1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The var thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Wasn't var brought to right things that the ref didn't see? <confused>

I remember being told that a huge benefit is that it would pick up things that the ref has missed, especially with things like grappling from corners.

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Isn't that the point he is making?, several camera angles and the benefit of retrospective slo mo has a significantly better chance of a correct decision than three people at ground level with obstucted view in real time during a fast paced match.

fatletiss likes this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Clearly isn't working too well then as I can think of 2 penalties from corners off the top of my head that the ref missed and var didn't give.

That's the point I was making :)

4. Saints_Alive

They are a rare occurance that will probably get rarer in time, no new system will be perfect.

Overall we are getting the correct decision most times now.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I honestly don't think one a week is especially rare to be honest.

I'd piss myself if we were relegated by an awful decision.

6. Saints_Alive

But the awful decision would've been made with or without VAR and would have had a better chance of the right decision because of it.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

My point is that it is improving things because it has made correct decisions. It has missed some and we need to know why they weren’t given, but for every decision corrected. It means it is improving.

You don’t like it and are looking for it to be 100% right every time.

I don’t like how it is used but am prepared to give it time and hope they use it better.

Others like it and won’t have a word said against it.

We are 5 games in to the season, even I’m prepared to give it time. If we get to the end of the season, and it has got 150 overturns correct and not overturned another 150 decisions that it should have, then we have an improvement. Like a football team, improvements and progress are never a straight line graph.

We have to remember that without it, we are just back to relying solely on the referees and we all know they’re fecking sh1t. @tomw24 :)

Saints_Alive likes this.
  8. Saints_Alive

Exactly.

If the system is still as slow and does not become more efficient I will be against it in the future but i'm willing to give it a chance because decisions are important and the refs need assistance sometimes.

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

So we've brought something in to prevent something happening but admit it won't prevent that.

Fan ****ing tactic.

10. Saints_Alive

You need to accept that no new system is going to be perfect and probably never will be but it will get better and the vast majority of decisions will be correct in the future.

And I believe that the argument that it is disrupting the flow of matches is dissipating more and more as time goes on.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's fair enough and we're obviously looking at it from different angles.

I always knew it would get more right than wrong but don't count that as a success as I don't think it's worth all of the other impact on the game, the damage outweighs the good. You obviously think it is a success just to get an improved percentage which again, is fair enough.

My issue still remains that it wasn't brought in purely to increase the percentages of offside decisions etc. It was brought in to prevent teams losing out through no fault of their own in big games due to poor officiating. VAR in its current form simply DOESN'T do that a

I've also started to think it doesn't go far enough, seems silly that you can have offside ruled out for the slightest hair being too far forward but if a team concedes from a corner which blatantly wasn't then it doesn't even get looked at.

If you're going to ruin the aspect of attending live matches (imo) then you may as well go the whole way n review everything. The damage is done.

The way it's being used just leaves it open to debate and means refs can still make it up as they go long. Any goal scored at a big club can be looked at again and again to try and find something wrong while they brush off other incidents with a ten seconds review.

Put simply, it hasn't solved anything apart from make me want to **** off my football club that I've followed for 15 years

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

I can accept that it's not perfect.

What I don't/won't accept is that it's of a gross benefit to the game.

All down to opinions though init? Be boring if we all shared them. Might make the Bournemouth thread the #****var match thread <whistle>

Saints_Alive likes this.
  13. Saints_Alive

If attendances start significantly receding and surveys show that VAR is the cause then i'm sure that the PL will be looking at that.

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Couple of points:

1. I don’t think it’s a success yet just because it’s getting some right - don’t forget I hate the impact on the game too, so I’m right with you in that part. They have to use it better and quicker

2. It could never make me want to **** off my club... maybe you need another 35 years <laugh>

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Libby likes this.
  15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Right last comment from me for now but on the flow of the game that SA mentioned then it ultimately comes down to what sort of game we want.

Do we want a game where all the drama revolves around technology, the atmosphere around var chants, and the biggest moments of joy are when some words appear on a screen.

Or do we want a game where we go along, sing "The referee's a ****er", and have that pure burst of joy and ecstasy as soon as the ball hits the back of the net?

Latter for me, all day long.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  16. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When the PL give their next VAR update - presumably in three or four weeks time - I would like to think that they'd include the Liverpool/Matip incident yesterday as a case of VAR getting it wrong. I accept it was another subjective decision, so my personal view isn't gold, but I fail to see how anyone can argue that wasn't clear and obvious. That is very much in the same category for me as the non-West Ham penalty vs Norwich, which the PL duly accepted last week VAR got wrong.

I'm relaxed about the decision being wrong. Firstly, because VAR was never going to be perfect from game one. I've said for ages now to not expect it to work at an optimum level for at least three or four years. If people want to spend those years constantly complaining about it, well I can't do anything about that. Secondly, because without VAR it still wouldn't have been given as penalty. But worse, without VAR other mistakes which have been overtaken by VAR (two of which have happened against us) wouldn't have been overturned. I fail to see how VAR correcting some mistakes is not better than having no mistakes corrected.

The important thing for me is that the PL don't try and hide away. Accept that VAR, surely, made a mistake and learn from it. They came out and held their hands up on the West Ham incident (they had no choice but to do likewise with the Watford incident, because that wasn't a subjective decision), and I hope they do likewise with the Liverpool incident.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

On two, I wish I'd seen the 80s, no VAR/PL hype bollocks and our best team of the modern era <laugh>

On the first one then apologies if I misunderstood, I thought you said that 60% could be classed as a success.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. Saints_Alive

Celebrating goals and later being disallowed have long been a part of the game and with VAR sometimes you get 2 celebrations like with a converted penalty!...<diva>..<laugh>

19. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whether it's a goal in football, or a wicket in cricket, I haven't found myself withholding a celebration just in case the technology later rules it out. I still naturally find myself celebrating as normal, and if the technology makes me look like an idiot later, well so be it.

Even in non-VAR days, it was never an automatic reaction of mine to check out the linesman flag before celebrating. Sure there might be times when I'm already looking in that direction, and happen to see the flag go up first which then prevents me from celebrating. But otherwise it's celebrate first, see the flag later.

Like you say, if anything it can sometimes add to the celebrating, rather than taking something away.

So it's not an argument with really holds much water with me.

20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I don’t understand why the linesman wasn’t flagging for offside the moment the first striker tried to play the ball, because
    1. he was clearly offside and
    2. trying to play the ball.

It's Only A Game and fatletiss like this.