1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The week that was - 4th to 10th January

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by NassauBoard, Jan 10, 2021.

1. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

How do you know that it doesn't impact? In your opinion it doesn't, but I assume that you like me are a white male who perhaps has a different opinion on what they see in the sport than anyone say of a different gender. You might not see anything wrong in it, but that isn't to say that its not an active aspect of the cultural impact of these connotations on females entering the sport. You say that its PC world we live in, but surely its more about being open to other peoples opinions and understanding that others opinions are as valid as ours?

Ed Chamberlain picked up on it for a reason, he thought it was worth picking up on. This is fair and whilst you/I might think there isn't an issue, I think there is very clearly an issue in racing.

You state that in the real world it doesn't happen, that might be the world you live in (and potentially I/all others on here) but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I know for a fact that it does happen in the sector I work in, and probably happens in all areas of society. Just because we don't see it, or interact with it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or doesn't matter.

rudebwoy likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Sunday’s abandoned Naas card is now scheduled to take place on Wednesday <ok>

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Amanda was competing in show jumping from the age of 8. She represented GB on 138cm ponies, then 148cm ponies, then horses, until a serious car crash (caused by a 6 times over the limit drunkard with no driving licence and no insurance) put an end to her career in show jumping. At no time during all those years was there any ill feelings between gender and age groups, only admiration and aspirations. The only resentment we ever caught wind of was when one or two parents with very good riders felt that they should have been selected to ride for GB. But females have been competing successfully with males ever since I can recall. I reckon horse racing will reach that same level of respect in time

rudebwoy likes this.
  4. NassauBoard

I think flat racing is likely to get to that point, we've seen with the profile of Hayley Turner, Cathy Gannon and then onwards to Hollie Doyle that good female riders can get regular levels of rides on the flat. We are seeing some good youngsters coming through too with Laura Pearson leading the way.

The issue seems to be jumps racing, where with very few exceptions the leading female riders aren't riding for many yards and are struggling to get the rides their ability should command.

Neil King 10 63 16 11 9 4 £71,375 +44.48
    Paul Nicholls 13 50 26 5 5 2 £270,695 +31.46
    Lucy Wadham 5 30 17 7 4 2 £48,619 +8.71
    Jimmy Frost 2 17 12 0 1 2 £17,512 +9.50

Those are the only trainers who have given her more than 10 rides this season. Surely she should be getting more respect and opportunities, given she is a Grade 1 winner who is averaging 15% strike rate this year?

She is 15th in the jockey championship, on the same wins and almost the same number of rides as Conor O'Farrell, I like Conor and he is having a great season, but christ she is a better jockey and surely she should be getting more rides than Conor?

Then you look down the list of jockey championship and the next female rider is Lily Pinchin with 13 wins for the season from 80 rides. She has ridden for three yards in the main!

Graeme McPherson 7 34 21 6 1 2 £53,594 +38.13
    Martin Keighley 0 14 0 1 1 2 £3,318 -14.00
    Tom Symonds 5 6 83 1 0 0 £21,551 +13.35

The only other female in double figures is Page Fuller with 10 winners from 140 rides.

5. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

those stats reveal a lot , without doubt it’s no level playing field ,

6. OddDog

Staff Member

Is it fair to say many NH yards have stable jockeys though Nass? More so than on the flat? I just wonder whether rides are generally harder to come by in NH than on the flat? There are also clearly less races in NH. I guess it also depends on jockeys willingness to travel. Looking at Wetherby today I only see one female jockey riding in one of 7 races. But plenty of female trainers with runners. You could take the argument to the extremes and say why aren’t the female trainers only using female jockeys?

7. NassauBoard

Yes, that is true. Take Fergals yard, they have Paddy Brennan as stable jockey, they have two conditionals in Connor Brace and Liam Harrison and two amateurs in Albi Tuffnell and Tom Broughton. Now, at the yard many of the work riders are female, but I can only think of one of them that schools horses regularly and that is Fern O'Brien. This begs the question of why?

I think it is culture, racing over jumps is dangerous and many work riders don't want to take the step up to schooling and/or riding in races, but those that do are more likely to be male. I don't see this changing, but what is important is that those who want to get the opportunity to try and test their skills.

Now, look at Evan Williams and his yard, he has Adam Wedge as stable jockey, they have Connor Ring and he has his daughters with Isabel having 44 rides this season. Interestingly though, the yard have used Sean Bowen, Tom O'Brien, Brian Hughes & James Bowen on horses that were fancied.

Paul Nicholls has Harry Cobden as stable jockey, with Bryony riding 50 runners for the yard. The next in the list is Lorcan Williams with 34 rides, then Bryan Carver and Angus Cheleda. Interestingly a certain Megan Nicholls is 4 from 6 on the bumper horses, perhaps unsurprisingly she is getting rides over other jockeys?

The point with those two trainers and their daughters isn't meant to be about discrimination, but perhaps they are getting chances above other females because they have had racing in their lives from an early age and have been fortunate to grow up riding horses.

The danger and the culture of it being a "mans" game is impacting on the number of young female riders coming through into the sport, they are probably going the route Ron mentioned with other equine sports.

Now if there is other bullying/culture issues which seem to be the questions Bryony has been making (RP have been reporting on it more this week) then that is going to cause an even bigger issue for the next generation of female riders in NH racing. Bryony and Rachel Blackmore have both shown that with will to succeed and opportunities that female riders are as good as their counterparts and will win big races.

8. OddDog

Staff Member

I believe the BHA is looking into the bullying issue - although I’m still not sure whether this affects only female riders or all young aspiring jockeys who the older pros might see as a threat to them?

9. NassauBoard

It will be interesting to see, from my understanding (listened to yesterdays Nick Luck podcast) it is to do with Bryony herself as well.