unibet Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 4, 2021.

1. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

This race is pretty simple to play for me, not interested in Epatante at the price and the only options are Honeysuckle and Sharjah. Sharjah not a horse ive ever taken to but 8/1 looks very fair, Honeysuckle is riskier as shes not a certain runner but if she wins the Irish Champion i think they will have to go for it.

Back Sharjah at 8/1 and be ready to have fast fingers for Honeysuckle.

2. As We Know

I like Gauloise for the race next year, shes more of an out an out 2 miler than the usual mares hurdle types, and the allowance is obviously something that's being exploited more and more, if she does what i expect her to in the mares novice i think they will have to aim for this.

OddDog likes this.
  3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

If it comes up testing and he runs then I think Song For Someone is interesting. Plenty of ifs though.

4. As We Know

Was testing in the International and I dont think that form will be good enough, always liked Silver Streak but not convinced hes suddenly jumped up a level. The form is all over the shop this season in that division but if fit and healthy the cream will rise on the day, and that's Epatante and Sharjah.

OddDog and Ste D like this.
  5. OddDog

Staff Member

6. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

The fact that Marie’s Rock remains in is of huge significance in my opinion. Perhaps, she will go with a run in the Betfair first. She was very poor first time up but the potential remains, people. And don’t forget that 7 lbs!

Can’t understand why the Donnelly’s haven’t put Shiskin in this I really can’t (although the supplement option still remains). They may have robbed themselves of achieving ‘racing immortality’ this year. Namely at the same Festival owning the winner of both a 3 time CGC winner and a Champion Hurdler victor.

7. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

It's probably me but no one has mentioned Saldier for this race..all the talk has been about the other Ricci runner Sharjah but I wouldn't put it past them to run both in this. Saldier has a lot of talent and whilst his first time up effort this season was disappointing he was clearly not ready for it and nursed over the line when his chance was gone. Who knows Mullins could be getting him ready for the big day..

Anyone heard anything about Saldier? Whether he is likely to have another prep run before March?

8. OddDog

Staff Member

Entered in the Irish Champion Hurdle

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/187/leopardstown/2021-02-06/776298/

Ron and CaptainPops like this.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

I did it twice.

Nov 1 2020
    and on page one of this thread

CaptainPops likes this.
  10. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

I ve not got an ante post bet on the festival yet. I will probably back him 20/1 each way NRNB with Paddy Power. Seems fair and he might prove to be the Ricci's number one chance in the race if he runs well in his next race..

Pilgrim likes this.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

20/1 e/w NRNB is a good bet.

CaptainPops likes this.
  12. OddDog

Staff Member

January 24th Update:

A couple of important updates to mention since the thread was started. Firstly, the official entries are in and there are currently 27 of them:

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2021-03-16/772581/

Interesting to note on the racing post page there that the maximum number of entries is 26, so at least 1 of these will not go. I assume, however, many of them won't run and we'll have a pretty normal field size somewhere between 7-14. Epatante remains solid favourite at around 2/1 (bits of 9/4 available) and, given she is only likely to hack round Sandown to win a small field Contenders Hurdle between now and March 16th her price is unlikely to change much.

Dual champion Buveur D'Air made his eagerly awaited reappearance at Haydock yesterday and blew up close home, clearly some way short of peak fitness, before finishing second to Navajo Pass. The winner hurdled superbly and probably nicked it from the front on testing ground but he has likely ruined his handicap mark for the Coral Cup (I assume he'll go up towards the mid-150s) and we might now see him in the Stayers Hurdle. Henderson said post-race that Buveur D'Air will go straight to the Champion Hurdle. Far be it from me to tell Mr Henderson his business but I think another run (even at Sandown against Epatante) will bring him on even further and give him the best possible chance of being in the mix for that elusive 3rd title. But I'm sure the trainer knows best. Buveur D'Air available at 22/1 in places if anyone is interested - might not be the worst bit of e/w thievery ever?

Otherwise the market is pretty much as you were and the next shake-up (at least the next predictable one) will be on February 6th when the Irish Champion Hurdle takes place at Leopardstown. Just 9 entered here with Honeysuckle favourite at 13/8 in front of Sharjah (9/4), Aspire Tower and Saint Roi (6/1), Abacadabras 8/1, Saldier 9/1 and and price the rest. You'd think it would need a very clear-cut victory for anything to win this and shorten significantly for the Champion Hurdle and my prediction is it will be a close-run thing between Honeysuckle and Sharjah, with the mare just prevailing but still no decision from connections on whether she goes Champion or Mares at Cheltenham.

redcgull, karlos5001 and Ron like this.
  13. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Already on Epatante at 3s. The change of tactics in Silver Streaks last run has left me convinced it suits him so much that he has stepped up a level. So i think 11/1 is a great E/W bet.

karlos5001 likes this.
  14. OddDog

Staff Member

Honeysuckle won the Irish Champion Hurdle with consummate ease from Abacadabras and Sharjah and now looks bound for the big one. The market has the 2 mares, Honeysuckle and Epatante, at around 5/2 the pair and it really does now look to be at the mercy of the fairer sex. The geldings who could run in this look a very mixed bunch indeed and I'm finding it hard to have too much enthusiasm for the race at the moment.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  15. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Surely the duel between Epatante and Honeysuckle will be one of THE races of the festival?
    And after Saturday I am backing Honeysuckle!

16. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Despite 5 year olds having an awful record in the Champion Hurdle, we still shouldn’t discount Goshen’s chances, based on one dire performance where he was found to have atrial fibrillation.
    In actual fact, last year’s Triumph Hurdle form has worked out pretty well.
    Despite the winner , Burning Victory, not being out this season, horses behind him last March have done quite well...Aspire Tower, Navajo Pass, A Wave of The Sea, Hook Up- and Allmankind over fences.
    If Gary Moore can rekindle last year’s ability, who knows?
    I shall certainly put a saver bet on him if he takes his chance.

17. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

It’s not just one run though is it?

18. Tamerlo

Nass, I thought he’d only had one run over hurdles since last March - which was when his heart trouble was diagnosed.

19. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

He has, but he also had two very disappointing flat runs when they thought he might be a Long Distance Cup winner. He’s shown nothing in those three races to suggest that he is a horse to be interested in for any race, let alone a Champion Hurdle.

He has also been entered and not declared for races since, so he’s hardly had the perfect prep and in my book he is the worst 20/1 shot around.

20. Tamerlo

Yes, Nass, but I’m assuming his heart problem wasn’t diagnosed until his hurdle run. If he’s not right, then he obviously has problems still and won’t run.
    If he runs, I’ll still have a saver on him- thinking they’ve sorted him out.