1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Wembley Experience

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by brownbagtiger, May 29, 2016.

1. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

This is the first time I've been to the new Wembley, and I have to say I wasn't overly impressed by the "fan experience". The Hull fan area turned out to be a couple of bars and a burger van with some picnic tables in front of Wembley Arena, no sign of any entertainment or promised live music apart from the groups of Wednesday fans singing loudly 20 feet away. The only other excitement was spotting Chris Waddle.

It compares very poorly to the Etihad last year where there were proper fan zones with big screens, entertainment and the outside bars had stools & tables and fake hedges and a bit of atmosphere. And a lot more choice of drinks at the bars!

Of course it's the result on the pitch that matters, but this is supposed to be a prestigious weekend of matches at our national stadium. Is that it - is that it too for England matches? I've been to big sporting events like Wimbledon (tennis), the Open Golf, the Grand National and all lay on much more around the event itself*. If Man City could do it better for a routine league match in February, then surely Wembley/the FA could do more on the national stage?

(*In the interests of balance I've done my fair share of getting soaked and frozen standing on open crumbly concrete terraces in case anyone accuses me of wanting entertainment rather than football)

petersaxton likes this.
  2. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

I too was at the Etihad and was very impressed. A friend of mine is a steward and we had a walk around after the game. The rest of the complex is fantastic. The area around the stadium was café culture at its best

3. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

The thing I always remember about going to Wembley is "dirty nets"
    Has anyone noticed as your driving through London to Wembley not only do net curtains still seem to be the "in thing" they must have a competition who can go the longest without washing them, some must be into decades!!

4. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Maybe the new owners, please god they arrive will get the chance to develop our stadium and make it more of an experience. Burnsy said this morning that they visited the ground and the city and had plans for the stadium and surrounding area and as such he figured some sort of discussions may or may not have taken place with HCC.

5. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

you have to hope that with the coc and the team in the prem, the surrounding areas of the stadium will be 'upgraded' and smartened up!

6. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I sense some more excuses for "fans" not going to our next Wembley adventure...

7. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

'Kin hell mate we are clearly on the same wavelength.

I even took photos whilst en route to the semi final a couple of years ago of some of the worst culprits.

Grime covered houses and filthy net curtains are all the rage in that area.

Scruffy southern bastards.

8. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

To be honest I was more upset at handing over a £20 note for a Budweiser and a Smirnoff ice in The Torch pub before the game and getting a tenner back as change.

9. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

I'm a rovers fan also! So I've been to Wembley 5 times in 8 years! So make of that what you will? But yesterday was sweeeeeet! <party>

ILivedTheDream and johnbo like this.
  10. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Result! Must have forgotten to charge you for the Ice!

11. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

Agree about the pubs/fans area, it was like they couldn't be arsed. Poor show for the national stadium. The area the stadium is in is a bit of a **** hole. Bad traffic planning that is beyond comprehension really. If the emergency services were to be needed when it's wall to wall traffic they'd never get through. It seems the entire carpark network relies on one set of traffic lights at the end of the industrial estate it sits in. Why were there no traffic police controlling the traffic lights like they do at the KC when they hold cars back to let the coaches out. Also lack of ladies loos in the stadium. Apparently more men need to pee more often than women. Poor show. At least there were mirrors in the ladies though! The houses surrounding Wembley are very tatty. Every front garden either turned into a concrete hardstanding for cars/vans or if they hadn't they were overgrown something shocking. Not one house was nicely kept. Not sure if it is a big rental area but even so they should have some pride in their homes. Dirty, dirty southern bastards. Don't get me started on the state of their net curtains.

Kempton and spesupersydera like this.
  12. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

You been up Bransholme recently?

13. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

It's unbelievable the washing machine hasn't arrived in London yet..... Could be a gap in the market "mobile net washing"

14. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

No net curtains where I am
    13321116_10154230319812417_1024139294_o.jpg

15. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

They're all in the wash (sorry, couldn't resist it)

16. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Have they walked themselves to the wash Pete ?

17. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

The area for the East side is ****. However the area for the West is another story: modern shopping centre, better food and drink etc. The so-called Crystal Room (and Ruby Lounge) is like a Sutton Fields industrial unit and overlooks a down at heel coach park . Dint go in Moore Spice.
    Wembley way is also getting some major building work done......so in short , it was only our side of the ground that is a dump, everywhere else is 'vibrant'.

18. Charlie1

Also the PA system is rubbish.

19. Charlie1

But Bransholme doesn't house our national stadium.

Kempton likes this.
  20. craig27

craig27 Member

Well I had a top day. Litrally couldn't of been better ☺

South West 'Ulltra and Plum like this.