1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The var thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 6, 2019.

1. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

It corrected one wrong decision and didn't turn any correct ones wrong so it did make the decisions better.

tomw24 likes this.
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think you have to have one or the other personally, I don't think you can have different rules for different players who could be stood right next to each other.

Whether they have to make handballs in the box an indirect free kick or something I don't know, but I find it completely baffling that two players challenging for a corner say, are effectively playing by different rules.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

But it also missed a stonewall penalty.

4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It wasn't stonewall. There wasn't enough to make it a clear and obvious mistake by the referee hence why the penalty wasn't given by VAR.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh okay then mate, I'm glad you're the official arbitrator for clear and obvious now. I thought it was a clear penalty myself as did most people it seems.

We'd have been going mental if we had one of those not given yesterday.

Osvaldorama and garysfc like this.
  6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was a pen IMO but it was one of those where if it wasn't given VAR wouldn't give it and if it was given VAR wouldn't have overturned it.

7. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

No. You've conveniently missed out that it didn't overturn a clearly incorrect decision - the penalty that wasn't awarded.

[Edit: just found out from Tom's post that I'm obviously wrong about the penalty, so I guess you're right again]

Vin

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If the penalty incident yesterday illustrates the high bar that the PL is implementing with VAR, then I am even happier that it's being used than I already was.

I really don't want to see decisions being overturned left, right and centre. I think it was a big shout for a penalty, but I would never put it in the same category as the Austin offside goal last season or the Dacoure handball goal the season before. They were absolute, nailed on, clear cut decisions in my book. The ones for VAR to correct. Yesterday's penalty was not.

Not overturning the referee's decision on that penalty incident illustrates to me that we are seemingly using VAR how I want it to be used.

9. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Poor VAR. It just sits there trying to do its best while governing body keep moving the posts.
    If we ever do jettison var, can we please get rid of the prawn sandwich brigade adding the complications to the rules. Bunch of self serving advert sellers. That new handball rule is just mind numbing.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  10. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Don't disagree,but I do wonder if some rules have been introduced (dreamt up) to fit VAR rather than VAR helping refs with the rules.
    Still the armchair fans must love it.

11. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

A guy lost £45K bet on Jesus's ruled out goal. That is sick.
    Bet the cat made a quick exit!

12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Here's an idea: Everyone against VAR should wear black whilst attending football games. It is symbolic (mourning the death of football etc), wouldn't directly effect the atmosphere or players, and yet would look very effective on TV if large swathes of the crowd, home and away, were in black rather than their own team's colours, united by the same cause.

13. King Grimlock

King Grimlock Well-Known Member

VAR would be fine if we had stronger ref's and lino's who trusted their own judgement. It should be a tool used when the ref isn't sure of a decision rather than this all encompassing arbitrator. I can see that VAR will go one of two ways either it'll be used for every decision or we'll see it used a handful of times a season for the truly controversial/difficult situations.

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

It's all very, very simple to sort out. Similar to cricket, just give each team one opportunity per 45 minutes to ask for it's use. Otherwise, let the ref get on with it.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'd be inclined to agree with this if the ref had seen it and decided it wasn't a pen buy that's not what happened. He was looking away and completely missed it so didn't make a decision.

So it wasn't as such overturning a decision but making the ref aware of a blatant one that he hadn't seen. Isn't that why we were told var was coming in?

I disagree about clear cut fwiw, clear a penalty as you'll see imo.

16. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

If that is the case, then yes I would change my view. But given that we're not privy to the referee's report, nor his conversations with the VAR at the time (which is a whole other topic of VAR discussion...), I don't know what the referee and linesman did or didn't see. I'm working on the assumption that he saw it, and acted accordingly.

I'm totally fine with you thinking it's a nailed on penalty by the way. It's a game of opinions. And VAR is still allowing those differing opinions to exist. As I say, the fact that I don't think it was a 100% penalty is basically sufficient for me to not involve VAR (but if it was me, I'd have given a penalty). No doubt there will be a decision later in the season which I think is 100% wrong, but you're slightly less convinced - and in that case VAR hopefully won't overturn that either, despite my personal view.

Libby likes this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  18. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Player gets sent off on VAR. Player storms down the tunnel, heads to his car, drives down to Stockley Park, heads into the VAR room to have words.

"What are you going do? Send me off again?..."

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think a lot more would have been made of the penalty if it wasn't for the handball situation at the end personally. I just feel like situations like that is exactly what it was brought in for and it hasn't given it, like I said the other day we'd all be livid if that wasn't given to us in stoppage time on Saturday.

I understand what you're saying about a high threshold but I think it's strange having such a threshold - no ref decisions overturned in 20 games so - in some departments and then re referring the game at every opportunity in others.

I'm honestly starting to believe that if you're going to use it then you may as well use it for everything.

20. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

It's possible that I might eventually reach that stage, I don't know. For me I think it's a case of waiting and watching for a couple of years, to see how things go. I've always suspected that the final version of VAR will look different to what we first experience.

For example, I could certainly see a incident in a big match at some point involving a second yellow card (either wrongly being given, or wrongly being not given). And thereafter it becomes a big topic of conversation as to why VAR is used for straight reds, but not second yellows.