1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The way forward

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 13, 2021.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I didn't know we only had two points from our first eight games that season. Nobody ever mentioned it at all...

remembercolinlee and Spurf like this.
  2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

OK misunderstood I should have checked his effort at Southampton I thought the freedom of the City meant he'd done ok <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Freedom of the city? Think you'll find that's our neighbours!

We can't stand the twitchy faced ****cunt.

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The trouble with today's world is summed up perfectly in this post tbh.

People refuse to say what they actually think :bandit:

5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

OK apart from Aqueducts and Education and Roads!

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Triffic manager, 'Arry, absolutely triffic.

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Clever dog.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I mentioned the war but I think I got away with it.

Apologies Libby I should have checked my Southampton facts.

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

No need to apologise mate, just one of those things I can't help but correct. He's not a popular man in this part of the country!

BobbyD, remembercolinlee and Spurf like this.
  10. remembercolinlee

I would like a manager to manage the players he has, to drop out of form players (Pochettino kept playing Rose, Dele, Eriksen, Trippier, Sanchez etc while JM continues to pick Dier, Alderweireld, Sanchez);

to not reward players who tart themselves out to other clubs (like Pochettino did with Rose, Eriksen; Dier and JM did giving new contracts to Alderweireld and Dier);

to play to the strengths of the players we have which both Pochettino and Jose failed to do with Llorente and Vinicius respectively;

to stop rushing kane back from injury;

to use the squad better so players are not getting burnt out;

to make better use of subs;

to use our younger players better either by sending them out on loan or introducing them to first team ... tbf Jose has done a bit of this.

No idea who that person is but that's what a manager needs to improve on.

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

No manager in the world will give you exactly what you think is the best way to run Spurs.

You see, the manager will get criticised for not picking the player the fans want. Then if he does, the criticism will be that the player came on at the wrong time or has replaced the wrong player...I’ve seen it all pan out time and time again on the match threads.

About time Spurs fans accepted that buying quality is a big part of football at the top end...the end we aspire to be at instead of all looking to recycle the same set of players.

Can you answer for me please why many on here were almost guaranteeing success in year 4/5 of Poch’s reign shutting the naysayers down but now act like spoilt kids who think they can throw their toys out of their prams again for another project to get us repeating the same **** again without not one single one holding their hands up and admitting they were wrong because I remember myself saying for a fact that our squad in 2017 was ready then..not down the line because this is football and that’s how it works...you take advantage of the now or you are left hanging.

Why I keep on pulling up the fans who say these things is because they will be the same fans who are calling for change again for another project...well I’m not onside anymore with the majority because they are flawed and a big part of the problem.

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

One of these dons.

54684.jpg 54685.jpg 54686.jpg

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Marco Rose, mate.

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

You have misunderstood my point. There is no causal relationship between trophies and profit in either direction. But both come from improving the performance of the team. People keep saying that ENIC prioritise profits over trophies but no-one making that claim can ever explain how that might be achieved.

16. PowerSpurs

Who was "guarnteeing success"? That simply isn't possible. I still believe in the long term plan but there are still 3 clubs in the PL with a lot more revenue than us and two with about the same and only three domestic trophies. In the CL we are barely in the top ten on revenue.

The only way to improve the chance of success is to improve the revenue so we can buy better players. Covid has rather messed that up for us as the stadium makes £100m difference a year.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  17. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

This is most likely the biggest factor that will affect us but at least everyone else will be on the same footing. Mind you, no-one else has a £1bn finance package to repay!

18. remembercolinlee

I think that most of us have been proved right about different things to be fair.

By and large I have tended to side with Enic and Levy but have always maintained Levy should back off with involving himself with team issues and choosing managers.

We disagreed re Pochettino's sacking (although I accepted we were in decline for a long time) ... I thought he should have been given the rest of the season.

We disagree about JM cos I think that his pragmatism is simply stubbornness.
    I am a believer in football needs to be entertaining...I get playing with pragmatism at times...Pochettino was the opposite and it cost us in semi finals and finals imho.
    But there has to be a middle ground.

Even though I ain't a JM I desperately want him to succeed in winning trophies and giving us some decent football.

I have no tolerance for ****ty behaviour from players. That is why I was pissed that Rose kept being rewarded with CL appearances etc after that disgraceful interview yet posters on here said you can't take that stance...I think I have been proved right but I do not expect anyone to say so cos ...
    1. Only time proved me right and
    2. If Liverpool hadn't been given the penalty and Kane hadn't been started and we'd won the CL final then everyone would say the end product proved me wrong.

I do get your frustration but like everyone on here we are trying to understand things and solve issues without access to all the info cos we are on the outside.

A good example is that Pochettino is very respected by Spurs fans ... but @O.Spurcat had a very different view due to him having information we didn't.

Finally I am too loyal to managers ... cos of my memories of how we stuck with Keith Burkinshaw and gained so much because of it.
    But that sense of being loyal has cos me personally. I mention this cos all of our judgements are influenced via our previous and current experiences.

Final finally ( :bandit: ) I am glad we get to chat on here rather than twitter...from the little I see of that hell hole it seems to attract real morons intent on screaming very loudly on the net.

Sorry for such a long rambling response.

19. PowerSpurs

Everyone else has lost their matchday and other stadium revenue but ours would have been the highest.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  20. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I don't know many fans who were guaranteeing success post 2017. I recall vividly taking to this forum in my previous incarnation and writing a CK treatise about how leaving WHL when we did was ironically poor timing as playing at Wembley's soulless cauldron killed the momentum of that wonderful campaign. Obviously that couldn't be helped but what could be helped was our recrutiment policy from May 2017 onwards...and loads of us were calling it out from day 1 of that process. Some, including myself, Brian, Roo and RCL plus others, were predicting 3-4 years ago that we'd be where we are now at due to the short sightedness of that policy. In 4 seasons and 8 windows, we have signed one player who actually represents an improvement on or 'on par with' the 2016/17 side. And he came in the 7th of those windows. Sergio Reguilon. That's it. The rest have either been dross or stocking fillers.

Many of us were warning about it years ago. We were the victims of our own success. Poch's chapter 1 took 2 years quicker than anticipated and so we suddenly and unexpectedly found ourselves eye to eye with clubs whose budgets pissed all over ours. We had a team that we couldn't afford to improve on unless we took drastic action, hiked up the wage ceiling and transfer spend and act far more ruthlessly in moving players on. But we didn't do this. Partly because that's just not the way ENIC roll, partly because Hitchen is a miserable git, partly because the stadium build consumed 99% of our CPU.