1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Womens' Game

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Draig, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

They want pay equal to the men, despite their games not bringing in as much TV Revenue.

Yet the women also want smaller pitches, smaller goals plus not to be directly compared with men because the men have had coaching from being very young and because men have more powerful physiques

The Players podcast: England's Fara Williams and Lucy Bronze on comparisons to men's games - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56408522

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

It's an exercise in delusion.

Nads and Makemstine Roger like this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

this is very controversial, support and people wanting to watch is what makes a sport popular, who wants to watch the ladies i might take in an odd Sunderland women's match but can take it or leave it, So equal pay good luck with that if your relying on crowds, if your relying on tv money i would hate to think who would buy it and for how much, and as far as altering everything about the goals etc cant see it happening. i see this as a none starter unless the FA sponsor them, but if they want money from me the answer will be FA or FO

farnboromackem and Draig like this.
  4. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I honestly don't know what made me think of this . . . .
    326616543-funny-cartoon-stupid-cows-joke.gif

Montysoptician and Draig like this.
  5. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Smaller pitches and goals would be a disaster for the grass roots game as it would reduce pitches available for both sexes.

6. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

Is ****!!

7. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Not going to happen

8. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito Well-Known Member

In one breath they say they don't want to be compared to mens football, then in another breath they compare women's fullback with mens! Then they talk about wanting smaller pitches and goals, thus changing the rules and making it a different sport. For the record, women in other sports are often compared to men, particularly in sports like tennis and horse racing. They should concentrate on improving and growing the sport instead of going on about equal pay now.

9. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It's annoying trawling through the BBC website looking for scores and fixtures ...

... I don't mind women's football existing but I have zero interest and that's never going to change.

Forced equality, in any situation, is just daft. If women are more interested in watching women's football that's fine but I want to watch the best of any sport, not just where my personal bias lies.

Guy Incognito, Draig, rb92 and 2 others like this.

11. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is this just women whingeing for the sake of whingeing, it's not like the female persuasion are not famous for it.
    just be Happy with how improved your sport has become in recent years and not hanker for something that's never going to happen, smaller goals etc, get a grip ffs.

12. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

While we are at it. I want to be paid what they are paid.

It's only fair.

Nig and Draig like this.
  13. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no problems with equal pay. Doing the same job should mean the same pay. But that means the same conditions, the same demands, the same expectations. So when you can generate the same income to the club, the same interest from the TV companies, the same crowds, you can have the same salaries.

There is no doubting that the quality of the WSL has improved massively over the last 5-10 years. Fewer fans and fewer viewers on TV means the demand for the sport isn't there to warrant equal pay, and it's the demand / interest that generates income via TV deals and sponsorships.

Look at tennis as an example. I'm 100% behind female tennis players getting the same as men as long as they switch to 5 set matches. Their skills and technique are just as good as men tennis players, the matches are as entertaining, the crowds are the same, the TV ratings as on a par. Make the duration of the match the same and pay them the same. Easy.

14. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

I don’t watch it and I never will.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  15. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

This, it’s being pushed a lot in rugby Union too which is my other big passion. There are only 2 professional teams (England and New Zealand) and the rest are just cannon fodder, some of the scores are embarrassing. England win the women’s six nations at a canter most years.

I’ve got nothing against it existing but I won’t watch it and the more it’s pushed in my face the less likely I am to change my opinion. I’d rather watch two 6’5” blokes crashing into each other at 22 miles per hour.

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Ridiculous to think this. Women’s football produces a fraction of the finance that men’s football does. Fraction of the sponsorship, gate receipts etc. Yet they want the same pay?

The only way that could possibly happen, from a business financial perspective, is to reduce the wages for the men! You can’t pay people fir a job when the money isn’t there to pay them

In the last 5 years, I’ve watched more women’s football than in the rest of my life. And I’ve watched 3 games (2 World Cup and one olympics I think)

In that same time I have watched almost every SAFC match I and most Sunday PL games at 2 a week. And a number of championship and l1 games too.

The quality at the top of the women’s game isn’t even as good to watch as L1!!

17. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

It's a terrible watch IMO. I've tried it a couple of times, even paying to see the England ladies team to play at Hartlepool a few years back.

Not for me, mind smaller pitches and smaller goals is something I've always thought they needed.

Not sure why, but I'm quite happy watching womens cricket when it's on. But the football just doesn't do it.

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Totally with you on that. Love watching women’s cricket.
    I played football every week in a completely unarranged team with no coaching. We played against a group of semi professional women (about 10 years ago I was around 35 and one of the youngest on the team) and we hammered them! 11 a side we tore them apart and they were pushing for a professional contract for their team. We were disorganised but semi capable and they couldn’t keep up! Despite us being unfit and untrained! Women’s football is just rubbish generally. Not great to watch

19. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Being a design engineer of heater vessels at a small company, am I entitled to the same wages as the top design engineers at NASA?

20. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

It's almost a different sport really. Men are stronger , taller and faster than women and in the end that will always count.

Pretty sure a good ladies team got badly beaten by a good school team a few years ago, where the same will have applied if the lads were 16 or so. Almost men.

But nowt against womens football being played and promoted, it's just not for me.